“Great Hotel and perfect location”

Handlery Union Square Hotel
Ranked #73 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Recently stayed for 4 nights at the Handlery Hotel in San Fan. The room was quite large and very comfortable and had all the necessary amenities (tea/coffee making facilities, safe, fridge). The location in Union Square is ideal with easy access to the major shops, as well as the cable car and many restaurants located close by. Concierge were always helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
HusbandofMargaret, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2010

Dear MandMAdelaide,
I was happy to see that you recent stayed with us and had a pleasant experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Handlery and hopefully we will see you back in the near future. I have visited Adelaide and love the city and your beautiful wine area. Reminds me of Napa. Thank you again for staying with us.

Jon S. Handlery,

There are newer reviews for Handlery Union Square Hotel

Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed in Handlery Hotel for the last part our honeymoon and had a great time in San Fran and a nice stay in the Handlery the only thing i'd have to complain about is the maid........on our first morning the maid came in at 8.20am to clean the room (i did forget to put the sign out but who comes at 8.20am when people are on holidays, also i shouted for her not to come in but she was coming in anyhow.

Also on the second morning she was coming in at 8.30am this time even tho i'd left the sign out this time, then after we left for the day she didn't even come to clean the room this time...........

Finally on the third morning (this was the morning we were checking out) the maid was going to come in and make the room up before we had even checked out!! Think the manager might need to have a word with her!!

Other than that, Handlery is a lovely hotel in a good spot in San Fran, my wife and I both loved San Fran and would def good back. Maybe tho to a different hotel where the maids come back at normal times.

Dear Murphstar,
I appreciated that you took the time to respond about your recent stay at our hotel. I do wish to apologize for the situation you experienced with our housekeeper. I have spoken to the Director of Housekeeping to enusre such incidents do not occur in the future. Thank you again for staying with us and congratulations on your marriage.

Reviewed 1 October 2010

We stayed 3 nights in this great city centre location just off Union Square and right by the cable car route. Attitude and service from staff was excellent. Standard room was well equipped (tea & coffee, iron, safe) but small and with nil view. Could barely see daylight from our first room on 2nd floor so moved to 4th floor, marginally better but still no view of anything at all. I suspect you need to be assertive about what yu want from your room when you check in or pay extra for a premium room. The bar and restaurant were excellent and well patronised in their own right. We had dinner there on our last night. But the hotel did not have a lounge. Garaging charges were steep, the highest we experienced in our 3 week tour of California. . Maybe par for hotels in this location but I noticed cheaper independent alternatives not far away. WiFi service is charged at $10 per 24 hours but the service was so poor the hotel promised to refund our charge - still waiting for that refund to appear on my cc account!.

I suspect there are other city centre hotels offering better value for money.

Pros location
staff attitude and service
restaurant
Cons room size and outlook
garaging charges
wifi charge and service

Dear GeOFF63,
Thank you for your comments on your stay at the Handlery Union Square Hotel. I am glad that your stay, overall, was pleasant but I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with our internet service. This winter, we are completely re-wiring the hotel to correct the problems you experienced. If you would email me at jon@handlery.com with your name and room number I will make sure you get the refund we promised. Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Good check-in, excellent staff/conierge. Room above average size. Bathroom adequate however shower curtain -yeuch!
Comfortable, good tv, good room service.
Great location on Union sq.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo

Dear JHJL,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at the Handlery. I was pleased to read that you generally enjoyed your stay and have followed up with our housekeeping staff on your comment about our shower curtains. Thank you again for choosing to stay at the Handlery.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

Stayed for 2 nights - great value - we were upgraded to a King bed from a Queen - room faced the back but they did offer us a room facing the front but warned us that it could get noisy - we opt for the back. Room was large and very clean, nice comfy bed and pillows - only down fall was the window faced a brick wall - but we didn't mind, we were only sleeping there. Our room was on the second floor - my other half noticed the second day that one of the windows was open a crack - don't know if the cleaner did it or if it was left open the day before - we locked it, checked our belongs, nothing was missing. Hotel is in a great location, very happy with it - didn't rent a car took the Bart from the Airport - real easy and the Bart drop off is only 2 blocks away. We didn't eat at the Handlery as it was too busy but we did eat next door to Lefty's - good breakfast at a good price. We also had dinner across from the Handlery on the corner called "Max's", it was our best meal, all home cooked and reasonable price. We would stay here again.

1  Thank Lichty

Dear Lichty,
Thank you for taking the time post your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Handlery. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay in San Francisco and at our hotel. I appreciate your taking the time to respond and we look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 28 September 2010

We stayed in the Premier Section. It was an older building, a bit dated, (elevators carpeting) but the room was well decorated, roomy and we had a small balcony with a view of the pool. The staff was friendly, GREAT location in the heart of SF.
We had a "convention rate" of $215 but with Tax and Tourism Assessment of $34, $1,000 for 4 nights is expensive. This was a business/leisure trip so half came out of my pocket. I get the impression that all the SF hotels jack up their rates for Oracle OpenWorld and the CISCO conventions. SF is getting like Chicago and sticking it to the visitors. I hope they move the Convention to a more price friendly city next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
HusbandofMargaret, Owner at Handlery Union Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2010

Dear Baystate2,
Thank you for feedback on your recent stay at the Handlery. I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. During the Oracle conference we have negotiated convention rates with the conference planners. I glad you liked our balconies which is very unusual for downtown hotel and we look forward to having you back. By the way I love Beantown.

Reviewed 27 September 2010

My friends and I loved our stay at this very cool hotel. We stayed in the historic section and it was a treat.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and we were pleasantly surprised to discover we would be getting free breakfast (and a very nice one at that) at the adjoining restaurant during our stay.

It was a lot hotter than we were expecting it to be and we were also very happy to be able to hit the outdoor swimming pool during our stay.

The only thing I would say is if your room is facing the front of the building it can be rather loud so if you want quieter you might want to stay in the newer section of the hotel but for us it just added to the experience.

The rooms were larger than I was expecting from reading other reviews and considering there were three of us in a double room that is a good thing in my opinion.

All in all a wonderful place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Cndnangel2,
I wanted to thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. You definitely hit an unusually warm time period for San Francisco and I was happy that you were able to cool off in our pool. I have only had to pleasure to visit Edmonton once but the experience was very enjoyable and I hope to get back soon. Thank you again for staying with us and maybe some day the Sharks can win 4 Stanley Cups too.