“What I Pictured A San Fran Hotel to be”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #72 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else, if Union Square is where you want to be. This hotel is exactly what we hoped for (except for the picketers across the street; see Room Tip).

The room was perfectly located, right in the middle of Union Square. And access to every type of transportation is excellent. The staff were pleasant and helpful, when asked. The room was clean, a good size and the bed was excellent.

The hotel itself has an excellent feel to it that truly adds to the San Francisco experience. Quaint in some ways and modern when it needs to be.

We definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There is a staff strike going on at the hotel across the street (Geary Street). If you think it wil...
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Darren B.,
Thank you for visiting from the great city of Edmonton. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I apologize for the inconvenience from the protesters across the street. As I have mentioned in previous reviews I have asked Unite Local 2 to tone down the volume but they have refused. We have double insulated the windows streetside and I have added earplugs in every room to help with the noise. Thank you again for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for Handlery Union Square Hotel

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights. Had a very spacious premium king room overlooking the pool. Paid a little extra for this, but it was worth it. Hotel is in a great location with easy access to all attractions. Really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

G'day taskatarina,
Thank you for visiting from Tazzie and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Our location as you wrote, is perfect when one is visiting the City by the Bay. Although I have had the pleasure to visit Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth, Cairns, Brizzie and Port Douglas I have yet to make it over to Tasmania. It is definitely on my bucket list. Thanks again for staying with us.

Cheers,

Reviewed 5 July 2012

We booked a double queen room in the new section of this historical hotel and it was perfect for our family of 5. The room was spacious, had room for a rollaway on the end, and had a decent sized dressing area away from the beds. - Not feeling cramped is essential for us and I checked the square footage of many rooms in the S.F area before booking. Keep in mind some rooms are small in this hotel but not the doible queens.

We had a room on the 5th floor over looking the pool and it was very quiet.We could not hear "city noise" at all and I liked that we could open the sliding door and have fresh air.( not so with the sky rise hotels across the street)

My kids really enjoyed the pool in the morning and early evenIng. The pool gave my kids something to do while us parents had time to relax in between activities. Evsn though this is a family friendly hotel the pool area was never crowded and there were no loud screaming children, including my own, disturbing the peace. Perhaps it is because of the set up and layout of the pool area and that the pool closes at 8:00 pm.

The location was great for those who want to be near Union Square. We took the Muni bus and the cable cars to go every ware.
The hotel is not as fancy or formal as the Westin or JW Marriott across the street, it is more low key. But the smaller size seems to enhance a connection to the city. The hotel has the service, cleanliness and amenities of a 4 star hotel. I would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank seaturtledove

Dear seaturtledove,
I just read your review of our hotel and I was pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Many guests like the fact that our windows open to allow fresh air in. I am also glad your kids love our outdoor heated pool and courtyard as we are the only downtown boutique hotel that has this feature. We look forward to having you back and thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

Nice stay at the handlery great location in union square and near to the resturants and shops. Its also near the cable car routes which are great for getting about. The hotel is a little dated if im being over picky but still a great stay. there are a lot of homeless people around the union square area which can make you feel uncomfortable late at night. Alcatraz is a most also!!!

Room Tip: street view other wise you look into a lightwell!!!

Dear Chrisbecky,
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and found our ideal location perfect for your visit to Bagdad by the Bay. Obviously, being only 30 feet from the cable cars is a big plus for our guests and I agreee going to Alcatraz is a must. For those of you who read the reviews you must book Alcatraz at least 30 days in advance and on line if you want to visit the Rock. Thank you Chrisbecky for staying with us.

Reviewed 5 July 2012

I've been coming to this hotel for 10 years now and despite my efforts to try something new, you can't beat this hotel in terms of accommodations, LOCATION, and PRICE. I always stay in the premiere section and I love it. Rooms facing O'Farrell are my favorite, albeit there is noise when the sliding door is open...it's San Francisco! The King rooms I stay in are 450 sq ft, have ample room for luggage and lounging, and come with a comfortable couch, chair and desk to boot. There is a mini fridge under the nice sized HDTV as well as a coffee pot and plenty of lights. The patios are great with two comfortable chairs and a table. The vanity area is a gay mans dream, I love the lighted mirror. Comes with an ironing board and iron, room safe, and extra pillow and blanket in the closet. The bed is a Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress and was so comfortable I inquired as to what it was so I could buy one for home. The pillows were extremely comfortable and the linen was clean, fresh and the down comforter was very cozy to snuggle into. The water is hot and fresh, I had no problem using sink water in lieu of bottled for coffee, it tasted the same. I love their bath products too and I typically leave a nice tip to get more the 2nd day of my stay. By the way, the curtains over the sliding doors completely black out the light so you can sleep in, and noise with the doors closed is greatly diminished.
I was there two weeks ago and I love pulling in,mthe bellhop helps me unload, the valet takes my car and I am FREE. Check in can take 10-15 mins but they usually let me checking early which I LOVE. $50 for incidentals is a bargain considering other places charge as much as $300 PER NIGHT. So quit whining. Parking and Internet is about $35 extra w the package which is a DEAL in this part of SF. It's a bit confusing for newbies to navigate to the lobby from the garage, but one word of advice is have your party wait by the pool if checking into the premiere section and let the bellhop take care of your suitcases. On the last trip, btw, I was facing the pool and the view was not as exciting but it was quieter than previous trips. I hear nothing from my neighbors or upstairs guests. The staff are very friendly, although the valets have been rude in the past, and the housekeepers are polite and go out of their way to not inconvenience you.
The only room I can see for improvement is a fan in the bathroom and more efficient a/cs. I set the a/c to as low as it can go but it never gets as ice cold as I like it...luckily it's SF so it never gets very hot outside. This place is close to everything, Muni, Cable Cars on Powell, Chinatown, good restaurants and Walgreens for room snacks. Yes, there are a lot of homeless in the area but that's true when you are in Union Square or anywhere near Market.
For the biggest bang for the buck and very comfortable accommodations I highly recommend this place and urge you to pay more for the premiere section as you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a premier room, preferably a King as they come w. balconies. Street side has good views but...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Dear Erik Bartley,
Welcome back and thank you again for staying at the Handlery Union Square Hotel. I was pleased to see that you had another enjoyable stay. The Premier Balconies are unique and we are the only hotel on Union Square that features this great amenity. I was also happy to see that our room amenities met your needs and we look forward to having you back again. On a historical note, one of the first hotels that my grandfather ever had was called the El Tejon and was in Bakersfield. I don't think it's there anymore but I fondly remember staying there on our way to the Handlery San Diego.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Very nice hotel located in the center of the town. Easy to go out for shopping. Very nice rooms. We had a room with a city view that vas very nice. Friendly personal and if we go to San Francisco we should definitly stay att the Handlery again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with city wiev
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Stefan N

Dear Stefan N,
I was pleased to read that you and your family had a pleasant stay at our hotel on your visit from Malmo. I glad you found your accommodations nice and our staff friendly. I am a bit of a movie buff and I am well aware of the famous actors who have performed there like Max von Sydow and of course the great director IngmarBergman. We look forward to having you return from Sweden again.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

Went to a Giants day game and spent the night at the Handlery. The location was excellent for getting to the game via public transportation saving the cost of parking at the ballpark. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful. The restaurant was excellent. I highly recommend the Handlery and will stay here on my future visits.

Dear Ken M,
Thank you for staying at the Handlery and I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I agree our location on Union Square is not only ideal for shopping and dining but is very convenient to the public transportation to a Giants game. Thank you again for staying with us and GO GIANTS!