“Great Location for the December Holidays”
Review of Taj Campton Place

Taj Campton Place
Ranked #7 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“Great Location for the December Holidays”
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

The Taj is near Union Square which is a wonderful spot for ice skating, sipping coffee, and listening to street music. Lots of good shopping nearby. The hotel is overpriced and the rooms are nothing speicial; however, the beds are very comfortable. Staff are helpful and gracious. Be sure to avoid a room adjacent to the elevator, you will be up all night with the sounds and bells.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SanDiegoPaula
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 21 December 2012
Dear San Diego Paula,

I was happy to see you like our location, but distressed to read of your sleepless night and not happy to read of your disappointment in the room. As I do not know exactly what you paid, I can tell you our rates the first of December were high due to a conference in the city and I suspect your room was one of the last assigned as occasionally a guest will complain about elevator sounds in certain rooms. I hope you will give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Satl Lake City
Reviewed 4 December 2012

First of all, the hotel is very well located - just a block away from Union Sqaure. I've heard various reviews that the rooms were small ... we were in a corner room and perhaps that makes the difference, because it was a nice size with great views. The staff were all very friendly and courteous, food was prepared well (we just had breakfast) and the service was friendly and efficient. A standout was the young man (host?) in the restaurant (and I am embarrased to say I cannot remember his name: Shintan??) who was possibly one of the best staff members I have run across: always pleasant, extremely courteous, engaging and friendly, and always alert but not overbearing.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room - larger with of course good views.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ski-BikerBum
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for providing us with your feedback! We are so delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed the size of your room. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff, whom are always so appreciative when their service is recognized. Our restaurant received a Michelin star for the third year in a row; on your next visit you must join us for dinner! We look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to San Francisco!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2012

Recently my sister, husband and I stayed at this hotel. I booked a double room for three persons. When we arrived, we were informed that we were to share a king bed and if we wanted two beds we would have to upgrade at a cost of another 150.00 per night. Our upgraded room gave us a view of a cesspool at the top of a building next door and the wall of another hotel-3rd floor. The Business dictionary defines a double room as a room with two beds. This hotel also charges $12.50 per day for internet PER DEVICE. So if you have an IPAD and an IPHONE hyou will be paying $25.00 per 24 hours period for internet. This hotel is a giant RIP OFF and I would not recommend it.

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank bea154943
Dear bea154943,

I cannot tell you how much I regretted reading of your disappointment with your room rate. As I do not know your name so I cannot look up how you booked your room, i.e. expedia or another on-line service, or the rate you paid, it’s difficult for me to respond to your particular circumstance. However, if you booked the lowest category room, a California King, at the lowest possible price, a king bed room is what would have been assigned. These rooms are also not large enough to accommodate a rollaway. Our “double” rooms (with two double beds) are larger and are in the deluxe category which is $150 more than the standard California King room. Also suitable for three people are the deluxe king rooms that are generally large enough to accommodate a rollaway. If your room had been booked directly through the hotel, you would have been told of the different categories and different room configurations and been able to make a more informed decision as to which kind of room would have been most suitable for your situation.

In addition, we are a city hotel and few of our rooms are “view” rooms and are not advertised as such. Most city hotel rooms have views of the walls of other buildings unless the room is on a high floor (which generally also costs more) or the hotel is on top a hill. Further, as cesspools are not located on rooftops, I think it was unfair of you to categorize your view in that manner. May I suggest your “cesspool” was of the skylights of the very high end Wilkes-Bashford store in the building next door?

I am truly sorry you won’t be giving us an opportunity to demonstrate that we truly do provide the experience you had anticipated.
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

Third visit. The room was very small, and we did not have the lowest priced room.They charge $12.50 for Internet per day and $57 for parking per day. We found a parking lot on Post St for $32. A 10 minute walk.

But the big disappointment was the $100 amenity, that was part of our package. A bottle of wine and 4 small chocolates. The wine - Grayson Lot 10 Cab retails for $7.75. I don't think the chocolates cost $92. Really dumb on the Taj's part to advertise a package and then not follow through. Our package was to include the amenity.. Not a good deal and certainly not what was advertised and promised.

Service people were nice, especially the maids. Very sweet. But I just don't get this amenity issue.

Stayed November 2012
4 Thank Timkate
IvyNguyen, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear Timkate,

I am so sorry you were disappointed in your room. As a Virtuoso guest your upgrade is predicated on availability and apparently none was available when you were here. There were several times during November when we had high occupancy with only the lower category of rooms available. As a boutique hotel, our rooms tend to be on a smaller scale which we feel is more than compensated by the quality of the bath amenities and fine linens we provide.

