“Beautiful hotel in the heart of Chinatown”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #70 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern Virginia
“Beautiful hotel in the heart of Chinatown”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here in a room booked through Priceline. It's a fantastic location if you don't mind the hustle and bustle of Chinatown, which as some reviewers have noted is crowded and a bit dirty in places (Chinatown only - the hotel was immaculate). The staff and service were terrific. Staff members went out of their way to be friendly and welcoming and to offer help when we asked for it. We were given a room on the top floor with a great view of Coit Tower and Alcatraz (although our room only had one somewhat narrow window). The lobby of the hotel is beautiful with a strong Chinese theme. One tip - the hotel parking is quite expensive (~$60/nt as I recall). If you just want to stash your car, the garage across the street (Portsmouth Square Garage, enter off Kearney) is on $27/day and extremely convenient to the hotel. This is a great part of town to walk and explore from.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OleanderKings
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Another Perfect Score....Thank you!! I was pleased to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations, the view, the staff and services on your recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. It also was great to read that even though you booked a great deal with Priceline, you were still accommdated in a great room! There are a lot of people thinking that because of their rate or method of booking, they will get a bad room. You are proof that this is not so. Again, thank you for your 5 STAR rating and I hope that when your future plans calls for another SF visit, you will once again stay with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Recent half marathon brought us to this hotel due to the proximity to the start line. We had requested for a fee, and were upgraded to a balcony room on the 27th floor and the view overlooking the city and the bay was outstanding! Although chilly in the evening, it was perfect for our morning coffee and post activity drinks as we soaked in our view of Alcatraz and the North Beach nieghbourhood and access to the executive lounge on the 26th floor provided an excellent continental breakfast to start the day. On the edge of Chinatown and North Beach we had some great meals out, most notably the R and G Oriental restaurant right across the street. There was definitely a reason for the line up getting in. Also across the street and slightly up the hill to the left of the park was a great little Vietnamese restaurant serving excellent pho and vermicelli bowls if you like that sort of thing - sorry can't remember the name and fine dining it is not but I eat a lot of Vietnamese and this was one of the best.
Service at the Hilton was excellent, there is a hop on hop off bus that stops right outside the door for a quick tour of the city and you are within walking distance of the Embaracardo.
The only suggestion I have for those who like snacks and drinks in the room is bring with or purchase on your way back to the hotel - was not much available in the immediate area to purchase these items, especially in the evening when most businesses around the financial district shut down for the day.
Hilton Hotels continue to impress and I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure if getting a balcony to request bayside as the views from the other side are not nearly as...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the Perfect Score! Our top floor rooms are great....we are one of only about 3 or 4 hotels to even have a balcony on the top floor in San Francisco. Great tips on restaurants and surrounding area. Again, thank you for the wonderful endorsement and I hope to see you again in the near future!
Clovis, California
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I would give the hotel a 5 if it wasn't the neighborhood. I have stayed in the financial district of SF before and I thought I'd get something similar to that but it's a little ghetto outside of the hotel. Overall, the hotel staff was friendly, the rooms were clean, and I had a good night sleep. I was put in a small room with a double bed, which was very small, but considering I only paid 116 plus tax a night, I am not complaining much. Tip: park across the street, it's 27 versus the 50 the hotel charges.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the accommodations and the service you experienced. I am sorry that you did not particularly like the immediate surrounding neighborhood. Great tip on parking if you will not be using your car to go in and out once you arrive. Again, thank you for your feedback and I do hope you will once again consider staying with us when your future plans includes another San Francisco visit.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Great hotel located in perfect spot in the city with excellent service and a friendly staff that is ready to help! I will definitely stay here again in the future.

I arrived on a Sat for a quick, early Aug trip. I knew that the hotel was located right in the financial district from looking it up on-line, but what did that really mean? Well, if you're there on a weekday, get ready for the hussle and bussle of the city, because that is where it happens. On the weekend, the entire area was surprisingly quiet, calm and serene. I had a bay view room and it was well worth it. The room overlooked the bay and waking up on a foggy Sun morning, it could not have been better. San Francisco is so small that getting from the hotel to any place in the city is always a short cab away. On Sat, we took a drive accross the Golden Gate Bridge, then checked into the hotel. From the hotel, we went to "little Italy" for lunch and drinks then the Marina for a game of "pop shot" at a local bar followed by some walking around then dinner at A16 (amazing food). After dinner and a few more drinks, we took a cab back to the hotel and called it a night. Very easy to maneuver around the city from the hotel. On Sun, we took a walk down to Fisherman's Wharf and had some delicious coffee and lunch. The local area around the hotel had little life because it was Sun, but after lunch, we took an $8 cab to the Marina and life was in full swing.

