“Understated elegance, friendly staff, outstanding service, perfect central location”
Review of Taj Campton Place

Ranked #4 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We have just returned from a road trip, traveling up the Californian coast finishing in San Francisco, to celebrate my 40th birthday. We booked it after reading a review on the oyster.com website (well worth a look!) We stayed in 5 different hotels and 1 villa, all of which were carefully chosen for their high quality. It was so interesting to see the differences in them all.

In summary, I would say that this is a well-located, elegant, high quality hotel with an emphasis on top-notch service and friendly, welcoming staff. This place is not about pomp and ceremony, ostentation or obsequiousness. It is about a welcoming, understated elegance. In my opinion, you will not be a pampered princess; you will be a welcomed friend.

A few details if you want them:

We booked a Campton one-bed suite. It was exactly the same in real life as the hotel pictures - just lovely, and spotlessly clean with good quality toiletries. Little mats were laid out with slippers on, even for the children. The suite was comfortably big enough for 4 of us although I think it would be perfect for a couple. Every evening the housekeepers converted the sofa to a bed (which was surprisingly comfortable) and every morning they changed it back, so we had a living room again.

We were on the 6th floor, in a corner room, with a partial view of Union Square and Macy's. Talk about perfect location for Union Square and it's shopping delights. Outside noise was much less that I expected for such a location. The only disruptive noise I experienced was from a rowdy bunch on the streets at around 2:00am.

The doorman is a great guy, and staff will always hold the door open for you if they are around but, they are often running around getting taxis, sorting out your luggage, valet parking etc. The Valet parking rate was about the same as we experienced in San Diego. The service was as prompt as is possible in an extremely busy city, with profuse apologies for any waiting time. On our last day, we phoned down in advance so that when we left, our car and luggage were waiting for us.

Check in was smooth. Everything was carefully explained. One of the lifts is being renovated but we never had to wait for the other one. It always came as soon as we pushed the button. They had no problems at all with extending our check out.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel, once in the dining room and 3 times in our room. Both experiences were fantastic in terms of service and quality. The menu is a little different, which makes a pleasant change when you’ve eaten in hotels for nearly 3 weeks. PB&J sandwiches on the dinner menu for the children! The concierge was really helpful, recommending a small Italian restaurant to us and immediately sorting out a reservation for us, persuading the restaurant to squeeze us in.

My husband had organized balloons and cake to be in the room when we arrived and there they were - the most enormous bunch of balloons and a divine chocolate cake beautifully presented: a happy birthday message was written in chocolate on a glass plate.

My only niggles? The cost of the internet connections. We knew we had to pay for the connection before we arrived, however, you are charged not for one connection, but for every device that is connected, for a 24 hour period. With 2 iPhones and an iPad over 4 days, that is pretty steep. We were told about it when we checked in so we were very careful. My advice would be to grab a coffee at Starbucks, which can only be a couple of buildings away, and use the free access there. I also thought the TV costs were a bit steep. There weren’t many normal TV channels and very few free programs - no daily dose of CSI or Disney for us, we always had to pay for the in room films. It would also have been nice to have a kettle for us British tea drinkers!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dee71_11
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2011

While we always appreciate hearing from our guests and reading the generally very complimentary reviews, I don't remember ever having received a critique a thorough as yours. Thank you for the thought and time you put into writing about us. I especially liked your phrase, "you will be a welcomed friend.” That is truly the way we feel about our guests and a great many of them return time after time to what they think of as their home in San Francisco. My only regret is that you did not let us know you would like to have had an electric kettle. We have them and that is one of the items listed in our in-room guest service directory as available though our housekeeping department. I would like apologize for your displeasure with the charge per item for internet connection. It's all about band width limitation--the more electronics being used at any one time, the less width there is for others. We are in the process of adding band width, but until then....
Again, please accept my thanks for your comments and our pleasure in being allowed to be a part of your birthday celebration.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel (small leading hotels of the world) is PERFECT (perfect location, perfect staff, best food). The service is just AMAZING.
I highly recommend this hotel for business or leisure (the shopping area is fantastic !)
Enjoy your stay :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BOUPAP

How wonderful to be thought to be PERFECT! We know we’re probably not quite that good, but we do try and it's truly a good feeling to learn we were successful in your case. And yes, we have to agree—we definitely have the best food! Thank you for spreading the word and we surely hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night on August 5, 2011. We pulled up and immediately, the doorman (who was incredibly friendly and helpful) helped us with our bags to the hotel. When we asked about a nearby parking garage (given the steep $50 overnight valet parking fee), he directed us to a garage literally up the street (Sutter Stockton Garage), which offers overnight parking for $26. So I would recommend dropping off any luggage at the hotel first, and then parking the car at the garage. The front desk was efficient and friendly, and offered us free bottled water upon check out (for our walk to the Giants-Phillies game!) They also let us store our bags there after checkout, which we picked up on returning from the game and picking up our car from the garage.

