“Nice and Simple”

Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francisco
Ranked #172 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 3 August 2011

If you can get past the Chinese desk clerk,the hotel is nice.Waking up and looking out at the beach in the morning is amazing.You're close to Ocean Beach and Lands End,two great places to visit.The room was clean.The bed was comfortable,bathroom clean.Kind of a "Surf" hotel.I'd stay again.

Room Tip: third floor has the best view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jj9598
There are newer reviews for Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francisco

Reviewed 3 November 2010

We found this Inn when we went to visit our son who attends SF State and were pleasantly surprised by the affordability and the size of the rooms. I recently returned there this last Oct and was again suprised by the size of the room. When I called for a reservation they said they only had the "big rooms" available and they were about $50.00 more than what I wanted to spend but upon arrival I was astonished that we acually had 2 seperate rooms. One room had a king bed and the other a queen. The only small drawback was the room with the queen did not have TV. The rooms are very clean, and the location, which is across the street from the beach and close to some good seafood resaurants, is nice. One drawback is that the doors and windows open onto the street so you do have some noise at night and early in the morning. The couple at the desk, same ones as last year, are very cordial and try to be helpful. They also have a small coffee shop which is clean, didn't eat there only had coffee so I can't critique the food. I have stayed there twice now and will go back if we are in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My daughter and I are spending the weekend at this motel as I write. We were hesitant because of the low ratings, but due to the SF Jazz Festival, this is what we could find close by the Florence Gould Theater.
We are HAPPILY surprised. I would give this sweet, clean little oasis a good solid 3! And don't forget it's right across the street from the beach, and a short walk up the hill from the Cliff House restaurant where we had a delightful dinner at sunset last night.
Don't discount this one! It's a sleeper, IMHO.
Peace and blessings, Rev. Kate

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2008

For the price, it was a nice experience.
Hotel was in pretty good condition. Could use an iron/ironing board and a alarm clock. Did have ocean view (third floor), microwave and refigerator. The last two items came in handy as we could fix our own breakfast and save a little on meals.
The bathroom's were nice and there were complimentary shampoo, soap and handcreme left each day.
The staff was very friendly and helpful.
There is a great restaurant next door, but I wished they had a cold drink machine for the hotel customer's for "after hour's".
We stayed a week and definitely would consider this a choice of hotel's because of the low price for the season and San Francisco area and the location. Very nice!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Central San Fransisco hotels all full so we came across this. Nice location near beach and quiet. Friendly check in and room clean and good size but more basic than other hotels we had stayed in. Flexible about how long we wanted to stay.

We probably wouldnt come here again but there was no particular problem and I was surprised that it was so low down on trip advisors list of "hotels in San fransisco".

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2008

There is nothing special about the GHI. It was 940 pm, freezing cold, and foggy when we checked in – in July! The other hotels in the area were booked so we had few alternatives. It should be noted that we travel via motorcycle and make no reservations to keep our trips interesting. The room was good size and basic amenities were provided. On the other hand, there is absolutely no character to the place. Its almost 100% concrete, nothing special inside or out. There was chipped paint in the room and the ceiling started to leak in the middle of the night, we think it came from our upstairs neighbor’s bath tub. The repair man said he wouldn’t be able to fix it until morning which was fine with us. On the plus side, there is a restaurant attached (open til 10pm weekdays), and a 7-11 nearby. You might be able to see the ocean from the 3rd floor but it was impossible to tell due to the dense fog.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank ctoberle
Reviewed 18 April 2008

This hotel is in a beautiful location. Across the street from the ocean, close enough to walk on the beach and enjoy the scenery. The hotel is also a few blocks walk from the street car, and also offers a shuttle service. Very convenient.

However, I stayed at the hotel for an interview at UCSF. What I found to be quite frustrating was 1) no iron & ironing board....what about my suit!!?! 2) no alarm clock! Luckily, my cell has an alarm clock and I had a phone call from home as a backup 3) no shampoo! It's kind of essential to look clean and well-groomed for an interview!

The price of the hotel was great, and the cleaniness of the room was just okay. If I had to do it over again, I would've stayed someplace a bit more comfortable (expensive) since it was only for one night and I had an important agenda in SF.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank 313traveler