“Overpriced for what it offers”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #38 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Overpriced for what it offers”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed here for a total of 9 nights over the 2 weeks period, once for 4 nights on the 14th floor and 2nd time for 5 nights on the 9th floor. Nothing cute or cool about this hotel, typical corporate hotel. Main reason I stayed here is because I got a 50% discount and it cost me $169 per night. In my opinion, I overpaid. Other than location and amazing views from the 36th floor gym, this hotel offers less than most of the $99 hotels. First 4 nights were ok, bed was comfortable, views were amazing, our room faced Stockton but it was very noisy. It appears that hotel is trying to save money on little things that mean a lot to many travelers: cheap coffee in the room, awful toiletries, basic TV channels, no HBO, no coffee in the lobby. I was amazed by the amount of dust that accumulated in the room overnight. Everything was literally covered in dust, it was incredible. Cleaning ladies were super friendly and nice, others were smiling robots. Hotel sells Starbucks coffee for 50 cents more than in Starbucks across the street, but people don't seem to mind that. My last 5 nights were spent on 9th floor overlooking Sutter street, view was less enjoyable, but I was out most of the day so it didn't matter. Bed in this room was very uncomfortable, my back was numb every morning. Overall, not thrilled with this hotel, I can't believe people are paying big bucks to stay here, such a waste of money. Two blocks down on Bush street, Escape from New York pizza has Happy hour every day from 4-6 and you can get slice of pizza or beer for $2.50(cup of coffee in Hyatt's lobby).

3 Thank skeletoncrew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (870)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
River Vale, NJ
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I recently spent one night at this fabulous hotel. The location is perfect if you want easy access to Pier 33 (Alcatraz Tour) and Pier 39. The staff here is highly professional and courteous. Everyone provided a smile and efficient response when being asked a question or looking for assistance. The room was immaculate and the beds were very comfortable. We had an excellent breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Other reviewers complained about the noise level -- we did not experience that at all. Hotel was extremely quiet and we had an excellent night's sleep. Amazing view of the city from our room. We stayed in five hotels while traveling through CA and this was one of the top two.

The only downside I can think of was the Parking Garage. Parking is expensive and it did take quite a while for us to get our car. Allow plenty of time to get your car if you have reservations somewhere -- allot a good 10-20 minutes for retrieval of your vehicle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tampa Bay area
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Arrived at hotel on a Sunday morning and able to check into room immediately.Very nice! Bellhop was very helpful and got us setup quickly. Our stay included Grand Club which gave us food and drinks evenings and mornings. This is a huge plus for traveling with 8 yr old and a teen. The staff at the Grand Club went out of their way to welcome us and remember our names.
We stayed in a double room on the 31st floor with a view great of north/northwest San Francisco. Blinds worked great to keep out the sun and even though there was construction going below us in the Union Square area it wasn't an issue for our family. We ate at OneUp, the hotels nicely appointed restaurant, the food was well cooked and the staff was friendly.
The hotel is close to every kind of shopping imaginable and the main transportation hubs are within walking distance. (5-10 blocks) We used cabs, subway and street cars which can be interesting until you figure out where to go but we found help when necessary.
While in town we visited a Giants game, Alcatraz, biked from Golden Gate Park to the bridge as well as shopping and the hotel gave us a central location to do these activities.
I would stay at the hotel again if on business or I needed a centralized location for shopping etc. but I probably would stay farther away from the city if we visit again with the family. This isn't a negative reflection on the hotel but only because we don't need the nightlife scene, etc that SF's downtown provides.
Room was small but nice and provided a nice clean bathroom and comfortable beds to rest at night. The staff at the Grand Hyatt are very kind and professional.

Room Tip: There is construction on the west and southern portions of the main building but it wasn't an is...
2 Thank lonestar70
La Palma, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I recently spent five nights in the Grand Hyatt while attending a trade show at Moscone Center. It was my first experience with this hotel after staying in other nearby hotels for all of my conventions in the past. My first impression on walking in was it was a very nice place. The lobby has an upscale, trendy look and feel to it and the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient in checking me in. I had a room on the 9th floor and also found my room to be modern and upscale/trendy looking. Everything was not only exceptionally clean but also looked relatively new. This is in comparison to a lot of other hotels in the Union Square area and elsewhere around SF that are often quite dated looking. I was pleasantly surprised that the rooms had refrigerators - a nice amenity when you are spending multiple days in a hotel. The bed was quite comfortable and as I have come to expect in the nicer hotels, you are provided with a selection of pillows with a variety of firmnesses. I also noticed that when I called guest services for anything, the phone was answered on the first or second ring and I was greeted by name.

