“Conveniently located business hotel with friendly staff”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #47 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a week while working from San Francisco. If you're visiting as a tourist or for work, it's location can't be beat - across from the Embarcadero Ferry Building, on top of the BART Market Street Station, and in the heart of the Financial District. The staff is exceptional and incredibly friendly.

The rooms are comfortable and I spent a lovely morning working from my room on Market Street with the windows open and a nice breeze coming in from the Bay.

The major downside has been that their electronic systems seem to be a huge mess. When I arrived, they only had my reservation for one night and then we found that part of my reservation was held under another person's name. Additionally, my boyfriend's credit card was charged for a night even though he was not with me, I had not booked with his card, and when I visited the front desk they couldn't see that there was a charge to his card associated with my account.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Market Street. The views are better than Drumm Street and on a nice day, you can o...

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here on the last leg of a Californian road trip for our Honeymoon. On arrival we were greeted by Alan on reception, he was fantastic and recommended we upgrade to the Regency Club, which gives you a room upgrade to the 17th floor and access to the Regency Club, a panoramic viewing area on the top of the hotel. The room, although very small, was well equipped. The patio doors opened up onto a balcony overlooking the bay and ferry building. Overall we found the room to be very quiet. The location was perfect, easy to get to Fisherman's Wharf to see the tourist attractions and Alcatraz by the street cars which stopped outside the hotel and to go towards Union Square for the shops. Much preferred to stay here than in Fisherman's Wharf.

Breakfast and hors d'oeuvres were served every day in the Regency Club (part of the upgrade package for $75 a night), this was brilliant, the breakfast selection was very good and the hors d'oeuvres were different every evening, and we did not need to eat for the rest of the evening so was definitely value for money!

We would not hesitate to recommend to others.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Regency Club!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Clare T,

Wow! Thanks so much for your review and congratulations on your special occasion! We are glad you enjoyed the Regency Club room and the food and beverage presentation offered at the Regency Club Lounge! I must agree with you the view from the lounge is definitely worth the money. It is great to hear you had a fun time exploring all of the San Francisco attractions nearby. We truly appreciate your compliment and will definitely share your review with the team! Please come back and see us again soon!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 24 May 2014

In the middle of everything, this Hyatt is awesome, I checked in at 7.30 am and room was made available. I could not hope for it at any other hotel! Everything was great, food, view, location. cable car stops right next to the hotel, and ferry building is around the corner. A lot of public transportation stops next to the hotel, including Bart and street car to Castro and Fisherman's Wharf.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review! We thrive to offer our guests a smooth check in experience and glad that your room was ready early in the morning. Sounds like you had a fantastic time exploring the Embarcadero neighborhood and nearby attractions! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 May 2014

If you want to visit San Francisco then the Hyatt Regency is a great choice. It is located on Market street and next to the Embarcadero. The Ferry building is right across the street if you want to visit the farmers market or take a Ferry over to Sausalito. The Embarcadero BART stop is right in front of the entrance to the hotel and there is a Trolley car that starts in front of the hotel as well. This is a great location for shopping, business, or sightseeing. The hotel itself is quite impressive. The lobby (if you can call it that) is absolutely massive and makes it one of the more memorable hotels you will visit. Our room had been recently updated and was very clean as was the hotel in general. The service was also terrific. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Market Street is a noisy street. I would not recommend a room on the first few floors that faces Ma...
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is handily located for the main shopping area, Historic trams, China town and the harbour front (Pier 39 is about 20 to 30 minutes walk or you could catch the frequent trams).

The hotel reception and bar area is large, open and impressive, however the room (standard) was a little dark ..... due to the size / location of the window.

I also thought that having to pay for wifi, even in the reception area, was a little disappointing.

The All In breakfast was very pleasant.

Also if you are planning on visiting the baseball at AT&T Park the tram and walk time is similar to that of Pier 39 ........but in the opposite direction.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed at this property over the weekend and it is simply fantastic. A visited this hotel 20 years ago and so was unsure if the quality of the hotel would still be up to par. But to my delight the hotel had not deteriorated at all, but truly exceeded all my expectations. I read a lot of reviews on this hotel before I booked it last week and was very afraid of some of the bad stories I read. I must say honestly I did not have any of that experience . I'm a platinum member and stayed on the 17th floor the beds were fabulous there was no road noise and the Regency club is absolutely breathtaking definitely do not miss. I also experienced the great service you always expect from Hyatt. My son stayed on the seventh floor and still had the same experience. They're still doing construction out front of the building but they have the logistics worked out so it's not really any trouble. I can say the valet parking was very pricey at around $65 a night but that's probably to be expected anywhere in San Francisco. I would highly recommend this hotel and just say to you, that if you're considering this hotel don't be scared off by the poor reviews you may read now and then. Some people are never happy with anything but this hotel has plenty to rave about and is just simply a great hotel.

Room Tip: The regency club is definitely worth the upgrade cost.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review and for coming back after 20 years! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to hear our products and services exceeded your expectations! Your recommendation is our biggest compliment. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Warm regards,
Tiffany

Reviewed 19 May 2014

First- let me start by saying I totally spoiled myself by staying at the Fairmont San Francisco for the 1st night of our 3 night San Fran stay...had I not stayed there, my review may be a little better.

The location is amazing. Right across from the Ferry Building, and a trolley car runs right in front of the hotel. Other than that, there wasn't too much I liked about this property. It is huge (I think 18 floors?), overly modern, very loud, and the walls are paper thin. During our first night, the people next door to our room got back around 2-3am, started having a conversation, and you could hear every word. It made for an exhausting next day with little sleep from the night before.

The rooms are spacious, but the bathroom is TINY! You literally have to almost step in the tub to get the door closed without it touching you first.

The restaurant where breakfast is served in the morning has a limited staff, who are handling far more tables than they probably should. Every morning there was a huge line to be seated (you could wait up to 15 mins to get a table) and some of the staff was even taking pictures of the line...probably to show thier manager to prove a point that more staff is needed during the breakfast time....especially when you have regular guests and 2 Trafalgar Tours trying to get breakfast at the same time.

And if you are NOT on a tour, and need to eat breakfast....don't eat at the hotel....it was almost $30pp with drink and gratuity for breakfast....ridiculous! Go spend some time on the warf, or at a local restaurant instead of wasting money on an overpriced breakfast just because it's right in your hotel.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs- even if you are not usually a light sleeper.