“Magical views”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #75 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Had 3 nights in a corner room on 22nd floor. Amazing views watching Alcatraz with the sun setting and rising. Good room facilities including safe and fridge. Enjoyed the local restaurants, free wifi and location. Clean and a lovely ending to our stay in San Fran.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 30Trish
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

We sure appreciate your comments here. You are right out the local restaurants. Polk Street gives us so many great choices within walking distance. Please choose our hotel again on your next visit. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed here on a tour with 45 other people and we all liked it a lot.

PROS:
- Close to restaurants, public transport.
- Lovely staff and very, very helpful.
- Clean rooms with comfortable beds.

CONS:
- They only had one 1 washing machine and 1 dryer which made it quite difficult to wash clothes when your sharing with the rest of the hotel.
- They only supplied us with one room key for each room which made it difficult and inconvenient.
- You could only order room service from 5pm-10pm (around there) which was a bit annoying when wanting a midnight snack and room service not being open.

I would definitely stay here again when I come back to San Francisco. I recommend getting a room from the 9th floor up to get a better view. (The rooms start from level 5)

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms make such a big difference. I'm a little surprised with the key issue. We can make as many keys as you need and should have provided 2 upon checkin. I will be sure to follow up on this. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The lobby was cold and lighting was dim. The restaurant was in a meeting room, the servers were not friendly, overpriced Buffett. The rooms were nice, even on the 9th floor you could hear traffic. Beds were ok, pillows stunk. They had a lot of renovations in progress.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

While not the ideal location, our meeting room is being used until we finish with the new restaurant. It promises to be so much better that our old one. I'm very excited for this transition. Thank you for giving us a chance. I hope our improvements earn a second visit.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Nice location for walks around San Francisco. The rest is fairly bad.....rooms outdated....breakfast staff jaded and complaining about hotel management ...menu overpriced.

it was my daughters birthday and we were promised a cake ......it never arrived and when I emailed the manager I havent heard back to date!!

You should rather choose the HI at Fisherman's Wharf

Room Tip: Dont get a room with an adjoining room --- we had noisy neighbours and could hear them...even in the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 291Nancy
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Clearly issues among staff should be handled behind the scenes. Although I don't understand the concerns with the rooms since we just finished a full renovation on them. I will most certainly follow up with the managers to find out why you haven't heard back. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times. It has always been good. We had two rooms in this hotel in January 2014. The hotel has been refurbished, and is very nice. The service, from room maids, front desk, restaurant are excellent -- extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is less than half a block from a cable car, and a block, and is on a city bus line. The hotel is easy walking distance from civic center. This is our favorite place to stay in San Francisco

Stayed: January 2014

I love the fact that so many departments have made positive impression. Between the service and the location, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights in the summer, very pleasant stay. Perfect what we needed. Good location, with trolleys and buses right by the hotel. Bought our travel pass in the hotel shop so was already to go when leaving the hotel. Stayed in many hotels this summer, and the staff here we'e not as friendly as others. Don't particularly like lifts, if honest hate them. Every hotel we stayed at, or ever stayed always have a set of stairs we can use. One of receptionist was not accommodating at all, stated there was only the lift. A very nice gentleman, stated we could use them but make sure you close the door properly when you come down. The rooms were lovely and spotless. Very very comfortable bed, was massive!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

It's great to hear that our location and convenient transportation option make it perfect for you. I'm not so happy to hear about the stair problem. All guests are welcome to use them. Unfortunately, the lowest guest rooms begin above the garage on the 6th floor and go all the way to 26. Just because they are mostly used as emergency exits doesn't mean that we shouldn't graciously open them to our guests. Thank you for the insight.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Big concrete box affair, I would never have booked this hotel but my manager at work wanted to save money and I got booked into this place against my will. Not a good start to a hotel stay and obviously it makes me even more biased against the Holiday Inn, but nothing in my stay here caused me to change my opinion, which is to avoid this chain like the plague

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank beachloverfromlondon

While most hotels in the city are tall boxes, I wish we had more information about your visit. Usually people book our hotel because it provides a great value. I hope that proves the case for you in the future. Thank you for staying with us.