“Noisy and dusty air-con”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #76 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Hong Kong, China
“Noisy and dusty air-con”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I have heard so many complaints about this hotel being noisy and being a pet hotel my friends said that you could hear dogs barking at night. One of my co-workers didn't even have curtains in his room! And one heard someone playing a flute.

Today I'm brave enough to try out this hotel and yes it is noisy. I can hear the cars that pass by at Van ness Avenue and the clicking of the doors outside my room when the neighboring rooms are opened and closed. One time I was startled when I heard the door clicked and I was in the toilet. I thought someone entered my room! Yes it's that loud.

I came prepared. I have my ear plugs and hopefully it will do the trick.

Found lots of dust on the airconditioning unit and a big splash of water on my bathroom door. I'm too tired to have it cleaned today. I'll complain tomorrow when I wake up.

I would say they have nice interiors and good work on the renovations but please attend to small details too because cleanliness is important to clients. I wouldn't want to stay somewhere where I have to clean up my room before I can get settled.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
I was disappointed to hear that your friend couldn’t find the blackout shades. We have 2 sets of curtains in all of our rooms, light sheers in front and dark shades behind on a roller. I am also unhappy with the condition of those A/C units as well. Our renovation has made so many amazing improvements, but the new covers just didn’t work and had to be removed. We are solving that now. Attention to detail is important and we clearly have room to improve. Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Karachi
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were in San Francisco in March for vacations and chose to stay at Holiday Inn. Although quite a few hours I had spent finding the best option while I was planning my holidays but we found Holiday Inn to be one of the best choices that we had made. The hotel is centrally located with lots of eating out options near by, Tram service is right next to the hotel, rooms and hotel is extremely clean. Most importantly, the staff is very welcoming...I hope the manager on duty doesn't mind but his name was RU and he was such a help when we checked in that he gave me the map of SF, close by attractions and ensured that the rooms are ready. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: If available request for a rom facing the main city
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank enjoylife68
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
You’re absolutely right about that manager, Ru, if I do say so myself. Thank you for sharing all of the wonderful elements that made this visit so special for you. I look forward to your next trip to S.F!
West Sussex
Reviewed 16 April 2014

This is a review of the HOLIDAY INN GOLDEN GATEWAY HOTEL, located at VAN NESS AVENUE, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA USA. I booked a double room in this hotel for myself and my family who were travelling with me. The reservation was made via BOOKING.COM and we asked for and got a double room with two double beds in it. The reservation was for one night, 14th April 2014 and we obtained a rate of UK£126 for the room, which included breakfast, all booked in the UK on-line before we travelled and paid for on site at the end of the stay. At the same time, there was a rate of UK£114 for the same room WITHOUT breakfast. My family and I were visiting San Luis Obispo, about three and a half hours drive south of San Francisco, where my brother-in-law is currently living. We wanted a room in San Francisco for the night before our departure back to the UK (15th April) so that we would have some time to visit the sights of UNION SQUARE and FISHERMAN'S WHARF among others. I checked out the reviews of this establishment carefully before making a decision to book it. Let me say right away, that the hotel is located right in the city and is on a fairly busy road. It is not the most visually stunning place you will ever encounter. In fact, it is pretty dull to look at from the outside. You can, however, walk or ride the bus or cable car from very close by. We had a rental car which we chose to park overnight on the hotel property (they have a secure key garage which is very safe and secure). Getting to the hotel by car is not too difficult as we drove north on Highway 101 all the way in to the city and then exited very close by onto VAN NESS Avenue. Be aware that the turn into the hotel forecourt is quite sudden and could be missed so keep a good lookout! And it is quite tight in front of the hotel entrance with not a lot of room. However, we stopped, grabbed a baggage cart and unloaded with no problem before entering the lobby and checking in at the Reception. At no time were we asked to move the car and we were able to take our time. In view of the traffic situation in San Francisco and the readily available and reasonably priced transportation, we chose to park the car on the hotel property at a cost of US$40.00 per 24 hours plus tax. Parking in the city of San Francisco is very expensive and there are cheaper options but remember that with the hotel, if you choose to drive farther afield and then return, the rate is good for as many in and out movements you want to make and so works out cheaper. The parking garage is very secure with a double gate and key code entry system. Entering the hotel, check in was easy and we simply must mention one of the staff here, who is known only as BAKER, who provided perhaps some of the best customer service I have encountered on my world travels! There was nothing he would not do for us and nothing was too much trouble. A thoroughly nice guy who just provided exactly what you wanted with a smile and a helping hand. A huge plus for this hotel! Baker got us a lovely room on the 17th Floor (room 1710) with a nice view of the City outside and surprisingly quiet! The room was clean, elegant and well laid out with all the mod cons you need right down to hair dryer and ironing board. We also enjoyed free WIFI which was fairly fast and practical for my IPhone, my wife's IPad and my daughter's IPod and laptop. If you are intending to visit the sights, go into the Gift Shop in the hotel lobby and the lovely lady there will give you the full run down on what to buy in terms of tickets for the transportation - that will get you the best value for what you want to see. They sell all the tickets required but after pointing out what we could do and then hearing what our plans were, the lady in the gift shop said that it would be better value for us to buy on board and use the Bus rather than the Cable Car for most of our moving about the city. Again, the sort of service and advice we needed rather than trying to sell us something we didn't need! The only big minus about this overnight stay was the breakfast part of the booking. I booked with BOOKING.COM as stated above and the printout specifically stated that the rate included breakfast. When we went down for breakfast, I found that my wife and I were included but the children were not - and the total for my son of 11 years and my daughter of 14 years to eat with us came to US$25.00! I was not very happy about it and ultimately had a meeting with the Hotel Manager to discuss my complaint in detail. I discovered that the hotel has a policy where the booking adults do indeed have free breakfast but additionals (in this case my children) are charged as extras. I had a long discussion with the Manager and the fault lies with BOOKING.COM who did NOT make it clear that only the two adults were included. In the end, the Manager met me half way and he did in fact reduce the additional charge to something that we were both happy with. So please - if you choose not to book directly with the hotel and use a third party such as BOOKING.COM, make sure you know what is being included and what is not! In any event, the matter was sorted out to a mutual agreement and I must say that the breakfast buffet was substantial and more than adequate for us. Plenty of hot food and things like toast and cereal, as well as juice, exceptionally good coffee and my wife also got English tea of a good standard too. The hotel also has an outdoor pool on site, heated to 82 degrees Fahrenheit, as well as the usual vending machines if you woke up and needed a drink in the early hours! To sum up, I would say that this hotel is quite a little discovery! The place is clean, well laid out with good rooms, exceptionally well trained and helpful staff and all the amenities one is used to when travelling. If you are looking for the Ritz or something visually stunning, this is NOT it - but you WILL be surprised at the quietness, the attention to detail and the helpful staff and sheer comfort of the place. One of the better Holiday Inns I have stayed in! Lee James, West Sussex UK

