“A relaxed stay”

Ranked #76 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Stockholm
“A relaxed stay”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Stayed three nights in August 2013. (my second visit to SF)

I kind of liked this hotel, the location was good. The room was fairly spacious and comfortable. Both the Wifi and air conditioning worked well. The staff were friendly. The check in and check out went fast. Our stay was relaxed and with not that much to say.

I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again if visiting SF in the future.

3,5/5

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gyllenbock
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
I’m happy that the location, amenities, room, and service met your needs. It’s hard to get it all right, but it’s worth the effort when we can be your S.F hotel in the future. Thank you for the review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South West England
Reviewed 28 December 2013

stayed for two nights as part of a tour. Rooms good, big comfy beds and usual facilities. The cable car stop is on the corner so it was very easy to get to and from all the sights. We ate in the hotel one night. Not good. We ordered starter and main course. We waited for ages then both courses arrived at the same time. The restaurant manager was unapologetic and really tried to tell us it was our fault for ordering starters. We were eventually offered a discount but very poor service. The restaurant was closed so you had to eat in the bar. Following morning the restaurant was open for breakfast which was first class and the service was excellent.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Harvey58
It's great to hear that the bed and breakfast part of the hotel was excellent, as well as the proximity to the cable car. I'm a little bothered by your experience at dinner. Consistency seems to be an issue here. Thank you for giving up both the compliments and the food for thought.
Alameda, California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Wonderful Hotel with great service, good price for Downtown SF. It has a nice location, perfect for our convention. The staff was very friendly and assisted in finding places to go and visit while here
like " The Buena Vista" Irish coffee bar, what a treat.
The Rooms were spacious and clean and the rooms service quick and loely. My stay could have not been a better experience. Thank you management

Room Tip: great for Downtown San Francisco
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank aaiandrea
Ooh, I love going down to that bar for an Irish coffee and a Dungeness crab appetizer. Lots of good people watching across from that park, too. Thank you for writing about the staff. They are a fantastic group to work with. We look forward to your next visit.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago to attend a convention which was being held at the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway, and I was very happy with the place. The room was no different from any major chain hotel; perfectly adequate. What impressed me most favorably was the staff. Invariably very pleasant and attentive. The same with the staff in the hotel's restaurant and bar.

One of the coolest things about this hotel is its connection with public transportation. At the airport (SFO, that is) take a BART train to downtown and get off at the Embarcadero station. Right around the corner is a Cable Car station, and you can take a Cable Car on a very scenic and fun ride to within half a block of the hotel.

The hotel is also one block away from Polk St., which has a variety of cute shops and nice restaurants.

Room Tip: This hotel is on the crest of a hill. I was on the 6th floor and still had a beautiful view of the...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LeClef
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
My favorite part of your great review is the recommendation of our staff. Without attentive and friendly service, we'd be like any other hotel. Thank you for that. I also agree with your assessment of the convenience of the cable care and the many choices on Polk Street. We're in a super location.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I originally left a review 2 weeks ago ""Great View from the top floors" which was a fair and good review but had to make another review to a dispute that the hotel wouldn't resolve.

I checked out of this hotel on November 16, 2013 which it was prepaid by a travel provider. The room was upgraded but at checkout I checked to take care of any balances which I had none and received and stated that I had upgraded by room and thought I owed $45 total but the clerk said I had a "$0" balance. The credit card I originally left on file when we checked in was to cover any room services/damages as typical for hotels but I did not authorize them to use it. The hotel charged my credit card almost 3 weeks later without notifying me for $152!

I called the hotel and talked to David one of the managers who didn't want to investigate this further, he passed me off to Lynn who wouldn't answer her phone and had no voicemail. I talked to another male manager last week who was supposed to investigate but never called me back.

I have put a claim in with my Credit Card. I should have known when the gentlemen in front of me checking out asked for his receipt because he stated to the clerk that he had issues with late charges being added in past stays.

Room Tip: keep your receipts, check your credit card statement for late charges.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wade W
I can't imagine what must have been the reason to charge something so far after departure. Without first speaking with the other managers, I can only hope it wasn't a problem with the third party reservation company since the amount sounds a like a night's room and tax. However, this sounds like an ongoing issue that needs further review to make sure all billing is handled correctly. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 12 December 2013

In November I stayed at the Holiday Inn San Francisco-Golden Gateway.

My stay at the hotel could not have been better. Everyone on the staff (doorman, reception, housekeeping, and restaurant) was courteous, friendly and helpful. The management deserves high praise for the coaching and training of the staff. My room was comfortable and nicely appointed, the price competitive and in a city like San Francisco quite fair. The daily fee for parking hurt a bit but completely understandable given the location. If I was to complain at all, it would be about the noise. I could hear my neighbors (slightly) through the walls and the street traffic from the busy Van Ness Boulevard. However this is negligible at best and in no way detracted from my stay.

Kudos to the great staff. I would definitely stay there again and I would recommend the Holiday Inn Golden Gateway to anyone visiting the bay area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NocturnesNW
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for specifically mentioning the doorman, reception, housekeeping, and restaurant. They deserve the praise for your outstanding visit. We certainly appreciate the positive public feedback.
Tibenham, Norwich
Reviewed 12 December 2013

San Francisco was the final spot in our three week trip across the USA. We had a mid-level room (15th floor), which was very comfortable and spacious enough for the two of us. Once again we had two huge beds, with a single bedside table and light in between. This happened in nearly all our hotel rooms which begs the question: do couples in the States not sleep together? We do, but we had to do any reading in two separate beds! We did enjoy the location - next to the final stop for the California Avenue cable car.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
You bring up an interesting point. I’m not sure how to do the research without being too intrusive! It was an honor to be your last hotel before leaving the states. Thank you for staying with us.