“A week at the Embarcadero Regency”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #52 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
“A week at the Embarcadero Regency”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, inside and out. The ferry building is across the street and many sites are close by. Instead of paying the $64 a day parking, I suggest parking at Embarcadero 3 for $33 a day. It is across the street. Wifi is $10 a day. (Since I was there for a conference, they waived the fee.) The room was typical size, not small, not huge. Beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom is pretty small, with a black floor, suppose that's why housekeeping didn't see the yuck that was left from a former occupant. The room had a frig., coffee maker with Starbucks coffee, large flat screen, no blow dryer, (they do have a list of available items you may request if needed). Definitely can hear ALL of the city sounds from the 11th floor. They did host our conference very well! Conference rooms were comfortable, restrooms were clean, food was good, and servers were very nice!

• Stayed June 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I got lost in San Francisco and god bless this staff! i cant remember the name of the staff that helped me to call my family to a celphone, but i think he was from concierge, he was latin and spanish spoken!

The lobby of this hotel is AWESOME!! The had a replica of the alcatraz cell and the roof of the looby its the rooms hallway in a form of a pyramid! i was very amazed of the way you see the lobby roof!

i did not get to see the rooms but it think having this kind of staffs this hotel one of its kind!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank John M
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review! Great to hear our Concierge staff was able to assist you and reunited with your family. Hope you will be able to stay with us next time when you visit San Francisco again!
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Can't beat the location of the San Francisco Hyatt, just opposite the San Francisco Ferry Building on the Embarcadero. Was fortunate to be here on a weekend and walked out to see street vendors plying their trade as they do during the summer months. Room was comfortable, updated and clean. Have come to expect little else from Hyatt. Keep in mind that parking is in the adjacent 2 Embarcadero garage and will run you $64/day. A very short walk through a promenade to the adjoining Hyatt hotel. Dissappointed that Internet access is charged on a daily basis. Have stayed in a number of Hyatt's and found this to be the first that charges - or at least charges and does not refund Gold Passport members. Only complaint though. Was a short overnight stay so didn't try restaurants or other hotel amenities. Staff generally very friendly and attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room, other rooms don't offer much to look at. However it is a bit of a walk...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A friend and I stayed here on business for a conference. We found the amenities to be very comfortable and satisfying. There is wifi offered in the hotel; however, it costs $10 per night.
As far as location goes - it is directly adjacent to the ferry building which is AWESOME. Foodie mecca offering anything and everything. Also right across the street from a walgreens which was convenient. If you're looking to be close to the pier/touristy stuff I would recommend the Hyatt at Fisherman's wharf as the Regency is a bit of a walk from the active piers.
This hotel was right near many muni options (public transportation) and we chose to walk to union square for nightlife and shopping. (approx half an hour)
I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to be near the muni - you can basically get anywhere good in SF from this hotel!

Room Tip: We stayed on the fourth floor and didn't hear a thing!
Green Features: Recycling bins were offered in the hallways, definitely environmentally friendly!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Pros: Across the street from the Ferry building.

Cons:
1. Front desk service is awful. I prepaid for 2 rooms and one of our assigned rooms ended up being occupied. I politely asked Amy at the front desk what we should do, and she just frowned and said, "That room should be empty." Then she proceeded to stare blankly at me.
Finally, I asked her what we could do about it, and she said, "I'll call you when that room becomes available."
Are you kidding me?! It's 3:30, and check out is at noon, and the people have their clothes and bags strewn about the room, AND they are not even there! I asked Amy what if those people don't leave tonight?"
Amy: "Oh, they'll leave."
Me: "what if they don't leave till 7 or 8?"
Amy scoffing: "Oh, don't worry, they'll definitely be gone by then."

No apologies, and she resisted our request to assign us another room by saying the hotel was booked. Finally, after 4 trips, my family got our second room, which we PREPAID and booked weeks ahead.

2. The rooms are outdated and dirty. See my pics, as they speak for themselves.

3. Probably a 1/3 chance your view will be of a dirty old apartment, psychic, and Taco Bell.

4. Located in the financial district, so on weekdays, it will take you 20 minutes to drive 3 blocks due to congestion.

5. Construction right now, so aside from sirens and homeless people making noise all night, it's loud all day too. We were on the 10th floor and it was very loud.

