“Pay for an upgrade - it is worth it!”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #49 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Pay for an upgrade - it is worth it!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have always felt a little mixed about this hotel. I have had some excellent experiences, and some 'not quite on the radar' experiences. For sure, the location is superb, and the lobby is certainly striking. Ultimately I do think the flooring could do with a facelift, but that is personal opinion and a minor consideration when presented with so many things to look at and enjoy (we were a little perplexed by what looks like price labels at the bottom of each of the string of lights - I am sure it is something to do with code). On this occasion however, I had exemplary service, the most wonderful full bay view room, and made use of the club level amenities. The food served was so much better than I was expecting, and the views are spectacular.
Back to my room, or rather my suite! I am now able to confirm that a regular room in this hotel is poles apart from a bay view suite. What a pleasure it was to wake up to the light shining in and the bridge winking hello as the sun hit and reflected upon it. I know there are renovated rooms on the upper level floors that have similar decor and balconies which are also wonderful.
There is parking nearby which is certainly cheaper than valet, ($33.00 for the day/night which is almost half the valet price). All in all, I can say for this trip at least, I would most certainly recommend this Hyatt Regency for your stay in San Francisco!

Room Tip: I really would recommend upgrading and asking for a more recently renovated room (new colors have mo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Abbe L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (884)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cupertino, California
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

As always I book flights and hotel on hipmunk.com due to amazing convenience and time saved (try it!!) however this time it was the hotel of choice of a local conference I attended. At first the room felt spartan, but it grew on my wife and I over 5 days. We had an external balcony and bay view on the 11th floor. The internal atrium design of this place is stunning so I even enjoyed walking from my room to the elevator. Service is friendly and excellent. Everything you need is close by. I always travel with earplugs for night noise from open doors or air conditioning units and this also was the case here. Our Hornblower cruise trip under the GG Bridge is worth it. I cruised the Boston Harbor in June and there is no comparison.

• Stayed August 2014
YYC
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Superb location. However the single pane windows are very good at letting street noise into your room. Room doors actually do a much better job at filtering noise from the atrium.

Breakfast buffet is not worth it. Especially in view of what is around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was clean and nice. The rooms were large and the view from the 15th floor was beautiful, if you could see through all the fog. :). You can't do any better on location, it was close to everything. My only complaint is why don't high-end hotels have fabulous beds? I expect more for the price and the bed was average at best.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 August 2014

good hotel in a very central location. have been here many times. service is only okay - lot of room for improvement. plenty of parking at embarcardo center. the partial bay view window tends to be in the corner of the room - was disappointed. odd shaped rooms with okay views, unless you pay more to upgrade to a full bay view room.

Room Tip: lots of partial bay view room here, since every room pretty much has a 15% embarcadro facing window.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed here for the SF Marathon weekend. When we checked in, we were asked if we wanted to pay extra for a view of the bridge. I paid thinking it would be well worth it. I didn't realize, however, that paying extra meant also that we would be on the street side of the hotel. We stayed on the 14th floor, and you would think that our room would be high enough to be quiet and relaxing . . . it defintiely wasn't. We had a sound machine in our room, and obviously the hotel had it there for a reason. But even on high volume, sounds of ocean waves or rain could not drown out the traffic noise or the jackhammers from the construction going on. The day before the marathon, my plan was to stay in the room to rest up. Unfortunately, that was the same day hundreds of people showed up for a political protest. When I asked the front desk about the noise, I was told that the glass windows/doors are not sound proof and the noise is a common complaint . . . so my advice, ask for a room that is not next to the street and bring ear plugs (just in case)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Lisa S
long beach,ca
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We loved the location of this hotel. The cable car, Bart, trolley and buses right outside the front door. A 5 minute walk to the Ferry building. We were a bit disappointed that we didn't have a bay view just the street below and the rooftops. The service was very good, from house keeping, room service to the concierge. The rooms were well taken care of and clean. The Hyatt Grand beds are probably the most comfortable beds ever! It is more of a business Hotel but it accommodated our needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room. If not then up high.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family