“Wonderful hotel in central SF”

Grand Hyatt San Francisco
Ranked #37 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh, NC
“Wonderful hotel in central SF”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This grand hyatt is a wonderful hotel to base a SF vacation, located next to union square. The check in process was effortless on my part, and the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. My room was large and comfortable, with a great view of downtown. Be aware that like new york, the buildings in the area echo and project sound, so take earplugs if you want to sleep peacefully. There are plenty of muni street car stops in the area, and the Powell st cable cars stop at union square. If you are planning to take the cable cars more than once, each time will cost 6 dollars. You can buy a muni passport for unlimited trips for $15. There are a ton of shops in the area, so if shopping is something you are interested in, this is a perfect location.

Room Tip: If you want a good view, ask for a north facing room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thank you for your review. Sounds like check in was a breeze and glad you enjoyed the central location! We apologize for the noise from the city constructions and we wish it could be completed soon. Your business is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed in Grand Hyatt for six nights on 23rd floor. The room was clean, tidy and modern but one wall of the room was a big sliding glass/window and it was not solid! When pushed, the entire glass door moved out substantially. It allowed plenty of police, faire truck and ambulance noise right in the room. On windy days (almost every day) the steel balcony structure made cracking noises. When I reported this, staff treated me like a five year old and explained that it was normal for a building to move with wind, failing to understand that it was the noise that was the problem, not movement. Bar area is small and can get full very quickly & live music stops early which was a shame. Not a hotel that I would go back to unless I have to. Nothing special; average.

Room Tip: The higher you go the less city noise you have but the wind moves the structure which can also be no...
Green Features: Has separate bins for recyclable waste and warns residents not to throw towels fir wash after just one use.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
glasgow
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

The grand Hyatt is a modern, well equipped hotel with courteous and friendly staff who seem determined to make sure you have a trouble free stay.

I was staying on business booked through my employer and on arrival there was a problem with the credit card they had used for my booking. However the staff ensued this caused me minimum disruption by checking me in anyway had liaising directly with my employer to fix the issue meaning I didn't have to. Superb service!

When I got to my room on the 27th floor I was greeted by the stunning view offered by the floor to ceiling windows. From my room I could see across the bay to the city. It was wonderful to take breakfast sitting in the lounger admiring that view.

The hotel is well situated for exploring the city, a great base for any trip.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank deathsblackdove
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the beautiful view from your room. It is great to hear our staffs were able to resolve the issue quickly for you. Your compliment is much appreciated and we hope to see you come back and visit us again soon.

Warm regards,
Tiffany
Alessandria, Italy
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The hotel is perfectly located in union square, in my opinion one of the best starting point to visit the town. We had an executive room at the 32nd floor which was big enough. The room is modern and quiet (just some noise from the street). Personally I found very pleasant the executive lounge and the view you can enjoy from there. Of course the rate are not low, but in line with the category and the city.
We always had breakfast at the executive club, which for us offered enough.
The parking with valet is quite expensive (63usd) as well as the self parking (41 Usd).
Probably not the best solution but a good one.

Room Tip: Choose an executive room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Knock_around
Ajax, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband, daughter and I just stayed at the Grand Hyatt SF and I would like to comment on the service we received for staying there with our child. We had requested a crib in our room when booking, and without even asking we showed up to a room fully set up for a baby! We had a diaper genie, dish soap, bottle brush, snacks, change pad, baby soap and a rubber duckie to help us with our stay. This was much appreciated as some of these items I hadn't even though to bring. I found out afterwards that this was part of their V.I.B (very important baby) program and I must say it was great! One small complaint is that the fridge was very small, so storing food for our daughter was a little tight. We enjoyed the view from our room (fabulous view of the bay - beautiful at sunset), and the breakfast bar in the morning was a quick and easy way to get started. Hotel was conveniently located and the wifi was very fast.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
The V.I.B. program has recently launched and it is great to hear such positive feedback from you. We understand how much guests have to bring when traveling with young ones, with some of the basic baby amenities already available at our hotel definitely make it easy for the parents. Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. Please come back and see us again soon!
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed for 5 nights on the club level. The room (3005) was spacious with a great view of Coit Tower and the bay. Overall, the staff were helpful, the room was clean, and the accommodations were modern and comfortable.

We used the club room on the 32nd floor extensively as there was no mini bar (empty fridge) and no water provided in the room. The club room was well staffed with free non alcoholic beverages (honor bar) and snacks throughout the day. If you stay on this level you should definitely utilize.

The real plus of this hotel is the location. Very convenient to Chinatown, downtown, and next door to Union Square.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Grand Hyatt San Francisco, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are delighted you enjoyed the beautiful view from your room and the convenient location of our hotel. As part of our green initiative, we have removed all bottle waters from our guestrooms. We encourage our guests to bring their own water bottle and refill it at our hydration station on each guest floor. Your compliment on our staffs and accommodation is much appreciated! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Manchester
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel was having building work going on during our stay. The room that we were put in at first was very small and had an awful view. Our first night we were kept awake by building/construction work going on just outside the hotel. I complained the next day and luckily we were upgraded to a room with a view of Union Square which was much bigger. The gym is amazing with great views of the city. The location is ideal. Right outside Union Square and Macys!

Room Tip: The room with a view of Union Square was much better than the standard room they give you.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family