We went to a Giants-Phillies game the next day and walked there (about 15-20 minute walk) with easy directions from the doorman (I wish I remembered his name!) You are in Union Square so there is plenty to do - lots of restaurants, close to Chinatown, and tons of shopping.

The elevators are currently being renovated at the hotel so be prepared for somewhat longer waiting times than you may expect. I booked through Expedia and paid about $238 for the room (California Room with King Bed). The room had a comfortable king sized bed, one nightstand, a desk (next to the bed) with chair, an armchair, and combination TV stand (with flatscreen TV) and minibar. The minibar had a nespresso machine with good espresso "pods", two bottles of water (I think one is complimentary), snacks (potato chips, nuts, etc.) and minifridge with various juices, sodas, alcoholic beverages, etc. The linens were soft and good quality and the room was pleasantly furnished and decorated, albeit a bit small (but comfortable). The bathroom door was a frosted glass and wood sliding door, the bathroom itself was spacious and tastefully done. The shower had excellent water pressure, and the Molten Brown toiletries were great. There is also a nice "closet" wall with shelves, a safe, etc. on the opposite side of the bathroom. The room was very quiet except during the afternoon on the first day, when there was a protest/demonstration going on the next block over. They offer a choice of complimentary newspapers, delivered to your room in the morning (we opted for the NYT).

We have stayed at the Hotel Diva, and the Hotel California (next to Millenium restaurant) and would choose the Taj Compton again and over those other hotels. The service was fantastic and everyone was quietly competent and incredibly helpful. The hotel is on the smaller size and a lovely oasis in the city and ideally situated for many activities!

We also stayed the following three nights at Cavallo Point outside of Sausalito if you want to check out that review as well!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank starhawk
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2011

How can I thank you for such a complimentary and very well thought-out letter! You surely described our rooms and service well.

I do apologize about the wait for the elevator. The elevators are not only be renovated, but totally replaced—new cabling, new computer controls, new security system and refurbished cars. Each elevator takes approximately one month to complete, but when they are operational, our valued repeat guests will agree it was worth the temporary inconvenience.

We look forward to having you back with us soon.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We spent five nights at the hotel and it exceeded our expectations in nearly every regard.

We arrived very early and had to check our bags. However, within 15 minutes (around noon), they had a room available. Check in was easy, the staff were attentive and our bags were delivered quickly to our room.

The size of the room is consistent with what one would find in either San Francisco or New York. It was spotless and elegant as was the bathroom (which was large in size).

The morning housekeeping staff was finished by the time we returned from breakfast. The turndown service was completed by 5:00 p.m. each day. The housekeeping staff was always pleasant, responsive and eager to please.

We only had breakfast at the hotel restaurant (but understand that it is one of the finest restaurants in all of San Francisco) and the food was very good. The French Toast was delicious and they always had fresh-squeezed orange juice. Staff made you feel welcome at every turn.

The concierge was extremely knowledgeable about the area, the attractions and about restaurants. She gave us great information about logistical planning. She could not have been nicer.

We had a ridiculously early morning flight where we had to leave to hotel at 4:15 a.m. We arranged, with the hotel's assistance, to have food available to us by the time we left. There was no hesitation by the hotel to assist us. They confirmed the order and had it neatly packed and presented to us with a smile at 4:00 a.m. They took down our bags, contacted a taxi that would fit all of our luggage, and had it loaded right on time.

We only wish that every hotel was like the Campton. It enhanced our trip immensely. This is a luxury hotel with no attitude. They wanted our stay to be perfect and they did everything they could to make that happen.

This hotel is centrally located in Union Square, close to both Chinatown, North Beach and Yerba Buena. Public transportation and cabs are easily acceptable.

We would definitely return (and wish they had more hotels throughout the world).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PBBJFamily
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2011

You’re right--4:15 is truly a ridiculously early hour to have to leave and I am so happy we were able to help you get out intact and on time – and with “breakfast to go” as well. Thank you for your very kind comments about our hotel and especially about our service. There may be bigger and newer hotels in San Francisco, but our associates and their service is what sets Taj Campton Place apart. They truly enjoy being helpful and we think they are the best. We will look forward to your next trip here, but in the meantime, see if there isn’t a Taj hotel wherever you travel.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

After reading all the rave reviews about the Taj and it's service I thought I'd take a break from my usual stay at the RC ( a couple of blocks away) and spring for the Campton Place. I arrived a bit late on a Wednesday evening to find the place almost deserted. No "friendly greeting" doorman, and no one at front desk. A moment later as I was arranging for my room with the reception person, she made me feel like I'd interrupted something. Actually with the exception of Housekeeping, that is how all staff encounters went----like they were doing me a favor. For the low rate I found online, I was not surprised to have been assigned a postage stamp room on a lower floor. What I didn't expect was the paper thin walls and the outside street noise which went on all night. For close to $400, there are many better hotels nearby with much better service and accommodations. Now that I look back on TA and see the establishment's dismissive responses to negative reviews, they paint the same picture as my experience and I've learned to read between the lines. Maybe the "boutique" international crowd find this acceptable, give me good old California hospitality anytime. Like providing a glass of ice water or champagne upon arrival.

