“Nice digs”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 November 2008

Super nice accommodations. Remodeled less than three years ago, the Hilton's got a luxurious, clean, contemporary feel now. The outside still looks like a Soviet fortress, but who cares? The beds feature beautiful linens, feather beds, down comforters and pillows, and European-style duvets. Everything felt clean and new.

Great service all around, from the parking attendant to the concierge. I thought I was in a major jam when I realized I had forgotten to pack a couple basic personal care items and I didn't have time to run to the drug store before catching a ferry. A quick flip through Hilton's guest book revealed their "Forgot to Pack" service, which offers dozens of toiletries at no cost. Room service delivered my items in five minutes!

My major complaint: *tons* of street noise. Even on the 10th floor we could hear conversations from the sidewalk below, the trash collection early in the morning sounded like it was right outside our window, and when a Harley went by it felt like we were inside the tailpipe. Maybe there is something going on with the outside acoustics here...

Here's a tip: hotels in the business district aren't busy on the weekends. We went on priceline and bid $99/night for four-star hotels in this area; priceline counter-offered at $120/night and we were in business. Compare to $300/night on hilton's website.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Francisco Financial District

Reviewed 13 November 2008

My husband & I stayed at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District the last week of October.... I am a tripadvisor addict before we travel places so I figured I owed it to all my fellow travelers to post reviews from our west coast adventure.

The Hilton San Francisco Financial District has many pros, yet many cons....

CONS:
~I didn't want to believe the tripadvisor rumors... but YES it is true... the walls are PAPER THIN... actually it may not be the walls... but if you are in a room with an adjoining door to the next room... you are just out of luck!!! celebrating our 1 year anniversary we were accompanied by yelling and screaming and cursing to a sports channel next door... it was amazing, I mean we felt like we were sitting in the room with the guys next door cheering on the World Series... thank goodness they checked out the next morning and our last 2 nights were quiet!
~The Restaurant... we were very excited to eat in the cool retro restaurant... but this sums it up.. there were 2 other tables in the lounge area... we sat down to have a quick drink and some food b/c we were too tired to venture out into SF... 11 minutes after we sat down we got greeted by a server (forgot his name) I asked for a drink list and menus... 4 minutes later we got a menu... 8 minutes later he took our drink order.... 16 minutes later we received our drinks... anyways I won't even continue... lets just say it was the worst dining experience I have ever had!!! I felt so dumb and out of place... "be hospitable" is the hilton motto and yea.... I think that needs to be re-evaluated in the restaurant!!

PROS: (lets end on a good note)
~ The Concierge desk is FABULOUS!! The best I have ever encountered.... ERIC and his staff are awesome! Everytime we encountered Eric he made me feel like I was a queen or something.. They had the best recommendations for dinner and things to do etc... and nothing was too much trouble. I think that the hospitality of the concierge desk staff was 200%.... it truly made me forget my restaurant experience and I left the hotel on a positive note...purely b/c of the concierge...
~Daphne...I never met her but she knows how to get things done and I appreciated that!!
~THE VIEW from our room was amazing!! nothing like i had ever seen before!!! see pics
~Location... we walked to chinatown, walked to union square, walked 4 blocks to catch a trolly to fishermans wharf... good location!!!
~The hotel is beautifully appointed and very clean!!!

AGAIN, beautiful hotel, great concierge staff... great roomservice gentelman... but other areas just need to be worked on.... If I was in San Fran again I would stay at the Hilton Financial District again just to see the concierge staff and enjoy the beautiful views and nicely appointed rooms :-)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsFallis
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We got a great rate of $125 per night with Priceline for this hotel.

The hotel is right next to the Transamerica Pyramid on one side and Chinatown on the other. It's a 10 minute walk to Market Street/Union Square, mostly on the flat. And has good bus connections.

The hotel looks terrible outside - really drab looking building - but inside is a different matter. Bright lobby, with very smart rooms. A useful desk runs all along one side of the room in front of the windows - we had a city view on the 15th floor. Rooms had free wireless access.

