“Great location for 1st trip to SF”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #56 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Great location for 1st trip to SF”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Clean, good amenities, and very well-located for our first trip to SF! Very nice concierge.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Came here with siblings, respective spouses, and parents for a relative's wedding. 20 min cab ride to airport, walk to fisherman's wharf and downtown. We upgraded to regency club where we all had breakfast and pre-dinner snacks and drinks. Rooms were gorgeous with big tubs and nice beds. Hotel bar is fun.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Every form of public transportation as soon as you step out the door! I mean taxi, street car, cable car, or BART. If you feel like walking the Ferry Building is just a couple of minutes from the hotel. We didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on the food or service. Our bed was a comfortable as any I have slept in. The Atrium was very impressive looking with strings of lights hanging from the ceiling from about the the sixth or seventh floor. Concierge was helpful in recommending a tour company to use. Also I left an item behind and the hotel staff was very helpful in getting it to me at my next destination, via FedEx.
I would stay here on a future trip to San Francisco.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank pjmurph
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Stayed 3 nights recently at the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Was lucky enough to have been upgraded to a balcony bayview room. These have a sideways view out over the embarcadero, wharves and the bay. It was very relaxing to sit outside in the late afternoon and watch all the sailboats cruising around San Francisco Bay.
Check in was fast and efficient, and we were allowed to check-in a couple hours early without a hassle. The King room we were given had a nice foyer area, and a decent sized closet which contained a safe. The bathroom was on the small side, but there is good water pressure and plenty of hot water when you need it. The rooms also contain a nice chair with ottoman, though you cannot view the TV from this chair, at least in the King rooms.
My only complaint about the hotel is that the public spaces have not been kept up as they once were. There no longer is much indoor greenery in the lobby, and they have taken out the ivys that once hung from the indoor balconies which softened sound in the cavernous atruim lobby. This causes conversations and music from the bar to echo up to the room levels. Also, the separate lobby bar, 13 Views, has been closed, the bar is now integrated into the restaurant..They had good service, but not the most interesting place to entertain friends. It looked like the lunch and dinner menus at the restaurant are pretty limited these days as well. Budget cuts due to the econmy I suppose.
The best reason to stay at this hotel is the plethora of transportation options you have at your doorstep. The California St. Cable Car begins directly in front, and does not suffer from the awful lines found at the Union Square turnaround. The Embarcadero Bart and MUNI Metro stations are also just steps outside the front doors, putting you within easy reach of many places. Then you have the F Streetcar Line running in front of the hotel on Market Street, which can speedily take you to Fisherman's Wharf in one direction, and the Castro in the other. To top it off, taxis always seemed easy to find, even at rush hours.
Overall, the Hyatt Regency is a great place to stay if you enjoy the bayfront, and want to be away from the crowds that throng Union Square on weekends.

Room Tip: Rooms along the north side all have either balconies or bayviews
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed there for a week with my family. I booked this hotel to revive my old memories of SF and especially this hotel from 33 years ago. The staff were extremely helpful and they did help us when we had any concerns. On the third day of our stay my family all felt bad and I thought it was because of the room. I went to the reception at 3AM and they changed our room to a better one immediately. This shows that the service is great. The room rate included breakfast for two and they offered us two more breakfast at half price for our grown up kids and the breakfast was really good especially during the weekends. The hotel was supposed to charge for internet service and because of that I did not registered for it when I booked the hotel. By check in I asked for internet and they offered it to me free of charge. You just need to ask and they will offer it for free. The hotel does not have a parking, just a very expensive valet service ($57). But you can park next door for $12 if you plan to park the car only for the night, but all the parking in the vicinity area close at around 11PM. Overall I rate this hotel as a good hotel, but I would also consider the hotels around Union Square as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

After being promised two queens and two roll away beds in each of the four rooms, we arrived and only found one king bed in each. They refused to do anything for us. None of the 4 room cards they gave us worked. The maintenance man who came to look at the card reader(after 3 rounds of new cards) accused us of breaking the machine. Their only reccommendation? Just have one person stay in the room at all times.

Then we find there are holes in the bathroom door. Classy.

Each and every time we look for a small bit of customer service we only receive rude comments from all levels of staff. Do not stay at the Hyatt Regency in San Francisco. They are a wholly unprofessional organization and a wretched place to stay to boot.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank MikePerrault
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Hotel is nice and in a great location. if we had paid the base rate for the basic room it would have been ideal. We upgraded to a balcony regency club room. When we got to our room, it was small and basic. I actually thought for a second that were given the wrong room. The bathroom has no fan so expect a super humid room after you shower. Bathroom was basic but clean. The problem I had was the keys and the elevators. Our key took about ten to fifteen swipes before it worked each time. We dreaded going to our room! The elevators took forever and required us to swipe to get to our floor and guess what? That didn't swipe well. We weren't the only ones though. The elevator was full of people trying to get their cards to work. Very annoying. We asked for a new key but that still didn't work. The regency club was ok. I'm using the free internet to write this. Balcony on our room was not impressive. We got a corner room and could barely see the water. Like I said, had I not upgraded for an additional $500 I would have been happy.

• Stayed September 2011