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 15th Floor with a city view if you can get it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank BAW9DV
Tremendous explanation of every detail! Thank you for taking the time to mention your positive experience with Mr. Baker, the gift shop lady, and the manager. Your thoughtfulness is truly appreciated.
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Thi hotel has a great location - you can go at any direction from here and find something interesting to observe. Also there is a big variety of restaraunts and cafe in different price range so everyone can find the option that fit for them. he staff was pretty friendly too. The room has a new equipment and was pretty clean and tidy. Two things that I dislike: irritaiting card system in elevators (you must slide the card every time to use an elevator); also I forgot my toothbrush and shaving kit so I had to ask one on the reception and I can say that the quality of it was terible - the razor was blunt and toothbrush become a total mess after first usage.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
We also enjoy having so many great dining choices near the hotel. It’s one of the aspects that makes San Francisco so special. I understand the frustration with those keys. We intentionally use that system because it provides a measure of security that we could not otherwise offer. Only guests with keys can operate the elevators. Thank you for staying with us recently.
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 16 April 2014

You probably are familiar with the Holiday Inn chain if you've done any traveling in the U.S. Their San Francisco "Golden Gateway" hotel is definitely above average in terms of Holiday Inn's that I've stayed at. The rooms are standard, but clean and actually spacious (gasp). I found the hotel to be crowded when I was there (when is SF not?) and the staff was really not that friendly at all. That said, there are 1,000 worse choices for hotels in San Francisco. This one I consider a very nice middle of the line option that won't disappoint and won't make you feel like you booked a dumb.

The location is good too. San Francisco is so small it barely matters where you stay, but there is plenty to walk to around this Holiday Inn, and great bus access too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Location, location, location. We are ideally suited for seeing so much of what the city has to offer. I am thrilled that it worked so well for you. Although I would have preferred to earn raving reviews, I suppose being better than 1,000 others will just have to do for now. Please give us another chance on your next visit.
Perth
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

had 1 night stay here. great location with plenty of eateries around the area. had some fantastic thai around the corner. room was very small, parking was expensive but I understand it was in the middle of san fran. staff were courteous and welcoming. would stay again for the right price.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ColesyOZ
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
You make a good point about the price. Although the location might be perfect and the staff courteous, it still takes a good deal to seal the deal. Thank you for giving us a chance.
Cornwall, UK.
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2013, the hotel was clean but basic, but was in a good location with the cable cars right outside to hop on, and also a bus stop. It is a short walk down the hill to china town and fishermans wharf. The rooms were clean but they need to put in new windows as they were very thin and you could hear every noise possible outside. It was good for a 2 night stay, and not bad price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review about the location, room cleanliness, and windows. I hope the price meets your needs again in the future so that we may welcome you back again.