“Nice, but just so, so-”

GreenLeadersBronze level
charlotte
“Nice, but just so, so-”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel while attending a literary festival (LitQuake) in San Francisco in October. It was unseasonably hot for San Fran which was weird, but we had a pleasant stay at the hotel. We're diamond members so we had free breakfast buffet every day and that was great-especially if you have children. The hotel itself is pretty standard. Nice, basic rooms and our view was ok-nothing spectacular, but the service was great, check-in and out, completely hassle free and it's a good location in China town. We were able to walk into the italian section and head over to the Embarcadero and other places easily. Big tip-getting anywhere from that hotel requires some prep time if you plan to take a taxi or even hire a car. We had a private car and driver we arranged through the hotel and the guy got lost and we almost didn't make it to our event. Plan ahead and don't expect to walk outside and flag a cab down and get anywhere quickly. It's insane. There is a spa of some sort in the hotel that looked nice, but we didn't have time to check it out. Do not underestimate the fact that this is basically a business hotel, so it's not a luxury property-but, it is a great location and within walking distance to some cool places. Would not say this is a place for romance. Families traveling with a spouse on business, people like us who were there for a quick trip and perfect for business.

Room Tip: There was a huge construction project going on next door to the hotel and a lot of people who had no...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rtr59
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. As Hilton Diamond members, you are our best guests and it was good to hear that you enjoyed our staff and friendly service during your short stay with us. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the location and how quickly you can get to different neighborhoods from here. As for transportation in the city, you are right, SF just doesn't seem to have enough taxis. I regret to hear about the limo transfer from the hotel. I will also pass on your comments for the limo company to review. As for the construction zone outside our hotel, it is almost finished as they will be opening their doors this Summer. Again, thank you for for feedback and I hope we see you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
SoCAL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

I've stayed in a lot of Hilton properties around the country and also many different hotels in the city of San Francisco. I would say that this hotel is really not that bad. It's a great location in the City for walking w/in a mile or two to some of the favorite landmarks, such as adjacent to Chinatown, views of the Coit tower from the north facing rooms, close to the Embarcadero, Ferry Buildings, Bank of America building, etc. And it's not that far from Union Square. There are many other hotels closer to BART, but it's not that far either. We jumped on a bunch of Muni bus lines very close to the hotel to take us to other parts of the city (w/o climbing those crazy hills!). Overall, I would recommend the hotel because of the location.

As far as quality, it's right up there with being a standard, business class, hotel. Decent linens & bedding that were very comfortable. Cleanliness was there, but maybe a little worn on the edges (hallways, common areas...). Example, the blinds system for the wall of windows: one of the edges on the black out blind was slightly torn/or rippled so it didn't completely block out the light. Our room included two full-size beds, a nice little chaise lounger, a long table/desk area in front of the wall of windows, where the flat panel TV was (good channel selections), a wood cabinet (closet w/ about 5 drawers), and a small table for the coffee pot, etc. -- so the space was a little tight, but the room size is typical of expensive cities. The bathroom was very simple -- sink, toilet, tub/shower all in the same room -- it has a slider, frost, glass door which is a bit weird if you're traveling with unfamiliar company.

The front desk clerk was very friendly, quick, and professional. The bell captain and other staff were all nice.

The restaurant/bar on premise in the lobby was pretty good, but the waitress was taxed and VERY slow and often forgot to bring us our second drinks or what we requested.

The wall of windows was very nice, but the windows were super dirty on the outside (I get it, it's San Francisco and hard to keep cleaner with the fog and weather).

Let's get back to my review title. I've stayed, like I said, in my cities that are noisy, but the property does a good job of creating sound barriers. This Hilton was one of the worst in sound proofing and I found it very difficult to sleep and we were on the 16th floor. You can easily hear drunk people yelling out on the street, the large trucks, construction workers from the new tower building next door on Saturday morning shouting, etc. Guests in neighboring rooms were loud in the hallways, also. And I thought this hotel was smoke-free, however, there were clearly smokers on our floor (and also the smell of the wacky weed filled the hallway on Saturday night). I found it hard to keep the room's fan/cooling system on to create white noise w/o either making it too hot in the room or too cold. So, when I was packing to leave on our last day I noticed the earplugs on the nightstand and figured it's a common complaint from guests staying here if they're going out of their way to provide them. Because of the noise, I'd likely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Noisy! The north side has great views of the Coit Tower.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your detailed review of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. Your impressions were very accurate and showed a lot of insight. I appreciate that you did enjoy the rooms and the views, the service from our front office staff and the convenient location. You are correct that our hotel can have some noise issues, and yes, we do have ear plugs to help block out some of the din from outside and other guests. Hopefully most of the noise will subside, as the building across the street is almost complete, and will open this summer. I will be sharing your review with our F&B team to ensure they perform at a higher level and be more attentive. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope that one day, when you plans call for another SF visit, you will once again consider the Hilton Financial District.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in February 2012, using points. Did not have high expectations but was pleasantly surprised. At check in, we were upgraded to a higher floor. The room was wonderful. A contemporary, slightly masculine design. Fabulous view of Coit Tower---especially in the evening. Nice bathroom. The hotel lobby is not really a place to hang out but it has an interesting chinese flair. One doesn't spend much time at the hotel in SF---there's so much to do and see. The hotel is located in the heart of Chinatown but also walking distance to a number of great italian restaurants just outside of Chinatown.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded or newly renovated room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. Glad to see you are an Honors member, as Hilton Honors members definitely enjoy some great benefits. I was pleased to see that your were upgraded upon checkin, as we try to do with all our Diamond and Gold members. You are correct, our location is probably the best kept secret of all the hotels in San Francisco. We are centrally located between 3 major San Francisco neighborhoods, Financial District, Chintown, and North Beach (Italian district). We are also a short walk to Union Sq and Fisherman's Wharf. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is my 2nd stay with this property in 3 years, this time for 2 weeks and I can say that I came back because of the service and they didn't let me down. The people at this place make it a wonderful place to 'hang your hat' while traveling. My fiance came up over the weekend to visit and he was delighted by the service. The rooms are updated and I don't think there is a bad view from this place. (I've stayed on both city and bay sides) One 'slight' draw back is there is some traffic noise that can leek in from the street, but that can be expected being in the city.

