“Great hotel, great value, close to MUNI. San Fran is disgusting.”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #118 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Weston, Florida
“Great hotel, great value, close to MUNI. San Fran is disgusting.”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Let's begin with the hotel. If you have to go to San Fran and you don't have $300 a night to spend and you want a very clean and comfortable hotel then this is the place to stay.
It is located 1/2 block from Market street and Mission Street. It is a less than 5 minute MUNI ride down Market to Union Square and a 15 minute ride down to Fisherman's Wharf.
OK, now the downside...San Francisco isn't what it once was. There are bums galore everywhere. They are on every street corner begging for food and money. The city had to go so far as to enact a law that these bums could not sleep on the side walk during the hours of 7am to 10pm so as to not be a trip hazard during the busy times of the day. The city has paper and debris blowing through the streets like a war zone.
If I had one thing to say to the people of San Francisco....CLEAN YOUR CITY UP!! it is filthy. Thumbs up Holiday Inn...... thumbs way down San Fran.
Would stay at the Holiday Inn if I went back to San Fran...But I wont be back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank alemanjohn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Fresno, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I stayed here for one night during a business trip to South San Francisco. I found it centrally located with easy access to BART and walking distance to City Hall. Union Square was about a mile a way (15 minute walk). The hotel is not your typical Holiday Inn, it looks like it was remodeled recently with a modern twist the fitst the surrounding SoMa district. My room was facing south, so I got a good glimpse of the sunset in early June. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. If you don't feel like having breakfast at the hotel, Starbucks is just around the corner.

Room Tip: Expect to pay $38 per night for parking.
4 Thank 32414Luis
Gainesville, FL, USA
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Two colleagues and I stayed here for several days during a convention. This property was picked as one of the less expensive "official" convention hotels.

Pros: Optimal location if where you want to be is by the theater or Civic Center.
Felt safe within the confines of the hotel.
Rooms reasonably clean.
One of the less expensive properties in downtown.
Steps from the BART station, especially convenient for getting from/to airport.
Most of the time, personnel were courteous and knowledgeable. Some were especially helpful.

Cons: Terrible location if you want to be close to Moscone Convention Center or most downtown amenities -- a few steps in the wrong direction puts you in the middle of some unsavory stuff. Even during the day, we felt the need to walk fast.
This brings me to the one time where the person at the front desk steered us in the absolute wrong direction. We were told that the restaurant we wanted was one way, and to avoid "this area" (circled on map). We never did find the restaurant in question from the clerk's directions and found ourselves amidst the soup kitchens and thrift stores. We only realized the mixup the next day.

So I can only give this establishment an average ("mixed") review.

Moorland Iowa
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Had to find a place close to the opera House. this was close ,not in a good neighborhood . It was a very nice hotel inside.... I was surprised in a good way staff very helpful felt safe in the hotel.
We just took a cab back to the hotel at night. During the day it was ok you just walk fast!
The room were nice a clean I thought..... a little noisy at night you are so tired from walking the hills all day you are tired.

Room Tip: For what we paid I think I got my money worth. we are from Iowa and and enjoyed our stay.we got fl...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Vinolady
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments.

We are glad that you enjoyed our helpful staff and clean rooms. In addition to the Opera House, there are other major attractions within a short walking distance including the Asian Art Museum, Orpheum Theater, Union Square and Westfield/Bloomingdale shopping mall.

We hope you will stay with us on your next visit to the San Francisco Opera.

Best Regards,
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn while in San Francisco for the TV of Tomorrow Show. There were definitely pros and cons to the stay.

Pros
- I stayed here because it was cheaper than other hotels. At $280/night it was a lot cheaper then the $400/night other hotels were charging
- The hotel is very convenient for BART. The Civic center stop is right there (literally steps from the hotel) and it was very easy to get here from airport.
- The room was clean and comfortable
- Checkin and checkout were quick and efficient

Cons
- The hotel is in a rough neighborhood. During my 1 mile walk to TV of Tomorrow show at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts I passed numerous homeless people, shady characters, and shady buildings. To be honest, everywhere I went I passed homeless people (it's a shame that it is such a big problem in a great city like San Francisco). As a white male in good condition, I wasn't overly worried but I did pay attention of my surroundings on this walk (especially at night). I found this to be the same on Market Street, Mission Street, Howard Street, and 8th Street. I found that sticking to Market St for all walking was best since there were a lot of other people with you.
- Across the street they are doing noisy construction that starts at 7am. This isn't the hotel's fault but something to be aware of.
- Their wifi went down for a whole day. The front desk was unable to do anything about it or report when it would be back. This was very frustrating.
- Two treadmills in the fitness center weren't working well.

So, overall my stay was fine but there were issues.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street to avoid construction and street noise.
1 Thank sdavi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write us the comments and we are glad that you experienced the "Pros" of our hotel during your stay.

As you mentioned the homeless is an issue throughout San Francisco. The area around the hotel is undergoing some exciting changes with the addition of large businesses and entertainment organizations moving in. We are certain there will soon be a new look and atmosphere in the area.

We apologize for the internet issue as we have upgraded to fiber-optic service. We are updating our fitness equipment and also currently offer complimentary access for our hotel guests to Bay One Fitness on 37 Grove Streets s 5 minute walk from the hotel. For information, you can always inquire with Front Desk.

Once again, we appreciate your candidate feedback and business. We hope to welcome you again in San Francisco.

Best regards,
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

The hotel per se is decent but certain part of it is very very dated even though they have done a refurbishment. The locationwithhold with homeless people along market street from eighth street To union square (fifth street). The walk to union square is very very intimidating especially if u are Asian. Avoid at all cost and during night time, is very rowdy with screaming or drunkard nose, and traffic noise. Fisherman wharf holiday inn seem more decent.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fixer72
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciated your staying with us and we truly hope you would come back again to visit us and discover another side of the area.

Best regards,

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 June 2012

OK so it's a little bit scary at night but it's a short walk from the BART + to be honest, there are homeless people everywhere in this city. Even if u had stayed at Union Square Parc 55, Westin, Hilton etc. u would meet homeless people once u exit the hotel front door. So don't be put off by the other reviews about not feeling safe in the area or whatever. So far today I have walked past countless homeless people but they are harmless + just asking for loose change. I needed a place to stay for the night as something unexpected came up with my accommodation arrangements. Checked in just b4 midnight and I was given a late check out at 2pm the next day. I could have paid less for one of the non chain smaller hotels but I wanted a decent, clean room and u cannot go wrong with the HI. I love love love the toiletries - body lotion especially from Bath + Body works. Try booking thru a 3rd party website or travel agent, I got a good deal $135 a couple days b4 I checked in. Now If only I had booked the rest of my stay here so I wouldn't have to change hotels tomorrow! Oh well I guess u learn from each experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor seem to be pretty quiet. Balcony door that opens was a nice touch.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Wayne H
Dear Guest,

We are happy to know you enjoyed your visit. Thanks for this great review!!

Best Regards,