I would love to give this hotel a 5-star rating, but there are a couple of things preventing me from doing that. First of all, the on-premises bar/restaurant is outrageously expensive. I had breakfast there one morning, and any one of the menu entrees will easily set one person back $25 by the time you include coffee, tax, and tip. That in itself wouldn't be a negative for me. This is afterall an upscale business hotel and you generally expect the on-premises dining options to be on the expensive side. The bigger problem for me on this particular stay was that there was road construction going on immediately outside the hotel, and it was literally 24/7. Because of that I just didn't sleep well at all. I was unfortunately kept awake all night by the unpleasant sounds of jackhammers and trucks backing up. Now I know that's not the hotel's fault and not even within their realm of control - shame on you City of San Francisco or whoever made the brilliant decision to run a major construction project 24/7 just steps away from a major hotel. I would however have to caution anyone considering a stay here that you can't count on a good night's sleep until the project is finished, unless you're capable of sleeping in a war zone.

Other than that, I will consider staying here again when I join the same trade show next year as long as the road construction is complete.

Room Tip: Get as high of a floor as possible to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I would not stay at this hotel again. The room is nicely decorated but the mattress is worn out and sags and is very uncomfortable. There is extremely loud construction noise at night from work on the subway station on Stockton and the front desk seemed to be unaware of this potential issue and not particularly sympathetic. The hotel lacks basic amenities such as a gift shop where one could purchase a drink or basic sundries.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces Sutter to be as far away as possible from the construction and bring ear p...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank lrcctz
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This hotel was a gem. My family of four had a fantastic stay here. The location is ideal just off Union Square and close to all transport. The staff was very friendly and helpful and offered some good tips on getting around. It is close to China Town, Market Street and other great shopping as well as food.

The only draw back would be the room size, but you are in San Francisco where real-estate is prime. We fit a bit tight but well with four large suitcases.

All in all I will stay here again and recommend it to everyone.

Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just returned yesterday from a 2 night stay with my 17 year old niece that I booked in early April. I checked TripAdvisor several days before the trip and found out about the construction near by. We took BART from airport and being summer, Powell Street was extremely crowded but we were able to navigate our way to the hotel. We arrrived about noon and our room was ready but faced Union Square. I could hear the construction noise and we decided to take a "quiet room" away from the noise. We got a room facing the back of the hotel (towards Powell St.) on the 7th floor. Let me tell you, the room was fabulous. It was recently renovated and I thought my niece was never going to leave. The beds are so luxurious and I slept very well. This is unusual since I have a Temperpedic at home and usually cannot sleep on a "traditional" mattress any more. The down side is that I spent many hours walking around the city by myself since I could not get that kid out of bed!! I question my "quiet room" since there was plenty of heavy duty construction noise at 11:00 PM. I guess I wasn't specific enough about what I wanted so if noise is an issue for you please take note of other room suggestions on other posts. Luckily, I was so tired I fell asleep easily.
My niece loved the exercise room and used it every night. The location is simply divine - you are surrounded by all the stores you could want. Chinatown entrance is less than 2 blocks away and I even got her to walk down to the wharf .
I would have given 5 stars but due to no fault of the hotel I gave it a 4 for the noise. The construction literally is a full 3 blocks down Stockton starting at the corner on Post and continuing down to Market. According to the news this is subway construction and will not be completed until 2017. We actually went back down to BART using Stockton and it was so much easier than Powell. There is a narrow sidewalk adjoining the construction site that you can walk down and there is not much foot traffic,.
As a side note, if you like hamburgers try Super Duper Burgers on Market Street. The long line is a testament to its quality (and my other niece works at In N Out so I shouldn't be complimenting the competition!)
Thank you Hyatt for a wonderful property!!!

Room Tip: Be specific about which way you want to face and how high you want to be if you want to try and avoi...