Will never stay here again. Mostly due to the rude front desk service.

Stayed June 2014
6 Thank EdBhere
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I've stayed in this hotel many times over the years for business but most recently with family. This hotel is perfectly located across from the Ferry Terminal, Pier 1 and the Embarcadero Center. It is within a brisk walk of Fisherman's Wharf, at the base of Market and California Streets where you can catch a cable car to China Town and within a brisk walk of Union Square.

We checked in on a Thursday evening and were upgraded to a Bay view room with a small patio. It was fantastic. The room was clean and well furnished with plenty of outlets to charge our boatload of electronics. The highlight of the hotel is the Atrium where you can sit for a drink and admire the 14 floor vaulted ceiling and curtains of lights. Great people watching. The staff are very accommodating and friendly. Notwithstanding the issues below, I would count this hotel among my favorite in the City by the Bay.

The downsides are there though:

1) It's very expensive. We found a rate of $287/night and with tax it was well over $300. Sure, San Francisco is an expensive town but I feel that the hotels have gone overboard.

2) Parking is ridiculously expensive. They wanted $64/night for valet parking or as I did, opted in for parking across the street in Embarcadero 3 for $33/night. Suggest you leave the car behind and use public transit.

3) Breakfast in the Atrium is expensive and mediocre. We had stayed at a Hilton property in Sonoma for 1/3 the price and it included breakfast which was fantastic. The Hyatt Regency breakfast buffet is not worth the money. They don't even do omelettes or custom eggs as part of the $23.95 price. The waffles were brittle, the eggs dry and the choices uninspiring.

The Internet was not included in the room. C'mon folks. It's 2014. Most hotels provide free Internet in the US. For $287/night, you should too. What's next, you going to charge me for towels?

5) There are lots of street people nearby so shopping at the adjacent shops is always accompanied by hassles from pan handlers, mentally disturbed street people and bums. We actually witnessed a mugging during our stay!

In summary, if you can afford it, this is a great hotel in which to camp when you visit San Francisco. But book early, because their 802 rooms frequently fill up with conventioneers.

Room Tip: If you can get a room with a Bay View Patio, you will have a nice place to have coffee in the mornin...
Green Features: I don't subscribe to "environmentally friendly" hotel policies. I pay for clean towels and it worries me that somebody's dirty towel might somehow find it's way back on the rack.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
TiffanyLKT, Manager at Hyatt Regency San Francisco, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are delighted you find our waterfront location ideal for sightseeing and close to many San Francisco attractions. Great to hear you enjoyed the bay view from your room and the additional electrical outlets are sufficient for your electronics devices.

Our pricing is comparable to other four-diamond hotels in the area, and we feel we provide good value but clearly this was not your experience and for that I am very sorry. I have shared your comments with my management team for review.

Your business is truly appreciated and we hope you will come back and visit us in the future.
Best regards,
Tiffany
Fort Pierce, FL
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Before embarking on a bus tour, my husband & I stayed here for 3 days. Upon check-in, we were offered an upgrade for $40. extra and we accepted. We had a lovely balcony with chairs and table partially overlooking the water on the 26th floor. The bed was super comfy with great pillows. They offered an amenity card for a great deal of products you might need including slippers. You could also borrow a great, soft robe (not the heavy terry cloth). You just had to call and what ever you needed was delivered quickly to your door. all the staff was very helpful and friendly. The bathroom was roomy and had a makeup mirror for us ladies. Although the breakfast buffet was pricey, it offered plenty of options. They even had gluten-free scones. What a treat. Upon attending the welcome dinner for our trip, the only meal options were pasta and pizza. My husband asked the manager if they had any fruit, but he replied no--only in the dining room. Not too long afterward, the same manager arrived at our table with a lovely large assortment of fruit for me. So thoughtful and I didn't have to go hungry and could join the others in having dinner. The location is super. Right across the street from the Ferry Bldg. with a trolley stop and next door to a cable car terminus. The Embarcadero Mall is on the other side where you can find shopping and eateries. I would definitely recommend staying here and would do so again when in SF.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for an upgrade especially on an upper floor to avoid street noise and have...
Green Features: They have separate recycling bins for waste and ask that you use towels more than once.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple