“Will avoid next time...”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #69 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Rosa, Ca
“Will avoid next time...”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The rooms are a good size and clean but the hallways and common areas are depressing. The pool is really more of a smoking lounge with a large water feature at the center.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank jenlinc
HandleryHotelsMgr, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Jenlinc,
Thank you for your comments you posted on TripAdvisor and I am glad that generally you enjoyed your stay. I am evaluating whether or not it is appropriate to allow smoking in our pool courtyard and I appreciate your feedback. We look forward to having you with us again.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (907)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Prince Georges County MD
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Stayed here for three nights...in a "premiere room". Though the room is nicely appointed (bathroom is small), my biggest complaint is the lack of sound-proofing for the room. Both the door and sliding doors overlooking the pool provide no sound buffer at all. When someone is talking in the hall (and several parties of guests did each of my three nights), it is as if your door is wide open. Same with anyone in the pool below...and there were kids in the pool every afternoon. The sound travels up into your room as if the balcony has no doors at all. Poor design.
Also had an issue with not being given a pass code for internet (which is free for premiere room guests). Had to have the manager correct the situation (which he did), but if a friend staying here hadn't alerted me to this, I would have ended up paying $10 a day for internet access.
Also, beware that there are many, many, aggressive pan-handlers and many homeless individuals all around Union Square, along Market Street and in every tourist area of the city. There was even a flyer posted in the hotel one day warning of a dangerous man named Bo who was to be avoided at all costs. The city needs to get better control of this situation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank snoopguy
Dear Snoopguy,
Thank you for staying with us and I apologize that not all aspects of your stay were enjoyable. I will follow up with the staff with regards to your comment on the internet access and I am working with the city are finding a solution with the panhandling. Thank you for staying with us.

Chico, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Recently stayed at the Handlery for two nights, room 501. Hotel is very close to all the action in Union Square which was really nice. Hotel is clean, good amenities, and great customer service. Restaurants and shops are in walking distance. Only downfall was protestors across the street at Hotel Frank...they showed up Saturday and Sunday at 7:00 am and made much noise for about an hour an a half.

I have stayed at this hotel several times and will continue to stay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank sonriemini
Dear Soriemini,
Thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for the Union demostration across the street and I have asked them not to start so early but they have refused my request. When I was in college I visited friends who attended Chico State and I have found memories of the "Bear" Bar & Grill which I believe is still there. Thanks again for staying with us.

New York
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel in March and was our first stop on arrival from Oz. We really liked this hotel. The staff were very helpful and did a lot to assist us. It is in a prime location right at Union Square. It is with all the top class department stores and has the cable car running right past.Resturants are all close by too. The room was very comfortable although abit small. I understand this is how it is in the US. The only critic of the place is that I would have liked to have a kettle to make tea and coffee as we required but this place like all the hotels here only had a small coffee maker.
The bar next door Lefty O'Doulls deserves a mention too. The barman Paul was very helpful when I sprained my ankle and the food for breakfast is really cheap and really good. Also had good busness centre for internet access. Go there if you visit San Fransico.

Room Tip: Ask for room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leah H
Dear Leah H,
I am pleased you enjoyed your visit to our hotel and SF. We are looking into providing an alternative to the complimentary coffee makers in the rooms but on your next visit I wanted you to know that we do have tea kettles available from our housekeeping department. Hope the rest of your trip in the US was enjoyable as well.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed in the historic building facing onto Geary st. While it was a bit noisy it didn't disturb us.
The rooms had been renovated to a very good standard however the structure itself (hallways needed a makeover, floor was a little uneven, no soundproofing) was showing definite aging. We had no problems with cellphone coverage, maybe other reviewers were in the other building. But has to be given full marks for location, so handy to transport, shopping malls, food outlets, information centre.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank brooklyn022
G'day Brooklyn022,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and I was happy to read you had a pleasant stay. So often people comment on our great location and the renovation that we did at the first part of 2011 has met with good reviews. We hope to have you back from the lovely city of Wellington and hopefully the hills of San Francisco reminded you of home.

Cheers,
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed in a Historic room, which meant that we were in the older of the two hotel towers. The room was situated on a corner, so it was nice and quiet due to only having one wall face the interior courtyard. It was also at the end of the hallway, so no loud noises from people passing by the door. However, one of the two windows faced a wall, so if you're looking for scenic view, this room wouldn't be a good choice for you.
The room was clean and had a large LCD TV. The bed was comfy and the duvet had a nice, freshly washed cotton cover. (I'm very glad that most hotels are going this route now.)
The bathroom was on the small side, but it was clean and had good lighting. Be sure to let the CFL warm up in the shower light!
My only mild complaint is that there should be a phone or intercom to allow people checking in (and without key cards) to enter via the O'Farrell garage entrance. I understand the security aspect, but if you're walking up from Muni or BART with luggage, not having to go all the way round to the Geary entrance would be nice :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zeerider
Dear zeerider,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad that you generally enjoyed your stay and we now have a bellman stationed on the carriage entrance to assist guests who arrive from that entrance. Thank you again for staying with us.

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 April 2012

You have to pay for wifi - $9.95, which I wasn't pleased with, but I accepted. What annoyed me was that it sucked - speed was awful.

Cell phone coverage is non-existent in the rooms, especially as they have wire mesh built into the glass - this literally creates a faraday cage to kill your signals. Open the window if you want to get signal!

Rooms are ok, beds squeak which was annoying. Walls are thin, most people staying here seem to be noisy college kids, drunk and happy - but annoying.

Overall... not worth the money.

Room Tip: Open the window to get mobile coverage.... no, really...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessTravellerJK
Dear BusinessTravelerJK,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. As a family owned hotel we take pride in having our guest's enjoy their stay and I apologize for any inconvenience we caused. We are reviewing our policy on WIFI and the wire windows are required by the fire department. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the true Handlery Hospitality.