The actual hotel and hotel room were great although we didn't spend much time there. The lobby was clean and everyone from the valet to the front desk and cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a room with a King size bed and it was just as described by the hotel's website.

Many people complain about the high cost of parking in the city, but that is a fact of life there. Either cab it and not deal with parking or pay up. Usually ends up about the same financially, but when you cab it you deal with less hassle and frustration when trying to find parking in the city.

Last, prior to the trip, I was reading reviews on-line and kept noticing that the hotel assistant GM David Iwamoto responded to reviews, both good and bad. Before the trip, I took this as a good sign and after the trip, I realize that the time dedicated to reviewing these posts is a great sign for the consumer. By taking the time to respond or at least review, GMs like David Iwamoto set the tone for an environment that takes action when necessary to correct deficiencies or at least address problems when little can be done about it (ie parking). As expected, the hotel had great energy and I can directly relate that with excellent leadership.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and we will be back to visit in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ViperDrive
Another Perfect Score....Thank you!! I am absolutely humbled by your review and detailed experiences of your visit to San Francisco. You can easily be one on our Concierges with your review of your brief visit to our beautiful San Francisco. Your comments about parking, neighborhoods, and even restaurants you visited are 'spot on'. Again, thank you for your feedback and endorsement. The staff here works extremely hard at delivering the Hilton Promise "to ensure that every guest feels cared for, valued, and respected". I sincerely hope to see you again soon, and please search me out upon your return, as I would love to personally thank you.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 8 August 2012

A wonderful Hotel with a great staff in a perfect location. Great rooms with reasonable prices. Nice restaurant and Bar. Walking distance to most downtown day & night hot spots. Easy access to all public transportation systems.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
5 Stars! Thank you for your great comments of your recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. I was so happy to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and the amenities, service, and location of this hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I had an amazing first visit to San Francisco, and I have this hotel to thank for it. I traveled from Texas to San Francisco with shorts and a halter dress thinking it was going to be warm and sunny...boy was I wrong. It was cool and cloudy lol!

When I entered the hotel and went to the front desk, I could tell that the staff there was knowledgeable and professional. When I went to my room, I just knew this it was going to be a great stay! The window my room was huge! Not just height, but length. I had an amazing view of the city and I'm all about a "great view". Well this definitely delivered. The desk which was connected to the window served as a sitting area for me to look out my window :) You could tell that this hotel put money into keeping it modern and updated. The bed was comfortable and it came with plenty of plush pillows. When I went downstairs to the 750 Restaurant & Bar, a pleasant young lady was there to assist me. I was able to take my food upstairs after they prepared it and enjoy it in my room. It was very satisfying. There was a jazz music channel on the tv and it's just what I needed while taking in this city. The thermostat worked great by the way.

The bathroom had a sliding door to separate the room from the bathroom. It had plenty of counter space and nice complimentary toiletries. The clothing storage space was very modern. There were lots of places surrounding the hotel so if your a person who likes to be out and about exploring the city, this is a great location! However, if you're like me and you brought the wrong clothes to wear (lol) or you just want a place where you can relax in a comfy yet classy hotel, this is the place!

It was quiet in the halls and definitely not a hotel where you'd see lots of families with young kids vacationing. If that matters to you...

I highly recommend considering this hotel when your in downtown San Fransisco.

