Our family of four stayed at the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf recently for one night on our road trip down the coast.
The pros: For the price, the location of this hotel really can't be beat. It is just around the corner from the Wharf, two blocks from Ghirardelli Square, and close to the trolleys/cable cars. It was nice to be able to easily and quickly walk everywhere we wanted to go. The staff is friendly and the place is very clean and updated.
The cons: First, this particular con is specific to our room location. We had a second story room overlooking the garbage dumpsters (alley). That in itself didn't bother me; we didn't really expect a good view and we wouldn't be in the room much anyway. Not a problem at all. Until the next morning when the first garbage truck came. At 6:00 a.m. I am not exaggerating when I say that we thought San Francisco was experiencing an earthquake. The noise and ground-shaking rumbling of the truck, combined with the screeching, banging and clanging of the dumpsters, was deafening. Luckily, it only lasted for about 5 minutes, so we were able to get back to sleep. Then the second garbage truck came less than an hour later, and we got to experience it all over again. Maybe this isn't a daily thing; maybe Wednesday morning is their weekly trash pick up day. I guess I should have been smart enough to put two and two together and realize that a garbage truck might come during our stay (at 6:00 a.m.), and requested another room. My bad. Don't make the same mistake: Be on the safe side (or the quiet side) and make sure you get a room far, far on the other side of the hotel from the dumpsters. If you like to sleep past 6:00 a.m. while on vacation, and if something akin to a nuclear bomb detonating outside your bedroom window wakes you, you will be glad you did.
Second, breakfast is not included. It seems that none of the hotels near the wharf offer breakfast included in the price. I guess they feel that it is an amenity that they just don't have to offer because the lack thereof will not impact their business in any way.
Third, the $40.00 per day parking fee. Unfortunately, space is at a premium in this area of San Francisco, and you will not escape parking fees. The good news is that their parking fee is only $40.00. I saw other hotels in the area with parking fees in the $50-$60 range. I still list it as a con because I had to pay $40.00 to park my tiny, compact, hybrid rental car.
Even with the cons listed, if I could ensure a room far, far away from the dumpsters (made an otherwise 4-star review a 3-star review), I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again in the future because of it's location and relative value compared to similar hotels in the area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For business travel or San Francisco, California vacations, Holiday Inn San Francisco Fisherman s Wharf hotel welcomes you to the Bay City. When searching for top San Francisco hotels near Fisherman s Wharf, stay in comfort at our full-service San Francisco lodging. Walk to attractions including Pier 39, Alcatraz, Bay Cruise ferries and Ghirardelli Square. Hop on a cable car outside our hotel to visit Union Square, Financial District, Moscone Convention Center, Chinatown and AT&T Ballpark. After exploring the area, retreat to our San Francisco, California hotel to unwind in a room appointed with high-speed Internet access, in-room games and pay-per-view movies. For dining, enjoy a meal at the 24-hour Denny s or head to our Bristol Bar & Grill for a tantalizing meal and a drink. Additional on-site amenities include: laundry facilities, fitness center, an outdoor heated pool with sundeck and secure parking is available for $43 per day. Reserve your stay at our hotel in San Francisco, CA to be greeted with attentive service and superb accommodations in an unmatched locale. For spectacular savings, book a San Francisco travel package or hotel deal. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Priceline, IHG, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Francisco Fishermans Wharf Hotel San Francisco
- San Francisco Holiday Inn