Most memorable event was getting into the elevator in the morning and a gentleman from Maintenance got on the stop after me. He greeted us first thing upon walking in, he introduced himself as "Milo" (I think, it was early and I had't had my morning cuppa) and asked if everything in our rooms was working properly. Upon hearing our answers he followed up with, "Well if you folks need anything or have a question you let Milo know. Have a great day and thank you for staying with us." Wow! Now that's an elevator speech if I've ever heard one! So genuine and thoughtful in his approach.

I had breakfast there and the selections were perfectly fine; and (despite not be of Asian decent) I appreciate the nod of the head of having traditional Asian breakfast items available at the brekkie buffet.

Needless to say, I will return to this hotel over and over again whenever I am in SF.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TardisLady
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Thank you for the PERFECT SCORE!! I will definitely share your comments with our Engineering Department and F&B team. 2 weeks is a long time to stay in one hotel and for you to feel so comfortable and welcomed in that amount of time says quite a bit. Again, thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to your next San Francisco visit.
DFW
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

When the front desk realized we'd been trying to call before our arrival with no success, they upgraded our room of their own accord, which I appreciated. Rooms are reasonably sized for a big city and there are a ton of places nearby with great food (Washington Bakery egg tarts, mmm!) I l also love the free internet in all rooms across all devices, very handy for a biz traveller.

The only downside with this location is not the hotel's fault but the fact that it takes a good 20-30 mins to get out of downtown onto any freeways, thanks to all the construction (April 2012). But if you intend to stay and work in the downtown area, it's a great place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank statgamer
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. The staff at this hotel will always try to listen to our guests and immediately rectify any situation to make our guest's stay more enjoyable, as appears to be the case with your visit. I was pleased to hear that you found some of the best Chinese take out foods and desserts in City just a short stroll from the hotel. Traffic anywhere in the City can be unbearable depending on the time of day. Our bell, valet and doormen know all the shortcuts to anywhere in the City, so don't forget to checkin with them before leaving the hotel. Again, thank you for the great feedback and we hope you will come back again soon.
West Hollywood, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

What can I say... it's not the most beautiful building. And there's not much that can be done to dress up a concrete box. But the room was quite nice even if several long hairs were left behind by housekeeping. The very comfortable bed made up for the surprisingly well-muffled noise of the elevator shaft mere feet from our heads. The immediate surrounding neighborhood is also not the most beautiful. But it's a reasonably quick walk to other environs, including China Town, Market Street, and the Embarcadero. I would not say this place is the best value as there was no free WiFi and the bottled water on the counter is not complimentary. It's the exact same bottled water that was complimentary at the the hotel where we had stayed the previous week. And the label indicating the price is not exactly conspicuous. Furthermore, I was disappointed as usual in Hilton's poor sense of sustainability. The shampoo bottles did not have recycling symbols (indicating the type of recyclable plastic). There seemed to be no policy allowing guests to opt out of washing sheets & towels. And their idea of a recycling bin was a crumpled paper bag that barely seemed suitable to hold whatever recyclable waste you might want to put in it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments of your recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our facilities overall, especially our comfy Hilton Serenity beds. I was surprised to hear that you did not see our "conservation card" for saving water and energy by reusing sheets and towels. It may have been missing from your room or the room attendant ran out of them, however, all Hiltons are required to be conscious in reducing our carbon footprint and be more environmentally frriendly and responsible. I will share your comments with Housekeeping to ensure that remedy these issues you experienced. Again, thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will consider our hotel on your next SF visit.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel several times. The front desk staff were very helpful, polite, and accommodating. The rooms are nice and one side of the hotel has outstanding views of SF and the bay. They were very accommodating when asked for room upgrades. The concierge lounge has a very good continental breakfast and evening hot appetizers and cheese tray. Its open 24 hours for soft drinks, water, fruit, etc. Parking like all SF hotels is expensive. It is convenient as the main elevators go down to the parking garage, however, finding the entrance to the parking garage was a little challenging the first time. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel! I don't think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments from your recent visit. I love to hear when guests enjoy their stay and had a wonderful experience with our great team of service professionals. I was pleased to see that you were upgraded and even had the opportunity to sample the Executive Lounge. You are quite correct about parking in SF being expensive. This is one city in California that you really do not need a car, as our public transit system is the best in west coast. Thank you for the added endorsement and we hope to see you again soon.