“Room not what the pictures advertise”

Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway
Ranked #74 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed here 4th of July weekend, 25th floor grand view suite - with a fabulous view. Room furniture was VERY outdated something from the 60's "modern" look. Not warm and cozy chairs or couch like advertised. Old dingy carpet, felt like people walked barefoot with wet feet and it was only vacuumed and not cleaned. Very comfortable pillows, linens were clean but not new and crispy feeling. Bathroom was OK. Toilet was outdated, seemed like a child's toilet in grade school real little, and low to the ground, a senior would have a hard time getting off and on. The parking just about killed me. I thought we got a good deal on the room but they get you on the parking! OMGosh $40 a day?? Wow, not valet, not in a luxury hotel on the wharf.... left me speechless. But - your there, you gonna argue or just pay? Check in was friendly and fast.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

To be honest, I’m confused about the title of the review and your comments regarding your fabulous view. In any case, all 500 rooms will not have the same view and the marketing team always uses the ones from the best suites, don’t they? Thank you for giving us a chance. I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed 5 nights.

POS:
Centrally located (bus stop and cable car stop very close), clean room, good service.
We got a 21th floor room facing Van Ness, although you can hear the street noise, the view is spectacular
6 quick elevators make your stay nicer, we never waited for it.
Front desk is very friendly and helpful
Nice breakfast buffet.
Complimentary WIFI

CON:
Housekeepers try to enter your room early in the morning (they start knocking even before 7.00) and keep knocking regularly, this is pretty annoying.
Expensive Parking ($ 40 plus tax)... but that's the city!

Overall very nice experience. Holiday Inn made our stay in San Francisco more enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Fabi Z

Thank you for listing both pros and cons for our hotel. It provides us a good balance of knowing what is going well and what needs improvement. I’m thrilled that we helped make your stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Clean and centrally located Hotel in San Francisco. Helpful guest advisor who managed to fix tickets to Alcatraz with few Days notice (package with round trip bus. Good breakfast and nice view from room (we stayed at 18th floor).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

We sure appreciate your visit. The Concierge (Guest Advisor) will be thrilled to hear that everything worked out well for you. Take care.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights as part of a tour. The location is good very easy to get on tram system to get around the city. The rooms are large and very clean. Wifi in all rooms but it could cut out at times. Large flat screen TV's in the room, hair dryer and very comfortable beds and pillows. Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pat N

Thank you for your recommendation. Guest referrals are important to us. Hopefully your tour group will return soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have stayed a few times the first time they send me to my room while it was being cleaned. I went back to the front desk and told the person that gave me my key it was not ready but I don't mind waiting. I waited and got my room later. A few hours later I was woken up by house keeping who opens my door and walked in. I called downstairs and complained about it. Later the house keeper was outside the sam De floor and saw me walking out of my room and apologized. Two weeks later I checked in and a couple of hours later same thing happened. House keeper opened my door and entered my room. This time I called to speak to the manager the operator keep transferring me to a non working number. After several try I gave up and hang up. A few minutes later someone called me and ask what happened. I told him instead of apologizing he keeps giving me excuse after excuse why she opened my door and entered in to my room. Which don't make any sense to me. I told him they should have the room numbers that needs to be cleaned instead of opening and checking everyone's room. I work day or night when I get in to my room I need to rest. This incident have disrupted my rest time finally I almost missed my ride because they don't forgot to call me to wake me up when I really needed to be woken up as I requested it. They have the worst customer service and they pretend to be a manager and talk to you as if they are one when they are not. It is terrible
...

• Stayed: July 2014

This is unpleasant news. It sounds like every attempt failed. Not much more can be said about your experience, other than we clearly have much to improve on. Thank you for taking some extra time to share this with me.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here two days and we had a good night sleep, maybe the noise of the street can be a minus....but that the only thing.
Good breakdfast and nice and helpfull staff, the hotel is located well and busstop and cablecar nearby.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

I look forward to sharing your comments with our kitchen staff. They have worked hard to improve the selection and quality. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Stayed here for a week on business. The location was convenient and the accommodations were decent. Like most of the larger San Francisco hotels, it was more than a bit expensive for my taste. That's just the cost of doing business in the City. I was most impressed by the attentive and friendly staffing at all levels -- from maintenance and housekeeping all the way to the front desk. You just don't find that many pleasant people by chance -- this reflects a good management philosophy and effective personnel training.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ru P, Manager at Holiday Inn San Francisco Golden Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Your review is music to our ears. The staff here are truly fantastic and care a great deal about their hotel and guests. Training is ongoing, but you can’t create friendly personnel through training. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.