Great location, great rate, and comfortable room.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2008

This is a great hotel. Any hotel in San Francisco is going to be a little loud. The cars always seem to be honking at something. Yes, I could hear people in the next room. It didn't bother me. I always sleep with ear plugs at any hotel. I stayed on the 25th floor which gave me access to the concierge lounge. Breakfast was great every day. Not alot of variety from day to day, but plenty to choose from; cereal, bagels, muffins, english muffins, lots of fresh fruit, orange juice, cranberry juice, coffee. In the evening they had some vegetables, dip, cheese, bread, crackers, coke, sprite, water, & a hot appetizer. Enough for a light "snack dinner".

My room was very functional and clean. The beds are VERY comfortable.

Even though this is literally right next to China town it is really in a great location. Columbus street is just a block away with plenty of public transportation and GREAT food.

A great bonus was that the hotel offered a town car for transportation in the morning - free of charge (of course a tip is generally expected).

I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 1 November 2008

Stayed here for a conference, and came away with a positive feeling about the hotel. The hotel is located right next to Chinatown, so if you like Chinese food, you'll be in hog heaven here. Be sure to try the Dim Sum for lunch at the Imperial Palace - we had it two days in a row. Also went to the Empress for dinner... about a block away.

I took the Super Shuttle to and from the hotel from SFO for $17 plus tip. Never needed a car during my three day stay... plenty of places to eat within easy walking distance.

The room (813) was nicely furnished and decorated, with good use of relatively small square footage. A picture window spanned the entire wall, and a desk ran the length of the window. My room had a great view of Coit Tower and occasionally San Francisco Bay off in the distance. This room still had an old style TV, instead of the flat screens which seem to be more and more common. There were a few relatively minor maintenance issues with the room, but nothing I couldn't live with. These included a black-out curtain that was ripped and "repaired" with a Band-Aid, a phone that didn't work (the other one had assorted single call buttons, none of which were functional), and some struggles with the heater, which seemed locked on an unusually cool 70 degrees. The shower took a little getting used to, since the shower head was only shoulder high (I'm six feet tall).

I'd characterize the front desk service as competent, but not overly service oriented. No valet greeted me upon arrival... I got the impression they were really busy with conference attendees (ours and others).

Room service for dinner was very good the first night (Pacific salmon), but only so-so the last night (a parsimonious club sandwich). The folks who delivered it, though, were very pleasant and efficient.

My room had a single cup Lavazza coffee maker, and each day I was provided with a single supply of caffeinated coffee and one of decaf. One cup just isn't enough for me in the morning... I needed more.

Despite the relatively minor problems, the location and decor trumped all. I'd have no problem returning here next time I'm in San Francisco.

1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Good Hotel. Advertised as a "business hotel" which I guess means small lobby. My Hilton Honors card must have worked, because I was upgraded to top floor (27) which has a balcony and great view of SF harbor and Coit tower. Room was well done, nice amenity kit, and this floor had free internet (I do not think it is free on other floors). Front desk was very friendly. Housekeeping left thank you note for pillow tip. Close to China Town, and public transportation is easy, but not short walk to much else. Avoid bringing a car into SF because it will be a hassle. Overnight parking in the hotel is $48, and $24 in the public parking structure across the street. If you get a good rate, this is a good hotel I would recommend, even without floor 27.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 October 2008

The drab architecture of the building itself is the only evidence that this used to be a Holiday Inn. The rooms and common areas have been completely redone and now look more like an upscale boutique hotel.

The rooms have been redesigned in a very modern but warm decor. The best part is the long desk that lines the window so that you are easily distracted by a great view. I usually prefer wired internet access as I almost always have signal strength and consistency problems with wireless, but not here. Good strong signal at all times. The Japanese style sliding door to the bathroom was one of the best I've seen as there was almost no space along the sides - a common problem that hampers privacy if sharing the room. A comfortable bed was complimented by a stylish chaise lounge.

I did not spend much time in the hotel itself but was impressed with the design of the lobby and the food and retail outlets. The staff was pleasant and helpful. Room service breakfast was pricey but tasty and on time.

One of the best things about this hotel is it's location. It is sandwiched by Chinatown and the Financial District, and only one block away from R&G Lounge and House of Nanking - two Chinatown favorites. A short walk takes you further into Chinatown or to North Beach.

Lastly, all the reviews I read about excessive noise had worried me, but I was not disturbed - by internal or external noise - one iota. I did notice that the ice machine was very loud so had I been in the room next to it I might have thought differently.