“Beautiful views, lacking details..”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #68 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern CA
“Beautiful views, lacking details..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2009

Had I been traveling for business, this would be an excellent place to stay. The rooms and hotel have really been designed with the business traveler in mind. The hotel is very modern and stylish and has a comfy bed. This hotel does call itself 'financial district', but it is really more Chinatown/North Beach. It is pretty much the end of the financial district, so you may want to see if it really is close to where you need to be.
Pros: Nice room layout, good bed, GREAT views, newly renovated with all the standard amenities of a 4 star hotel, complimentary Internet and large desk/work space
Cons: Ridiculous parking charges ($50, I lived in S.F. for years, this is NOT standard, park across the street for HALF), slow valet (call way ahead to get your car), not convenient to many financial dist. areas, bathroom was more 3 star (standard), had free soap, etc and pay choice...at a 4 star? tacky!, missing light bulbs, broken iron, unplugged lamps and old TV. Oh, and a rude and unfriendly desk clerk who gave me a double (after asking for a king), and rolled her eyes at me when I returned to switch
I would stay here again, but would park elsewhere and arrive early enough to inspect my room before bed to be sure I had proper lighting and a working iron. If I was Hilton I'd step up my service, this town has a lot of competition.

• Liked — Views and Bed
  • Disliked — parking charges, rude staff, no lightbulbs and broken iron
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MattAndEmilysTravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wilton, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

Paper thin walls and very noisey - even when staying very high up. Room clean and nice bed. Overall exceptional value for money at the weekend when booked on hilton.com

• Stayed November 2008
Redwood City, Calif
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

My husband and I were in SF overnight for my b-day. The location was perfect for what my husband had planned and the room was great. Our view was of Coit Tower and part of the Bay. The bed was very comfortable!! My husband called in advance to have champange and a fruit/cheese platter waiting for us and it was there. Front desk staff was average at check- in and check-out. The valet parking staff were really nice! The only thing about valet parking (overnight) it cost $47!!! Wow that was a shock. I am use to parking fees at City hotels and was thining about $25-$30 per night but not $47. So much for getting a good deal through Hotwire! Put that aside everything was really nice and we enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — The bed and the view
  • Disliked — The parking fee
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
N Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights when in San Francisco. As a Hilton Diamond got upgraded to executive floor. Room was spacious and well decorated.

Executive lounge was not the usual Hilton Standard and the continental breakfast was sparce compared to many Hilton Executive Lounges in USA. It is very much a business hotel and other hotels eg Westin are much more central and better value for money.

Average nothing special.

Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

Super nice accommodations. Remodeled less than three years ago, the Hilton's got a luxurious, clean, contemporary feel now. The outside still looks like a Soviet fortress, but who cares? The beds feature beautiful linens, feather beds, down comforters and pillows, and European-style duvets. Everything felt clean and new.

Great service all around, from the parking attendant to the concierge. I thought I was in a major jam when I realized I had forgotten to pack a couple basic personal care items and I didn't have time to run to the drug store before catching a ferry. A quick flip through Hilton's guest book revealed their "Forgot to Pack" service, which offers dozens of toiletries at no cost. Room service delivered my items in five minutes!

My major complaint: *tons* of street noise. Even on the 10th floor we could hear conversations from the sidewalk below, the trash collection early in the morning sounded like it was right outside our window, and when a Harley went by it felt like we were inside the tailpipe. Maybe there is something going on with the outside acoustics here...

Here's a tip: hotels in the business district aren't busy on the weekends. We went on priceline and bid $99/night for four-star hotels in this area; priceline counter-offered at $120/night and we were in business. Compare to $300/night on hilton's website.

• Liked — Well-appointed rooms
  • Disliked — Street noise came right up the side of the building and through our window
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2008

My husband & I stayed at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District the last week of October.... I am a tripadvisor addict before we travel places so I figured I owed it to all my fellow travelers to post reviews from our west coast adventure.

The Hilton San Francisco Financial District has many pros, yet many cons....

CONS:
~I didn't want to believe the tripadvisor rumors... but YES it is true... the walls are PAPER THIN... actually it may not be the walls... but if you are in a room with an adjoining door to the next room... you are just out of luck!!! celebrating our 1 year anniversary we were accompanied by yelling and screaming and cursing to a sports channel next door... it was amazing, I mean we felt like we were sitting in the room with the guys next door cheering on the World Series... thank goodness they checked out the next morning and our last 2 nights were quiet!
~The Restaurant... we were very excited to eat in the cool retro restaurant... but this sums it up.. there were 2 other tables in the lounge area... we sat down to have a quick drink and some food b/c we were too tired to venture out into SF... 11 minutes after we sat down we got greeted by a server (forgot his name) I asked for a drink list and menus... 4 minutes later we got a menu... 8 minutes later he took our drink order.... 16 minutes later we received our drinks... anyways I won't even continue... lets just say it was the worst dining experience I have ever had!!! I felt so dumb and out of place... "be hospitable" is the hilton motto and yea.... I think that needs to be re-evaluated in the restaurant!!

PROS: (lets end on a good note)
~ The Concierge desk is FABULOUS!! The best I have ever encountered.... ERIC and his staff are awesome! Everytime we encountered Eric he made me feel like I was a queen or something.. They had the best recommendations for dinner and things to do etc... and nothing was too much trouble. I think that the hospitality of the concierge desk staff was 200%.... it truly made me forget my restaurant experience and I left the hotel on a positive note...purely b/c of the concierge...
~Daphne...I never met her but she knows how to get things done and I appreciated that!!
~THE VIEW from our room was amazing!! nothing like i had ever seen before!!! see pics
~Location... we walked to chinatown, walked to union square, walked 4 blocks to catch a trolly to fishermans wharf... good location!!!
~The hotel is beautifully appointed and very clean!!!

AGAIN, beautiful hotel, great concierge staff... great roomservice gentelman... but other areas just need to be worked on.... If I was in San Fran again I would stay at the Hilton Financial District again just to see the concierge staff and enjoy the beautiful views and nicely appointed rooms :-)

• Liked — the view, the concierge staff, the cleanliness of rooms
  • Disliked — the restaurant service, the thin walls
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsFallis
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2008

We got a great rate of $125 per night with Priceline for this hotel.

The hotel is right next to the Transamerica Pyramid on one side and Chinatown on the other. It's a 10 minute walk to Market Street/Union Square, mostly on the flat. And has good bus connections.

The hotel looks terrible outside - really drab looking building - but inside is a different matter. Bright lobby, with very smart rooms. A useful desk runs all along one side of the room in front of the windows - we had a city view on the 15th floor. Rooms had free wireless access.

Great location, great rate, and comfortable room.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends