“Great Location!”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #74 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 February 2014

At the heart of Union Square, this is a perfect choice for people in business or leisure trip.
The room was always very clean and confortable.
The only issue I had was that it was a bit noisy, so in the morning you could really hear the noise coming from the street.
There was no breakfast included, but you could have it right beside at the hotel (which i don't remenber the price exactly, but it was not a very good deal.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (4,137)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Right in the middle of it all. Union Square is where it's at!! Don't miss the Irish Bar next door. You will meet the good people of San Francisco. The area itself is where to be. Close to all. We flew in and the shuttle took us to the front door. No other way to do it.Street Car or walk the rest of our stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 505PaulP
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Of all the years of staying in San Francisco and walking by the Handlery Union Square Hotel, we never knew that this hotel was such a lovely retreat tucked away steps from Union Square. The Handlery couldn't have been better, except for the sound that carries into the room from the hall, doors closing and other guests coming from late, late night parties. However, that type of noise is to be expected from almost any city hotel -- the reason we travel with earplugs. We would definitely love to stay here for our next stay in San Francisco. Thank you Jon Handlery and your staff for a wonderful weekend!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here and found this quaint hotel with good service and good amenities. Though my sink was not in the bathroom I was fine with that. The free wifi had a good connection compared with other places. The centralized location made it easy to check out the dozens of restaurants and shops near by.
I would come back to stay here.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Just finished a wonderful stay in SF. As always we booked our first choice for hotels...The Handlery Union Square Hotel. Not only is this hotel one block from Union Square but the people working there are amazing. Year after year we see the same wonderful people who help to make our stay wonderful. The rooms are all comfortable, clean, updated, QUIET, and have WINDOWS that open to the fresh air (important to me to have fresh air). Attached to the hotel is the Daily Grill Restaurant. You receive 20% off at the Grill when using the KGO special which includes free parking!!! Food is excellent at the Daily Grill, breakfast, lunch, dinner and full bar..wonderful! A must stay if visiting SF! Looking forward to my next visit.
Oh they have a full size swimming pool on the 4th level!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed in the new tower and the older tower have found anywhere we stay is always quiet and w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LindainCaCalifornia
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My husband and I spent 8 nights at this lovely hotel. Staff are very friendly. We often asked for advice from the conceirge and got great info re: transportation and sites to see.
We had a room on the historic side of this building with no street views (by choice). Noise was not an issue whatsoever, the room was beautifully updated and very classy. King bed was one of the most comfortable beds we've ever slept on! In room fridge was handy. Pool area is very nice but the weather was too chilly to make use of it.
This hotel has an awesome location, you are only a half block from the cable car stop. Amazing shopping at your doorstop and plenty of restaurants to choose from. Can be tricky to get on the cable cars as they are often packed but if you are persistent you can get on almost every time without waiting for the next one. Took about 20 mins. or so to get from the hotel area stop to the Fisherman's Wharf.
We were deciding between staying near Fishermans Wharf and Union square initially. So glad we chose US, since it has so much more to offer and getting to FW is super easy. Plus I really wasn't crazy about the FW area, kinda carnival-like which isn't my thing.
We bought 7 day "MUNI" transportation passes at the Walgreens a block away; $29 for one week unlimited transportation on the cable cars, street cars and underground...can't beat that! The walgreens was very handy, we often picked up bottled water, random toiletries, snacks (they have a lot of fresh fruit, salads, sandwiches and coffee). We also ate at the Daily Grill (attached to the hotel) everyday for breakfast; food was great and service was fast so we could be on our way out seeing sites for the day. Airport shuttle was easily arranged by our conceirge; $16 per person one way which isn't bad at all.
Overall, I highly recommend this hotel and would stay there again if I return to SF

Room Tip: Choose a room without a view if you are looking for quiet
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristi K
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

I will start will positives, it is in great location , downtown and literally just a block from the cable cars. All the shops are on the door step so fantastic!! I found all staff to be polite and helpful and when I requested a kettle they quickly obliged .
I booked a standard room via a third party and apparently all these rooms are based on standard rooms and the smallest ever !! I was quite disappointed and asked for a room change, this was done but the room was still the same size, no view and in fact obscure glass and I don't believe the window would open ( room 210) bathroom very small as was the bed by us standards and the room also small. I was only there for 2 nights for business but had I been a holiday maker I would have expected much more for the money.
I found all the fittings etc to be old and really not up to current standards however it was clean.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business