“Good location. Bad hotel.”

Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco)
Ranked #118 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
“Good location. Bad hotel.”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

I was supposed to stay at another holiday inn but the rooms were sold out so that holiday inn booked us at this one. Our company's credit card was on file but they made us put a credit card for incidentals on file which is unacceptable in my book. The lobby is re-done but not the rest of the hotel. Our room was a dump. Maybe the renovations hadn't gotten to our part of the hotel yet. There was also construction going on next door right under my window. I was on the 7th floor but that didn't help. The restaurant at the hotel is way overpriced so we ate outside of the hotel. On the first night the people next to me were having some sort of get together and were very loud. I called the front desk to let them know and in about 10 minutes they simmered down and I was able to sleep. I thought we were on a non smoking floor but the hotel notified us that half of the floor was smoking and half wasn't. Being allergic to smoke this bothered me. Overall I will not willing stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank alexm0830
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 14 February 2014
Holiday Inn Civic Center would like to express a heartfelt apology for your troubles. We do not want our guests to experience service any less than exemplary and we are sorry for letting your down. We appreciate your feedback in our continuous efforts to ensure the best in hotel accommodations for our valued guests. If you would like to discuss the matter further please contact our Guest Services Manager, David Camacho, so that he may ensure you are taken care of. He may be reached at 415-626-6103 or david.camacho@ihg.com.

Holiday Inn Civic Center

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel has probably the most expensive parking fee as a three star hotel in San Francisco. It is $42.12 (plus tax) per night for guest. Moreover the most unreasonable one is that they charge you $45 even if you just drive in and out to the parking lot dropping someone off with luggages (street parking is very limited) after 7pm. The sign does list the price but it is very crowded and the font is very small, making it very hard to read at night. I guess this may be the strategy to over charge you. So be cautious about the self parking!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Triquaplex
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Holiday Inn Civic Center apologizes if customary San Francisco parking rates are unexpected for guests, as it is an extra expense to consider. We do our best to provide the most value for the rate by offering a parking rate lower than most downtown garages and a secure facility with 24 hour access and unlimited in-and-out privileges. Guests are welcome to park elsewhere, but we suggest being mindful that many outside parking facilities have limited operating hours and enforce a no in-and-out policy, etc..

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Mumbai
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel through booking.com and then had to cancel it. The cancellation was done way ahead of time but the hotel still charged my credit card for the entire booking. After nearly a month of extensive follow up the hotel has still not refunded my money. They sent a note showing that they will refund the money but to date, I don't see the refund. Very bad customer service.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mrijay
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Holiday Inn Civic Center would like to express a heartfelt apology for your troubles. We do not want our guests to experience service any less than exemplary and we are sorry for letting your down. This is not a matter that we take lightly and if you would please allow us the opportunity to resolve this issue for you, please contact our Guest Services Manager, David Camacho, so that he may ensure you are taken care of. He may be reached at 415-626-6103 or david.camacho@ihg.com.

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was attending an event in the Civic Center Plaza and thought this would be a great place to stay since it is only two blocks away from that venue. Yep, I was right, it was a great place to stay in terms of the distance I needed to travel to get to the event, but the neighborhood leaves a lot to be desired. However, one good thing about the location is the proximity of public transit, so no matter where you want to go, you can get there easily.

The hotel lobby and sleeping rooms have been nicely renovated and once inside the hotel, you feel like you're in an oasis amongst the empty storefronts and run down commercial properties in the surrounding area. Some reviewers mention the noise coming through the old sliding glass doors, but that didn't bother me since I grew up in NYC and was used to it. The bedding is comfortable and I had no problems sleeping.

I did not eat in the restaurant, but I did order room service for breakfast and dinner which is only available when the restaurant is open. They were prompt and the food was very good. All the staff members were polite and helpful.

The in room safe worked properly, but only the top half of the digital display on the safe in my was working so it's a good thing I remembered my code.

Overall, glad I stayed in this property but I'm not sure I'd do it again mainly because of the neighborhood.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center is pleased our proximity to public transportation and your destination was to your satisfaction. We are happy to receive feedback that the service you received was polite and helpful, as these sentiments are the heart of hospitality. It is our regret if the neighborhood was not to your liking, but we hope you will keep us in mind with the many current and upcoming projects to refresh the local area.

Holiday Inn San Francisco Civic Center
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights with our friends in May 2013.The hotel is conveniently located near the 5th Street Shopping in Downtown Sfo and is at a walkable distance to the Cable Car.The rooms were ok in size and overall it was a good hotel.Nothing to complaint.Places of Interest like Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 was also near to the hotel and was easily accessible via cab or cable car.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Holiday Inn Civic Center is happy to present to guests a location that lends itself to public transportation and many activities within walking distance. Being able to get around town easily and efficiently allows guests to make the most of their trip and we are pleased this was to your liking. Thank you for your patronage and we hope you will consider our hotel in the future.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for four days while on our American getaway from Australia, this being my first time to San Francisco. Having never been to San Fran I relied on my travel agent to choose my hotel and location of where to stay in the city. This part of town was in my eyes extremely dodgy and we certainly didn't feel comfortable leaving the room at night. The hotel itself was good, generous sized rooms and friendly staff however the vibe of the hotel disappeared from our minds as soon as we walked outside. There were many homeless people around which usually doesn't bother me however in this part of town they tend to yell as you walked by. When I return to San Fran I will most definitely stay closer to Fisherman's Wharf or right in Union Square.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah R
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 24 January 2014
San Francisco is, by nature of most big cities, a spectrum of walks of life. It seems as though the hotel accommodations and service were to your satisfaction, but Holiday Inn Civic Center apologizes if your experience off-property was not to your delight. Thank you for your feedback. We hope with the profound makeover underway to reform downtown San Francisco that you will give us another chance to make the most of your stay in our great city.

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed in Holiday Inn Civic Center (SFO) few months back during my business trip. Overall experience was average and felt that this is more suited to low budget tourists and not recommended for business travel. Core essential for any business trip is need of good Wi-fi connectivity which was really bad. I had to sit in the lobby area and work. Hotel is located at a place which is very empty during the night and you might have scary moments. Positive side is that hotel is just above the metro station on the main line and you only need to walk few blocks for good food options. It’s fun to walk in the downtown and you can easily walk till Union Square and Embarcadero. Room size is decent with good bathrooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
HolidayInn_SFCC, Administrative Assistant at Holiday Inn Civic Center (San Francisco), responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Holiday Inn Civic Center recognizes that fast-responding and consistent wifi connection is vital to a business guest’s stay. At this very moment we are implementing an impactful upgrade to the entire guest internet infrastructure within Holiday Inn Civic Center. Our internet provider is currently completing the installation of brand new router, wiring, etc. which is to be finalized within the next couple of weeks. Thank you to our past guests for their communication regarding the internet connectivity so that we may resolve this opportunity for growth and enhance our guest satisfaction. With our demonstrated dedication to the guest experience it is our hope that we may earn your future consideration.