“Good location - OK place”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #73 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed during the first week of August, 2011. The location is excellent - across the street from a cable car stop and walking distance to many restaurants and shops. Our room was in the second / back side of the hotel with a view of rooftops and other buildings. Room was comfortable, but a little hard to get to because of the various stairways we had to navigate. The concierge was terrible. I called ahead of time to get restaurant recommendations so I could make reservations - no one returned my calls. After checking in we went to the concierge desk to ask about restaurant recommendations and were told "I don't know what you like so how can I give you a recommendation" - nice. We ended up asking the gentleman at the front entrance and were given two wonderful places and the best way to ge there. Other than the concierge, the rest of the staff were nice and helpful, but we probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tnt-la
HusbandofMargaret, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2011

Dear tnt-la,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased that you generally enjoyed your stay and I was surprised to read about your experience with our concierge. We normally received high marks on their service but I will definitely follow up with them. Please contact me personally on your next visit to San Francisco so I may personally handle your reservation. Thank you for staying with us and my apologies again for any inconvenience we caused.

There are newer reviews for Handlery Union Square Hotel

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We arrived late, the flight had been delayed, the San Francisco immigration computer system had crashed - we were exhausted.
Our room - in the newer part of the complex - was large, clean and very nice and the bottle of red wine and complimentary goodies waiting for us was a lovely touch.
Small gripe about having to lug our bags up that small stair case but everything else was great. Staff were very good and the room had everything and more than we required.

Room Tip: Ask for the newer part, it is at the back, much quieter and the rooms very modern
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Dear Tasi,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the Handlery comfortable and the staff accommodating. I have visited the City of Sails on a number times and it reminds me alot of SF with the harbour and bridge. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 21 October 2011

This was a beautiful hotel in the "heart" of San Francisco's Union Square. Short blocks to all shopping and restaurants. Very convenient, competitively priced, and a good value!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the premier rooms. We had a premier king room and it was spacious, comfortabl...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear smithkimberlyk,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments on your recent stay at the Handlery. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and found our location perfect for all of your shopping needs in San Francisco. We hope to have you back from the beautiful state of Arizona soon. Thanks again for choosing the Handlery.

Reviewed 20 October 2011

Driving along geary street, the outside of the handery hotel strikes you as being old, in the fashion of many other san francisco buidlings. However, the moment you step into the lobby, a gentleman is there to stop you where you are to ensure that you don't have to pick up a single bag. The staff and very helpful and friendly.

Our room was on the second side of the hotel and it is beautiful. It was a premier queen and I highly recomend it. There is a modern bathroom and seperate powder room complete with seat and fancy mirrors. There is also a nice wardrobe with the usual safe, bathrobes and ironing equipment.

The main area of the room consists of two large and very comfortable queen beds, a modern study desk, flat screen TV and tea and coffee facilitys. However, the best part of these rooms is the view! there are floor to ceiling windows with views of O'Farrel street or Geary and I enjoyed just watching the hustle and bustle of San francisco from my room.

Location is amazing, right in th middle of union square and right next door to macys. We visited fishermans wharf on the cable car and it is a very close walk. There is also a lovely pool, however, we did not use it due to the wheather being too cool.

I highly recommend this hotel to both families and couples, this is a must!

Room Tip: There is a seven eleven down the street where the cable cars run. To save money, we walked there a p...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

G'day Greeby,
Thanks for staying with us and I am happy you enjoyed the Premier Section and all the amenities it has to offer. Many guests comment on our great location to the major stores and I am glad you found out how ideal it is. I have visited Brisbane on a variety of occasions and each time is a joy. All the best and thank you again for staying at the Handlery.

Cheers,

Reviewed 18 October 2011

was very pleasantly surprised with this hotel, wasn't expecting very much but it really is lovely. Our room seem like one of the newer ones and it was nice, the windows and the like are a bit dated but it never bothered us, we were there to sightsee. Pleasently surprised that we got breakfast vouchers, we hadn't been expecting them and the breakfast next door really set u up for the day. Any of the staff we encountered where lovely and very helpful, housekeeping went out of their way to get us a travel plug and where in r room in minutes, I was expecting them to take their time, she even came in and helped me get the iron going, so hats off to her. Very central location for everything.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank keevs84

Dear keevs84,
Sorry for the delay in responding to your review but I was pleased to read that you had a great stay. I was pleased to see that our housekeeping staff exceeded your expectations and that you found your accommodations and location perfect for your needs while in SF. I've been to Cork and Kinsale but have not had the pleasure to visit Northern Ireland. I will definitely make it some day. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

Stayed here as part of our honeymoon. Lovely welcome of fizz and snacks in our room on arrival and a follow up phone call from Mr Handlery after we had arrived - nice touch!
We stayed in a premiere King on the 6th floor. With the patio doors open it was pretty noisy but with them shut you'd have never have known you were in the middle of the city!
The room was lovely and large, kept super clean - the amenities such as hair dryer etc could do with a little updating but apart from that couldn't fault it.
The staff were very efficient (quick check in/ out) but to be honest other than staying there didn't have too much contact with the hotel.
The hotel is centrally located, near Union Sq and the cable car line which we used quite a bit.
Would def recommend and if we come back to San Fran will stay in again.

Room Tip: If you are in the back of the hotel (past swimming pool) you can take lift onto O'Farrell Street...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear deftlydefiant,
First, Congratulations again on your marriage. We were glad we could be part of your honeymoon. I'm glad you enjoyed your accommodations and interaction with our staff. We hope to have you back on your anniversary. Thank you for staying at the Handlery.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

We stayed one night here on our road trip down the PCH.

Room - was quiet, clean and comfortable.
Staff - so helpful. They helped us arrange last minute tickets to see the Giants game and picked up our tickets.
Location - Union Square is full of nice shops and restaurants, and a great base for exploring SF if you are staying longer than we did!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear nikki_shannon,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at the Handlery Union Square Hotel. I was glad you found your room and location perfect for your needs and hopefully the Giants won the day you went to the game. I noted that you drove down the Pacifica Coast Highway, which if you have the time, is an unbelievable experience. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.