“Fabulous, Fun and very Dog Friendly Hotel”
Review of Harbor Court Hotel

Harbor Court Hotel
Ranked #40 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here, (with out 3 dogs!) for a weekend and had such a great time. We have been to the city many, many times, as we live close by - but have never taken the dogs. We had tickets to the Giants game and last minute decided to go for the weekend but had no sitters. I called this hotel and shyly asked about bringing 3 dogs and the response was 'the more the merrier - we love dogs." We arrived and were greeted warmly, given dog beds and bowls. Got a very nice room with a comfy king bed and beautiful views of the water and the Bay Bridge, with windows that open part way, which I love. Took the dogs for a nice long walk then put them to bed with chew bones and off we walked to the game. Love the location - close to ATT park - lots of restaurants the Ferry building and the harbor. Sat. we went for a great walk and had breakfast at Planet Organic outside - all 3 dogs at our feet. Great food and service. Later we rented bikes - very close by and biked to and over the Golden Gate Bridge and back. Very fun. Back at the hotel later we had a blast in the lobby at the Hotel's complimentary wine happy hour, with the dogs socializing along with us. Met lots of interesting people. Walked to the Red Door for dinner. This is a really pleasant, friendly, fun hotel in a great spot with or without pooches. We will all definitely be back. The only improvemnet would be more counter space to put stuff in bathroom - minor issue for those of us with products.

1  Thank Travelwithcharm

Reviewed 3 September 2011

I stayed here with my sister on a holiday for five nights. Located in the Embarcadero, the price was reasonable compared to many similar hotels in the Union Square area. The location was actually perfect for us. Practically across the street from the Ferry Market Building, we went to the market often, and the Saturday farmer's market was a highlight. It was nice to be close to the water, and the Embarcadero was great for walking in both directions from the hotel. It was about a 20 minute walk to Fisherman's Wharf, and a 20 minute walk to downtown. There were plentiful options for good restaurants near the hotel, albeit fewer than downtown. We walked everywhere, so walking a little farther for a restaurant was no big deal anyway. It was actually a bit of a relief to come back to a quiet hotel at the end of the day after spending the day fighting crowds and noise of the city.

The hotel itself was clean, decorated nicely, and the staff was very nice and helpful. The room was small, but we didn't spend much time there, so it didn't matter. The king sized bed was wonderfully comfortable, and the pillows were good quality. The room had air conditioning, and large windows that opened. Our room was not facing the street, so there was no view, but it was blessedly quiet. We could barely hear noise of other guests at the hotel, either.

The coffee service in the lobby in the morning was good, with both hot and iced coffee, teas, and hot chocolate. The wine reception in the evenings is a nice touch, and we made it there twice.

In all, the only thing I wished that this hotel had was a coffee pot or kettle in the room. In the evenings, we were really wanting a cup of tea or hot chocolate in the room.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone, except for people who are looking to go clubbing near their hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 September 2011

One of my guilty pleasures while meeting in San Francisco is staying at the Harbor Court. This awesome boutique hotel has the most comfortable bed, wine reception, super staff, and close proximity to several resurants. It is my #1 choice for my monthly visit to the Bay Area. My office is just a walk away which is the reason i began staying here. But Neil and a few other long time staff members make it a home away from home.
thanks!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This was my second stay at a Kimpton, and I love their boutique theme which is animal friendly, features a wine social hour every night, milk and cookies at bedtime and free coffee in the lobby in the morning. I am a HUGE fan of the leopard bath robes. Also, their guest rewards program is great because you get free internet and $10 of free stuff in the minibar. Our stay was a bit unexpected (we were stuck in SF due to hurricane Katrina), but the staff was very nice and made us feel at home. They provided us with free extra toothepaste and lots of hangers, which while I realize is a small thing made me very happy! Also there was a very nice YMCA literally attached to the building; great gym.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I booked a discounted queen room on Expedia for a single, Friday night stay for my husband and me. We took the ferry from Larkspur and this hotel is a half-block up the Embarcadero from the ferry building - and is an absolutely perfect SF location for anyone visiting the city. When we checked into our room, it did not have a view so I called the front desk to see if they had another room desk and they very graciously upgraded us to a king room (no charge) with a beautiful view of the Bay.