Room Tip: Pay the highest rate on the hotel's site
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank SouthBayJbone

I must ask that you please accept my sincere apologies for the poor reception you received during your recent visit. As you mentioned that you had looked over the previous TripAdvisor reviews, you must have noticed that the vast majority of them are most complimentary about our service and perhaps thought the service during your visit might not have been the norm? We truly do care about the experience of our guests and try very hard to provide a comfortable stay and every negative comment will demand an investigation into the complaint by the manager. We do assign rooms according to rate, but also to frequency and number of stays. When we are especially busy, as I suspect was the case when you were here, rates tend to be high and first-time guests who book the lowest category of room at the lowest price, will not be upgraded to better rooms as someone paying a better rate may be.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Taj Campton Place at the end of a long business trip. We were very pleased with most aspects of the hotel. The staff was very accomodating. The room was small but very well appointed and designed. And, the restaurant is spectacular. We had one of the finest lunches of the last two or three years there including a glass of very affordable and good sparkling wine. The location of the Taj Campton Place is almost perfect and the price is decent. Worth staying there just to get a priority seating in the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2015

Dear RCK52,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are looking forward to your future stays and appreciate your continued patronage.

Warm regards

Ashrafi Matcheswala
Tel: 4159555532
ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Simply put, the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel stay. Starting with the front desk (Fisshea was simply amazing - whatever he's paid it needs to be more) to the maintenance man who immediately came to our room to hoop up the ipod dock within minutes of a call to the front desk, to guest services to the concierge - everyone was extremely courteous, friendly, and professional. We checked in early (around 1pm), and not one but 3 rooms were available. Without asking, Fisshea took us up to see all 3 rooms to let us decide which one! I've never had this happen at any hotel before (I've stayed in several 4 and 5 star hotels). No request was met with the slightest hint of resistance; quite the opposite - every effort was made to make sure we were happy. Small things leave lasting impressions and matter. One afternoon as we returned to the hotel, Fisshea asked us if our 10 year old daughter like cookies because he wanted to have some brought up to her that evening (with milk, on silver of course). They were the best homemade chocolate chip cookies we've ever tasted! Every morning when we left the hotel we were greeted with smiles, "how was your night," "looking forward to today?" and similar greetings from the front desk to the doorman. It made us feel truly at home. This must be what travel used to be like, in the "golden" era. Its nice for our generation to experience that once in a while.

While smaller, the lobby is elegant without being overdone with a comfortable guest seating area. We heard great things about the restaurant, but did not try it due to the incredible food choices the city offers. The hotel is two adjoining hotels, one 6 or 7 (can't remember) stories tall and the other 12 stories. The upper floors (we stayed on the 9th floor) have only 4 quest rooms each. The hallways and room doors all give you the feeling of upscale city residential living. The rooms are fairly roomy for a city hotel and well-appointed with luxurious touches like a beautiful marble bathroom with luxurious towels and robes, wood paneling on the closet, in the foyer area and covering the bar closet, luxury carpets and bedding, Bose Wave radio, flat screen with HD channels and movies, etc. Complimentary water, nightly turndown service and similar expected services and items complete the picture.

We also enjoyed the well-stocked gym several times. Its a rooftop gym which means in the morning its a bit chilly, but it does have wind panels from the balcony edge to the bottom of the roof above so that helps. Its kind of cool to workout in the fresh air with a view of the city! The equipment is modern, in like-new condition, and there should be enough for most folks to get in a good (if not their typical) workout. If you are unsure about it, bring your workout gear - you won't be sorry!

To be fair, not everything in the hotel was perfect. One of the two elevators was being serviced and hence out of commission our entire 6 day stay (actually, we were told it was a 4-week upgrade process). However, it was never really a problem - we rarely had to wait more than a minute or two for the elevator. Plus, the hotel is only 12 stories so you might decide to take the stairs occasionally just for the exercise. The business center was likewise out of commision during our stay. No problem there, either. When we needed to get on the computer to print our board passes, Fisshea brought me back to the backoffice and put me on their office computer! The mark of a great hotel is when problems or inconveniences are minimized, even overlooked due to the overall superior quality and service.

The location of the Taj is a 10 - 1 block to the entrance to Chinatown, 1 block to Union Square with shopping all around, 2 blockes to Market Street and the Powell Street cable car turnaround. I can't think of better place to be in the city for exploring, shopping, sightseeing.

In short, the Taj was a perfect hotel for our vacation travel needs. Thank you to everyone there (especially Fisshea!) While the Taj is primarly an international chain, we will definitely look for opportunities to stay at another Taj hotel in our future travels (there's one in NY).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family