“Great Location, Great Value and Friendly and Helpful Staff”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #72 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Well we arrived on 25th June - 2nd July. Our room was ready when we arrived which was great after a long flight. We were celebrating our engagment that weekend, my partner had informed the hotel and they left a bottle of champagne in our room and had upgraded us to a mini suite. It had all the facilities you would need. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the manager Jon Handlery left a message on our voicemail to make sure everything was satisfactory which I thought was a nice touch.

The hotel is right in the centre of everything. It is on Union Square and close to shopping and all the trams. The room was clean and serviced daily. We were in the historic section so the room was a bit dated but was always clean. We had room service on the first night which i thought was a bit pricey but it was nice.

My only complaint would be that the air conditioning was noisey especially at night time but after the second night I was used to it - but this might get on someone else's nerves and also the noise from the street may keep other patrons awake but we were fine.

Overall the hotel was great value and was close to everything. I would like to say thank you to Jon Handlery for being so attentive and also to the man from housekeeping (whose name I can't remember!) who sent my Tiffany necklace by Fed Ex to our hotel in Las Vegas as I had stupidly left it in the safe - thank you so much it holds great sentimental value

I highly recommend this hotel it's not as fancy as some of the other hotels but it has everything you would need and is perfectly located

Thanks

Lynette

Room Tip: We had a Street side room and it could get a bit noisy at night time
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LynIRL
There are newer reviews for Handlery Union Square Hotel

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I'm so happy we were recommended this hotel. The check-in was friendly and efficient and it was great to have our room ready after a long flight.

The room was very spacious and the bonus was the closet with safe,could fit one of your suitcases. Plus the bathroom was narrow but spacious with a great area at the end for private dressing and makeup. I could lay out all my cosmetics and skin care. The shower was very roomy also.

Despite being near the busy Union Square, it was very quiet. The location is fantastic and very central to everything. Make sure you go to the hidden Belden place up from Union Square, in between Pine and Bush. It's a wee cobblestone street with Spanish, Italian, French and other cuisines. we ate at Cafe Bastille and it was amazing!

Breakfast was included in our rate and was very good. You eat at a place next door called The Daily Grill.

we would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: 229 was great
4  Thank Nina044
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were staying in this hotel for 10 days and after a couple of nights we were given a slightly bigger room. But we still had only two drawers in which to house all our clothes.
The staff were simply magnificent, helpful, friendly etc.
The bar/restaurant was connected to the hotel but under different management, so we were given breakfast vouchers. The service was again friendly and good, and the food was really excellent.
The bar was the highlight of the hotel and much happy time was spent laughing with the staff.

Room Tip: Fabulous hotel, wonderful helpful staff, great situation, breakfast great, dining wonderful, Manage...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Val K
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The staff at this hotel was top notch! They were very friendly, easy going, professional and most of all patient! Perfectly located in the central shopping district of San Francisco. Made our stay that much enjoyable and memorable. Very classy hotel indeed. We even met the owner, who was kind enough to just spend a few minutes to get to know us. I definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Full size bed rooms are a little small.
2  Thank BeeJ1970
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed two nights at The Handlery and loved it beds were very comfortable room a good size and clean staff on front desk were very professional and helpful I needed a stapler as left mine at home and they quickly found one even stapled my tags on my bags we actually felt very cared for great hotel and great stay will defiantly be back.

Room Tip: High rooms are the best if sensitive to street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geraldyne W
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel was great. I would recommend staying in the Premier portion and not the historic portion of the hotel. Our room had everything a girl could want. Make-up mirror, bathrobe, nice shampoo, lotions and such. Mirrors where all the mirrors should be. Plenty of outlets. Comfortable beds, great maid service. Refrigerator in the room. A nice balcony that overlooked the pool. Heated pool. It was also right in the heart of Union Square and close to all public transit that can get you anywhere in the city. You could take the BART from the airport and wheel you suitcase to the hotel, it is only two blocks away. I wish I could live there. Also a great bar a couple doors down called Lefty O'doul's. I would recommend having a Moscow Mule or a Dark and Stormy when you are there at the bar. PS- we were in room 563 and it was great.

Room Tip: The Premier section with a balcony that faces the pool. Kept out the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

The rooms were clean;
Very well positioned;
Good wifi acces.

Negative:
We booked with Booking.com and they tried to give us a room that was way smaller than what was advertised (It said 300 square foot and we got something near 150 square foot). My wife is an architect so it was pretty funny trying to see them argue with her. Finally we did get a huge Suite room, but we had to pay an extra 30$.

I dont know if I would go back there. There are many alternatives and I find it difficult to trust someone who tries to ''fraud'' you.

Room Tip: Dont ask for a quiet room or you will get a sight that looks almost like Alcatraz. Ask the street v...