Rooms are very small, but that's not surprising as it is a very old building and was once the YMCA (there's no workout room because guests get access to the fully remodeled, gorgeous Embarcadero Y adjacent). They have a lovely "living room" lobby with sofas and comfy chairs, and a complimentary beer and wine service in the evening. Milk and cookies at 9:30 as well, but as they are a half-block from Boulevard - one of the city's best restaurants - we didn't take them up on those. As the room is small, the very comfortable platform bed had huge drawers underneath to act as a dresser.

Pluses:
-Lovely linens
-Excellent front desk service
-Complimentary beer/wine in lounge, coffee/tea in morning
-fabulous location, hands down the best home base in SF. If you are a tourist, you can access everything from here.
-very clean
-the house dog - a darling French Bulldog to greet you. Hotel is pet-friendly.
-YMCA access
-double-hung windows actually open. The Embarcadero is noisy but it was so much fun to watch the world go by and the thick walls and triple-glazed windows shut out the noise when we closed them before bed.
-Warm, leopard-print robes
-Bay view from many rooms

Drawbacks:
-This was a bummer: We requested room service breakfast for the 6:30-7:00 window - this was the earliest they offered and my husband was running a half-marathon at 8:00 am. The food and coffee didn't arrive until 7:10, which really sucked because drinking coffee and eating that close to a long run is not good. We would have gone to the lobby and gotten coffee had we known it was going to be late - they apologized but by then we had to gulp and run-literally.
-We don't usually even turn on the TV but we wanted to watch the last inning of the Giants game. The TV had awful picture quality, very fuzzy. It wasn't the channel, either.
-No coffeemaker in room
-Small rooms, windows are small too, remember it is an old building and back in the day they wanted to keep heat in and noise/pollution out. Huge mirror the length of the wall makes it look a little bigger.
-The room initially smelled like cigarettes when we checked in. Opening the windows solved that problem, but it was surprising as this is a non-smoking hotel.
-$10 for wi-fi? Really?

All in all, we would definitely stay here again, we had a wonderful time and it is near some of the best restaurants in the city and is a mile from AT&T park, but wouldn't rely on timely room service or getting the most from electronic devices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Bay view. They cost more but if they aren't full you might get lucky and g...
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for the weekend and had a great San Francisco experience. The hotel is low key and quietly cool, but with all of the qualities and high standards of the Kimpton chain. I loved the coffee in the AM (good quality organic stuff) and the cookies in the evening! The bathroom was spotless, great shower. The rooms are a bit small, but the hotel is in an old building and it was really quiet. I didn't get a room with a Bay Bridge view, but the view is yours the second you walk out the back entrance.

The location is great for a mini break. Very accessible to Union Square, the Embarcardero, AT&T stadium. Great food options at the Ferry Market Terminal for breakfast and lunches. There is a BART stop a few blocks away, along with cable cars and busses.

The only thing to watch out for is the taxi situation. Steuart St is a one way street and not much traffic, especially on the weekends. It was hard to just flag a taxi, concierge had to call them. Also, the hotel staff pushed the hotel town car option to SFO pretty hard--after explaining a couple of times that I wanted to take a taxi, they finally called one for me. It was a minor annoyance--town car was $45 (plus tip), a taxi is about $35.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 15 August 2011

This hotel is in a great neighborhood with easy access to BART to get to other great neighborhoods. Plus it's directly across from the Bay & Ferry Building (bonus)! The rooms are small - trust me - I was even shocked when I got into the room after reading reviews that warned me of the size. BUT - we weren't even in the room much AND it was spotless - maid service was fantastic! The staff is a model for hotels everywhere - all smiles; remembering faces & names - they made us feel like we knew them for many years. The nightly happy hour was my favorite because we met people from all over the country & enjoyed our conversations over drinks. Thanks for a great stay - we will recommend this place to our friends/family & should we return to the West Coast, we will be there again! Can't wait for my next Kimpton stay!

2  Thank PHLChik