“A Perfect Choice in a Perfect Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Handlery Union Square Hotel

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #72 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
maryland
“A Perfect Choice in a Perfect Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

My wife and I recently visited San Francisco (4/10/10 - 4/14/10) for a brief vacation and found the Handlery Hotel to be an excellent choice. Our reservations were made directly with the hotel after searching the internet.. When we arrived we found everything to be as described to us. The room, in the older section, had been recently renovated and, while not spacious, was certainly adequate considering the amount of time we spent in it. The staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and very accommodating. The location, Union Square, was perfect for accessing public transportation and walking to some of the other areas. If you like to shop this is hte place to be...several nationwide department stores and many smaller exclusive shop. The only negative I can think of is that our room faced Geary St. and was a bit loud due to the traffic and late night revelers. I wouldn't let this deter you. I'm sure you can request a room not fronting on the street. We would, without hesitation, stay here again!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HandleryHotelsMgr, owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we are looking into double glazing our street side windows. Thank you again for your comments and looking forward to seeing you again in the City by the Bay.

President, Handlery Hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (865)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
carpinteria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I found a great deal for this hotel on Travelzoo, I love the idea that I got 1/2 off my parking. The location of this hotel was ideal. The people working here were nice and courteous. The next door restaurant has great food. I have no complaints about this hotel. It is downtown, so it can be a bit noisy at times. I will definitely stay her again..

Carpinteria, California

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Dear Customer,
Thank you for responding on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Handlery. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you visit us again.

Grand Bend, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

We were extremely disappointed with this hotel as I thought it would be fun to stay downtown San Francisco in a "renovated" Historic hotel, WRONG. Lobby and pool were impressive, and the location is great, but the historic section in this hotel has a definite odour (mold, mildew?) even after the "so called" renovations. Our room and bathroom were so small you could hardly swing a cat! The air conditioner/air exchanger was not working properly so along with a mouldy smell it was very hot and we could not open the window as no screen and sirens were going all night long. Upon arrival the clerk was sure to let us know that we had the "internet rate" and for an additional $30 per night we could upgrade - not very good business practice in my opinion. Very deceiving on the part of this hotel and Kayak as our room looked nothing like the photo and it was non-refundable so we had no option but to stay here for 3 nights. Even the bellman admitted the room was small and gave us this lame excuse that "people were smaller back in the old days". We are not LARGE people, this room would have been too small for 2 of Snow White's dwarfs! He did offer to see if there was another room "a bit larger" in the same section of the hotel but this should have been given to us in the first place! The hotel certainly did not appear to be at full capacity so why stick people in the worst hotel room you have? The parking attendant was not a pleasant guy, seemed annoyed when we wanted something out of our car that we had forgotten. Now that we know there are plenty of great hotels downtown, avoid this place and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mungi
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that your recent stay was not an enjoyable one. The rooms in our Historic Section do vary in size do to the Victorian style construction done at the turn of the century. I wish you had taken up the offer by our bellman as I am sure he would have found accommodations more to your expectations. Again my apologies and should you return please feel free to contact me personally.

CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

Our family comes to San Francisco often to see the Giants games and we just stumbled on the Handlery Hotel quite by accident. I have to say we will not be going anywhere else. The nicest people, cleanest rooms, best room service, fantastic parking accommodations!
Absolutely the best of care, you would have thought we were the only guests in the hotel

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Dear Giant Fan,
Thanks for your nice comments on our hotel and it's a pleasure to have you stay with us during what I hope was another SF win. Hope to see you again and GO GIANTS!

Pismo Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

If comfort is key in your decision to stay in a hotel, the Handlery is for you. My wife and I recently stayed there over the Easter weekend, and had a great time. I felt very safe in the vicinity of the Handlery and had a great experience with the staff. Our Bellman Danny was super friendly and helpful. We chose the Handlery because of its proximity to our favorite night club, Ruby Skye. The Handlery is literally a stones throw away. Perfect for sore feet after a night of dancing. Plus one of the best places for breakfast (ALL DAY) is right across the intersection. Thanks Handlery!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay in our hotel. I appreciated your positive feedback on your stay and I will be sure to pass on your nice comments to Danny. We suggest a dip in our pool for soothing tired feet from a night of dancing. Looking forward to having you stay with us again.

cary, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

We stayed here for two nights in March 2010. They've obviously recently renovated the rooms and they were fantastic. Fresh paint, nice furnishings, etc etc. Everyone was exceptionally nice during my visit which I appreciated. The location is great, with Union Square all around you. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to respond about your recent stay at the Handlery Union Square Hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you return again. Thank you again for your nice comments.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

Although the hotel is situated in a great location, close to everything, I would not consider staying there again. It was noisy and the beds that were advertised as double were really king singles. This made it a bit uncomfortable to sleep.
The restuarant refused to accommodation my dietry requirements as I am on a very strict medical diet that requires me to eat specific quantities.
We also found the reception unfriendly.
It also doesnt provide free internet access in the business center and in the rooms. You have to register with an internet provider and choose paying options. Not very good.
They also advertise free parking and thats not true. They charge a daily fee of $35.00

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay and I am sorry our accommodations did not meet your expectations. I wish you had contacted my office as I am sure we could have found a room that would have met your needs. I am also sorry for the confusion over our parking fee but we are the lowest, on site valet garage in the Union Square Area. I hope you will give us another opportunity and feel free to contact my office. Thank you again for your feedback.