“Expensive but central”

Hyatt Regency San Francisco
Ranked #49 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The high floor balcony rooms are nice albeit expensive and a strange layout with tiny bathrooms. And the hotel charges $10 per day for internet access. Great location for ferry building, cable car and trams.
The irony and sad situation is that San Franciscans are famed for championing human rights but have turned a blind eye to the human crisis of serious homelessness in their city, so the area around the hotel has many destitute people on the streets and the CBD stinks of stale urine.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for six nights for a conference. I had an 11th floor room that had nice views and was clean and comfortable. The lighting in the bathroom area was good, but the lighting in the main room was a bit dim for my taste. The bed was comfortable. As others have noted, noise is a problem here. I was surprised that my 11th floor room could hear a decent amount from the street. There are a lot of restaurants within a few blocks (and many beyond), and there is a BART stop directly outside the hotel, which is very convenient. You will see homeless in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, especially late at night.

I didn't eat at the hotel bar, but did have drinks a couple nights. It was a little pricey, but more or less the going rate for a hotel bar. The bartender was nice and attentive. The staff at registration were very cordial and helpful. The lobby is a sight to see.

Overall, I chose to stay here because I have a Hyatt credit card that made it advantageous to stay here. Without that, I'm not sure I could have afforded it. I did enjoy my stay here, however, and would stay again if I came back to San Francisco.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The king size room was amazing (as got upgraded for free) with a filter coffee machine, HUGE 50" ish tv, alarm clock, relaxing sounds generator and all of the other expected amenities. Staff were very polite and helpful and aside from being a bit pricey (it is 4-star) it was a great place to stay

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This is a very dramatic hotel inside. Rooms are comfortable and the views out the window are great assuming you have a view. Elevators are very cool as you can watch the interior of the hotel as you ride to your floor. A lot of demand for elevators so be prepared to wait.

It has a lot of rooms so you are not going to be lonely for someone to talk to anywhere. It's in a good location for the ferry building.

It was not cheap so better be on expense account.

Room Tip: Get up high and ask to see water.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This past Saturday and Sunday, we stayed at the waterfront Hyatt in San Francisco. Great location, beautiful property. Based on the price that we paid, I had to write a review on the little "nits" that bothered us about a hotel of this caliber.

Starbucks coffee in the room - Sunday morning - awesome! Too bad the maids didn't leave us any coffee or coffee cups for Monday morning (when we needed it due to a 5 am wake-up to go to the airport). Toilet paper - found the extra roll in the closet on Saturday night. Yay! Too bad that had to last us until Monday morning... We doubt that the room was vacuumed based on what was left on the carpet when we went out in the morning and came back and saw at the end of the day.

Wifi - seriously - when will properties like this stop charging you 10 bucks a day to provide the service?

Would we go back? It's really a toss-up.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JM D
Reviewed 12 August 2014

When I arrived, I asked if I could extend my stay an additional day. The desk clerk said they were full, but that there are frequently cancellations, and they would get back to me before the following morning. They did not. When I called in the morning, the desk clerk acted completely surprised, and knew nothing of the request. At one point during the day, a person knocked on my door, then immediately walked in; I didn't have time to even walk to the door to answer it. The person had come in to put a bottle of water on the desk, and actually walked past me to do so. At breakfast, the waiter slammed a cup of coffee in front of me to the point that it splashed on the table, and walked away. When he returned, I asked for milk and sugar, and he simply walked away. I mentioned all of this to the desk clerk in the morning, and she said that the manager would call me. About a half hour later, I get a call from the manager, who said "You wanted to speak to me?" This hotel has the feeling of everyone on staff being rushed and too busy. If you are looking for a $500 a night room, keep looking...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank JBrownCR
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed here as part of a conference. Arrived very late due to flight delay, and struggled to find reception! Dropped off by taxi around midnight and entered at street level, but no obvious signage. Asked a janitor who did not speak English. Eventually found reception and checked in. Tried to take one of the 'observation' lifts, but at night this operates by keycard, which didn't work! Also doors closed as trying to drag luggage in and lift went without me. Not what a guest needs after travelling for nearly 24 hours.
Had been allocated a room at the back of the hotel. No views except other buildings. Street noise went on most of the night, so sleep difficult. Had to request most items that used to be standard issue in 4 and 5* hotels (e.g. bath robe, slippers, teabags, etc.). Finally found the hairdryer which was hidden on a high shelf wrapped in a black bag!

Concierge absolutely great and very helpful. Location great. Useful fridge in the room meant that we could buy juice and milk and keep it cool.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends