“Love the hotel”

Ranked #52 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Cruz, California
“Love the hotel”
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I loved the location and set up of this hotel. Nicely appointed rooms. Valet cheaper than most. I can say that everyone on staff except for one member who didn't belong there was excellent and kind. Very sad to say I had an issue with a staff member, I believe his name was Lonnie. I walked in and got in line. I looked at Lonnie and he didn't acknowledge me so I waited in line. Another couple came in and he looked at them and said "I can help u over here", passed me right over. When the people in front of me were done I was pretty upset and let the other front desk woman now helping me know what happened. She apologized offered free breakfast the next morning got my room together and calmed me down very professionally; she had excellent customer service skills. As she's finishing up with us Lonnie decides to walk over and state to me that the couple had been there first. In disbelief of his audacity and not wanting to deal with him I said that's not what happened and proceeded toward the elevator. He then called out that I should have been paying attention. At which point my husband became very upset at the unbelievable situation and asked for the manager, whom went in the elevator with us and did the best she could to calm us down, as we were rather upset. She later reviewed the incident and talked to her staff member and corrected it on our side by comping a free night, which was very nice. We did not see that staff member again for the remainder of our stay and it was a very pleasant rest of the stay. Everyone else that worked there was so nice and professional. This is a very nice hotel and they have excellent staff, just watch out for the one bad seed.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank aninem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Maryville, TN, USA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Very clean and hospitable hotel. Quiet & spacious room. Just what we've come to expect from Courtyard. All the staff that we encountered were gracious, friendly & helpful. Special front desk standouts were Josephine, who took us to several rooms to help us choose the best one, Jaamie & Loni.

Very convenient, within walking distance to everything on Fisherman's Wharf, even a city bus tour stop just around the corner.

Parking was valet only, but was nearly the same cost as the crowded public parking garage next door. We found it very convenient.

Only negative we found was that the WiFi system was very unstable in our room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Choose courtyard side, away from the "alley" by the parking garage & away from street...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DanandMax
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The hotel is just a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. Parking is available in a public car park next to the hotel. Very warm welcome on arrival and every time we got back from a day's sightseeing, which was a nice touch. Rooms are spacious and clean. Would recommend if looking for a hotel close to Fisherman's Wharf and not too costly

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Simon C
Australian
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights at the start of May(2014) Very nice hotel, extremely clean, and super friendly staff who greated us with a smile everyday, and welcomed our return each day. Excellent location close to everything. Will be returning next year. Thanks :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AustralianNotawinger
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was in SF for the Cisco live conference 2014 with my colleagues, unfortunately we couldn't get a nice hotel close to the Moscone center because we registered late.
We checked into the Courtyard by Marriott Fisherman's Wharf based on positive reviews from Tripadvisor and we weren't disappointed.

The hotel is outstanding for friendliness and close to good location by the Wharf, there are some negative concerns I have which if corrected will perfect the rating.
1. There is no provision for tea drinkers by the hotel, they only made provision for coffee which is not encouraging as choices are limited also there is no complimentary bottle water.
2. The coffee maker is located in the bathroom, very close to the sink. I was scared to use any thing from the coffee tray as I can imagine brushing my teeth and the water splashing on the mugs and coffee maker.
3. The Bristo is not available 24hrs so if you need anything after 7pm you have to go outside the premises.

Overall experience was 80%.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ACD25122011
Yuba City, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Let's start with the prospective that I travel for a living.

Prior to this stay, my wife and I last stayed at that specific Courtyard about a year ago. My wife noted on that occasion (and I concurred) that the staff in general - but particularly the front desk - was "short tempered" and treated me as a returning guest "somewhat coldly." I wrote it off as a one-time problem.

On this visit, we arrived mid-afternoon. There was no one else in the lobby. All was quite. The gentleman at the front desk and a woman off at a side desk presented a demeanor that said "The customer is an intrusion to my day." Perhaps they were having a bad day; however, because they are the first and primary "face" of Marriott - they are not allowed that lapse - particularly since I experienced the same indifferent customer greeting when I stayed "there" last.

As management I would wish to look into the staff culture of “that” Marriott and ferret out the root cause. Management may also wish to note that at that price point, staff apparently saw no need to upsell or even engage for that matter - not even to ask for my Marriott's number or ask if I wanted to participate in Marriott programs. As I write, I am uncertain whether that location has a fitness room, pool, or even internet - staff never mentioned any of these ietms.

Upside: the parking attendants were marvelous! Great interaction and service.

Having stayed "there" and other Marriott’s on multiple occasions, the pricey $309 per night was a bit over the top when accompanied by such a chilling reception. Considering that after a $45 room tax, $40 for parking, misc. other taxes and a single candy bar - we netted out for a single night at $400, this repeated poor reception is just unacceptable.

Coupled with a decidedly average room, just a king bed and nothing more, (granted a great location for walking the Wharf) I will be booking elsewhere on my future trips to the Bay. The Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express are priced about 10% less on a given day, rooms and locations are comparable, and I don't get treated like my $400 is an intrusion to staff's day.

My recommendation to others would be to steer clear of "that" Marriott. Stay somewhere along the trolley line, save 10-20% for a comparable or better room - and avoid the "chill" of "that" Marriott.

Mark Twain paraphrased: “The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer stay at the SF Marriott.”

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbadosdad
julia c, General Manager at Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced in respect to the service at the Courtyard Marriott, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. unfortunately, we did not meet your or our own expectations.
We have taken steps to ensure the individual involved understands our service standards by connecting with our guests and genuinely making them feel welcomed. In addtion understanding the importance of acknowledeing your Marriott Reward Elite status.
We deeply value your relationship and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact us to discuss further.
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We didn't want to rent a car, so tried to find a hotel that was within walking distance or on the F-line (trolley cars). This was a perfect place for us, seniors who don't like to walk up and back the hills. This was a typical Courtyard, nothing special, except the mgr, Julia and all her staff. The only problem here, was trying to find a fast food restaurant open before 7 am for breakfast - did not want to eat much before we took our tour on Alkatraz

Dennys, Walgreens, liquor store(is around the courners and Safeway is a . short walk away.

We were very pleased with the communications with the mgr. Julia, before we arrived, and had no problems at a..

If you don't have a rental car and can walk short distances, this is a great place to be.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, we are seniors and don't sleep well, and messed up with the time change, n...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple