“Overall better than expected”

Hilton San Francisco Financial District
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 12 January 2011

I stayed at the Hilton Financial district for the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in January. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was updated and clean. Check In was reasonably efficient and service was good. My only major complaint was that the shower was not very hot. Otherwise, I would have given 5 stars. Good Dim Sum place around the corner and the hotel was 5-6 blocks from Union Square or the Ferry building.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Francisco Financial District

Reviewed 11 January 2011

A good location for doing business with companies located in San Francisco's financial district. The hotel is incredibly convenient to Chinatown, but is rather far (and a climb) from most of the other, popular desitinations with no access to public transportation. If you're coming in to sitesee, I would choose another hotel.

The room is modern and bed is comfortable. Bay view rooms have a spectacular view of the SF Bay and Alcatraz Island. The built in desk across the entire window area gives plenty of work space, but was really designed to hide the AC/heater unit in the room. Internet service was good during the day, but slowed to a crawl by about 4PM each day.

Staffing seemed a little short during my stay. There were enough employees to take care of routine business. The coffee/ wine tasting bar was only open in the morning for coffee.

The on-site restaurant and bar still have that depressed solo traveler feel. Decor is vintage 1980s. The breakfast buffet is overpriced and has a poor selection of options. Even with the HHonors free breakast voucher, it isn't a good value.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2011

I have always stayed in the Union Square area, but this will be my new hotel in SF. My friend and I chose the Financial District because we wanted to be near the Ferry Building to catch the Amtrak bus/train to Yosemite.

This is a great location! Walk to the Ferry Building, public transportation, North Beach and Chinatown. The R&G Lounge, a terrific Chinese restaurant, is just down the block. The room was very comfortable, and our view of Coit Tower and the bay was fanastic. People at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NaMacD2
Reviewed 4 January 2011

I spent NYE evening with friends at the Hilton Financial District and was pleasantly surprised with both the rooms themselves and the hotel staff. I got a last minute deal for $99/night with my AAA card for NYE while the regular rate was close to $300! I loved the central location to our weekend plans - the walk to dinner in North Beach and lunch the next day in Chinatown was incredibly short.

The bed was comfortable, the Crabtree & Evelyn bath products were fabulous, and the room was spacious (in comparison to other SF hotels). Overall lovely stay!

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We got our reservation at this Hilton through Priceline, and I was a little concerned based on reading the reviews. HOWEVER, it turned out to be just perfect. When we arrived at the hotel at noon after our cross-country flight, we thought we would just leave our bags and come back at check-in time. Instead, they gave us our room immediately and made sure to give us a quiet room away from the building construction across the street. The concierge was cordial and helpful. The king-size bed was truly comfortable and the room amenities were very good. Although the immediate neighborhood is nothing special, it was easy walking distance to North Beach, the Embarcadero, Union Square - anything and everything we could want. All in all, a fine place to stay in the City.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2011

While the location of the Hilton is a little funky (it is really next to Chinatown, and almost a mile away from the heart of the Financial district), I still recommend staying there. While a large hotel with a mass of people going in and out (and a lot of street noise at the lower levels), the upper levels of the hotel have a great view of the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 December 2010

My wife and I stayed at this property last Saturday, here are my thoughts as a Hilton Honors Gold.

Arrival:
Took BART to Montgomery St. Station and it is a decent hike to the hotel (maybe 15 minutes?) but not an overly difficult one IMO. If you have a lot of bags it would not be so great.

Check-In:
We arrived in the afternoon on Saturday and it was a bit of a zoo. I dont think it was so busy but their check-in area has very limited space to form a line so the line can back up to the door entrance area etc so it can get messy and confusing. They did bring out some help once they noticed the line was getting pretty long.

Room:
The room we got was nice but it was extremely small with just a double bed. Probably the smallest room I have ever been given and right next to the elevators to boot. We where there for only one night so didnt bother to complain. They have free hight speed internet available also.

Bar/Restaurant:
Had a few drinks at the bar and service was pretty good. Nice selection of wines and I had an appetizer of ahi tuna and it was pretty good. We had breakfast early the next morning. They use the bar area of the restaurant as the continental breakfast section and the main restaurant area has the hot section. We elected to order off the menu as I did not think the buffet looked that great. The food really good and the service was good as well. We where there early on Sunday though and the lady at the front said it definitely gets really busy later.

Area:
I dont find the area that great. China town nearby but not didnt find the area so great otherwise. Nothing terrible about it but just imagine your typical financial district on a weekend.

This would not be my first choice in the future but if I got a good rate I would consider it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple