Every year my wife and I decide to make a trip up to San Fran and usually we tend to stay around the Fisherman's Wharf area but this year we decided to change things up and stay at The Handlery. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Union Square in downtown San Francisco. From the time we stepped off the plane I decided to call the hotel for a direct but reasonable choice in transportation to the hotel. Immediately I was greeted by Jason an employee of the hotel. He gave me clear and precise choices without being biased over one or the other. Being a person who takes customer service and attention to detail very seriously, my wife was quite impressed with his knowledge of the city and its surrounding areas.
As soon as I take a hotel shuttle to the hotel (very reasonable at $17 a person), we were immediately greeted by the bellman Hermie. Now we could tell he's been doing this a while as it seemed like he knew we were coming all along. Very friendly and very efficient. Then it was onto the Front Desk where Tony helped us out of a small jam. Tony gave me a small warning that the Hotel Frank had protests across the street and that may interrupt our sleep in the morning because we were facing the Geary side of the hotel. Knowing I didn't want to get woken up rudely by them he helped me move over to the Premiere side of the building so that we could a more comfortable stay. Great job for that.
To our surprise a voice message from Jon Handlery the owner and GM of the hotel was waiting for us! He apologized for not being to meet us in person and that he wished us a wonderful stay in the city. I don't know about you folks but to me when someone from the top genuinely cares about the welfare of his/her guests, then that makes me want to come back again and again. The room was quite spacious with a singly king bed and we were able to overlook the outdoor pool (which is heated by the way!). Along with the usual amenities it was nice seeing a snack bag in our room as we were starving from our long trip from New York. Seeing a mini fridge in the room helped as well as we are not huge eaters and bringing back leftovers is a must.
During the rest of the trip I wasn't able to interact with many other staff as I was consistently out exploring the town but I can tell you that everyone I did speak or interact with was very enthusiastic and it seemed like they loved what they were doing. The only thing I would say could use improvement, however, is their air conditioning system. Seemed like everyday it was quite hot inside of the room but the Front Office Manager Catherine, and Engineer Carmelo took care of us to make sure our room was in working order. Good to see an efficient bunch of employees.
Overall this is the best hotel we've experienced in the San Francisco area so far. If you're ever in town be sure to check this place out as you can do anything and everything you want. Mr. Handlery you run a wonderful hotel and we can't wait to see you again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Handlery Union Square Hotel is located in the heart of San Francisco's Union Square, within walking distance of world class shops, the Moscone Center, and the Powell Street cable car line. All 377 rooms feature wireless Internet access, mini refrigerators, and in-room safes. Enjoy traditional accommodations in the Historic Section or luxurious, oversized rooms in the Premier Section. The hotel features on site valet parking, an outdoor heated pool, sauna, and fitness room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TravelUp, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Handlery Union Square Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Handlery Union Square San Francisco
- Hotel Handlery Union Square
- Handlery Hotel San Francisco