Happy Travels to you

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank VariousPlaces
WOW....a Perfect Score on your 1st visit to the beautiful City of San Francisco! Thank you for your wonderful and detailed comments of your visit to the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. Thank you for your endorsement and I hope to see you again on your 2nd visit to San Francisco!!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have stayed at this property many times in the past, though this is my first review. Funny how you are more inclined to review a property that disappoints you or review a property that amazes you. Sadly this property failed myself and my family on a multitude of levels. We checked in on a Satruday afternoon. We are quite used to the very high parking rates in San Francisco so $60 per night was nothing new to us. What was new to us was the complete and total lack of service from the Bell staff and the Valet. We literally muscled our luggage, our son, his carseta, his stroller and all the other stuff you require when you have a infant out of our car and into the lobby cokmpletely alone and without ever an offer to assist. Are you kidding me? To the front desk we go where we requested a crib for my son and headed to the 17th floor King room. I am so grateful for the Guestmob.com rate of $165 plus tax, had we paid full rate I would have DEMANDED a refund. The room was average Hilton, soft comfy King bed, lots of pillows and nice sheets. We had a very pretty view of the Coit Tower (one of the reason we choose this property) and the bay. A work desk takes up the entire window area, it would be nice to have a lounge chair or love seat like other hotels instead of a ginormous desk, but granted this hotel is in the financial district and China town, and I imagine it caters to business travelers. That's pretty much where the fun ends for us. The bathroom was DIRTY. I mean really dirty. There was visible toothpaste/water spots/spray (YUCK!) all over the mirror that hangs above the sink. I wanted to wash away the dirt on my face and when I removed a hand towel from the shelf a LONG BLACK hair fell out of the towel. Ew. Went to give my son a bath and as usual I rinsed everything out, (don't we all?) just to make sure. It was like cleaning a dirty bathtub not just a quick rinse. I literally had to get down on hands and knees with a wash cloth and SCRUB out this bathtub/shower combo. It was so gross. I hate cleaning at 4 star hotels! I continued to find strange hairs ALL over the room the entire time we were there. Un acceptable. Remember the crib? Oh yea, an hour plus later still no crib and my baby was cranky and ready for a nap. I called the front desk, maam, the crib will be there any minute. 20 minutes go by. I called the housekeeping department, Oh Maam! MY mistake, we are on the way. 20 more minutes later, husband calls the front desk, oh Sir, he is ON the way! Yeah right. 15 more minutes go by and a man presents the crib to a screaming baby in our room. Yea fun trip so far. The drama NEVER ended at this hotel. We were treated like second class citizens from start to finish. I have NO idea why. We usually arrive in our bright red sports car, but this trip we borrowed a rather beat up sedan from family since our car(s) were being serviced. My husband is convinced this is the reason we have been treated so lovely in the past and so crummy this time around. I can't make heads or tails of it but either way our credit card is just as good as the guy with the Ferrari. On the morning of check out we decided to take advantage of the late check out and go for breakfast downstairs in the hotel lobby. After taking my shower and starting to blow dry my hair, the power outlets failed. Not one, but ALL. The TV was off, the lights, everything. I called to the hotel operator who rudely cut me off saying, so you need a new blow dryer? NO, I don't need a new blow dryer I need the circuit breaker to be reset because your blow dryer blew all the fuses to the GFI outlets in the room! Oh, she says I'll let maintenance know. Well wouldnt you know it there we sit for 15 minutes, not a peep from anyone. Exasperated I called the front desk, and yes I was mad. I asked for a manager and was patched through to Mr. [--] the "Front Office Director" Mr. [--] was informed of ALL of my service issues to that point and was friendly and apologetic. He assured me that our maintenance issue would be addressed and that he would even credit our folio for a future night's stay in an effort to make things right. Wow. How nice. We proceeded to go down to breakfast only to be told that the main dining area was closed as they were setting up for an elaborate Jazz Brunch for which the snarky hostess informed us of the cost as though to say, I realize you can't afford it. Are you kidding me? I had my FILL of the Hilton and I wanted out. When we checked out guess what? NO mention or note of any credit voucher on our folio. How embarassing that I had to even ASK in the first place. Here arrives Mr. [--] OH so sorry that he forgot to note our folio. So sorry in fact he agrees to credit not only a future nights stay but our Valet parking fee of $60 as well. He takes all of my personal information, shakes my hand and apologizes profusivley. Well here I sit Monday afternoon, no credit for the valet on my credit card, but PLENTY of charges for incidentals ($100) valet $60.00 and another $50.00 for which I cannot account the reason. Lesson here? I will NEVER stay at the Hilton Financial District again. If I bid Priceline, I will purposely avoid bidding in the Financial District Zone as to ensure we don't win a bid from them EVER again. The cleanliness of the room (lack of) and other minor things could have easily been over looked, and often are when we stay at hotels, but the customer service BOMB cannot be forgiven. We truly felt like the total BURDEN to this hotel and I have never left a hotel in tears before. But this was my first time. Thank you Hilton for RUINING that last leg of our trip. PS I did write the hotel manager Mr. Obrien Monday morning, and of course I have not yet had a response. But we shall see. If you want to know what if anything happened please feel free to email me. I am not an overly ridiculous customer although I do expect to receive the service we pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a Coit Tower view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Hawaiiluv
David I, Manager at Hilton San Francisco Financial District, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for your detailed account of your recent visit to the Hilton Financial District. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel as I do not know have your contact info. I will bring your review to our management meeting so we can address all specific issues. I assure you that this is NOT the norm and I apologize for the difficulties you and your family encountered. Again, thank you for your feedback and I hope to hear from you directly.