Valet parking is more expensive than several of the nearby city lots, but it affords the convenience of not having to carry luggage several blocks, provides for daily in and out privileges as well as 24 hour security not available in lots where you park the car yourself. The charge for internet is standard in all luxury hotels in the city, but we do offer complimentary internet with our business package, which includes other valuable amenities as well, and free internet use in our business chamber.

You were correct that the Grayson was not a premium wine and we have since upgraded it to a more appropriate bottle. While the bonbons may not have been worth $92, they are very fine chocolates, made in our kitchen with the best chocolate on the market, and they do retail for $3 each.

We hope to have another opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality and we will hope to look forward to welcoming you back the next time you return to San Francisco.

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The restaurant, and the less expensive bar restaurant were excellent. The decor has a Asian elegance to it.

A few annoying nits...

#1. When we arrived the hotel clerk said our reservation had been cancelled. (What?)

I told her there must be a mistake because I had just checked it the day before!

But the female clerk kept shaking her head and telling me I was wrong. I didn't have a paper copy of my reservation and asked to login using my laptop to view my Booking.com account. However, the clerk said you have to be signed into a room to get internet access. Fortunately, my father-in-law was checking in at the same time and he let me use his account. I logged on, and showed the clerk the reservation I had made.
*Magically she then found our lost reservation.* I asked for an explanation but was given none. For the price of our stay, I would have greatly appreciated an apology for the time wasted and the super-aggravation.
#2 I asked for a room with a nice view. The clerk said they don't have any rooms with a view. Ours looked across at another hotel where you can see people very clearly in their rooms. Not the view I was looking for (see photo).
#3. Our stay was three days. I asked for a top sheet and blanket in addition to the duvet. By the third night, and after several phone calls, they finally got it right.
#4. They need to renovate the bathrooms. The combo tub-shower is very old and tricky to climb in and out of.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Dear FLJ-designer,
Please accept my apologies that the Front Desk clerk, who was as frustrated as you with the check in process, did not offer an apology or explanation. When reservations are booked through third parties, particularly on the internet, they do not always come through in a manner easy to access, i.e. they use a different coding system or do not always get names correctly. I don’t know what the problem was in your case, but I do apologize that you were caused the aggravation.
We are not known for our “rooms with a view” being located at the bottom of the hill, but also being conveniently located to Union Square, the Financial District and the Embarcadaro. If you could see people in the hotel across the street, you could also see part of Union Square, our view. City hotels often do not have views—that’s the nature of being in a city among other tall buildings.
There is no excuse for your request for a traditionally made up bed not to have been honored immediately, an obvious breakdown in communication between several departments and you may be sure the various managers have been taken to task for this lapse in service. This is not an unusual request and if you would care to get in touch with us, I will be sure your preference is put in your guest profile to be automatically provided on your next visit.
Thank you for having selected our hotel. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

1) no free wifi (unacceptable!!)
2) no coffee before 6 am
3) the staff is not so nice

The standard is not so high: it's not more than a normal 4 star hotel.
The rest was OK, but for that price I expect more!!!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Kappa U
Dear Kappa U,
I was so sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay. Our rates, like all hotels, fluctuate with the level of occupancy and as I do not know exactly when you were here, I cannot tell if your rate was higher than usual.
Regarding WiFi, you will find there is a charge in all luxury hotels in San Francisco and ours are in line with our competition. However, we do offer complimentary connectivity, along with other valuable amenities, with our Business Traveler package and in our business chamber as well.
I must take exception to your comment that there is no coffee before 6:00 a.m. We offer 24 hour in-room dining to our guests and coffee is available 24/7, in addition to espresso machines in every room and complimentary coffee in the bar from 6:30 – 9:00 a.m. Monday through Friday, and from 7 – 10 a.m. on weekends.
I truly regret you found our staff not as helpful or friendly they might have been. There is no excuse for a less than hospitable greeting, but as you were not specific as to what happened, I can only ask that you accept my sincere apologies and my hope that you were not inconvenienced by the lack of courtesy.
I hope we may have the opportunity to restore your confidence in our hospitality and to welcome you back the next time your plans bring you to San Francisco.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I've stayed at somewhere between 3000 and 4000 hotels worldwide. Some really cheap, some really expensive. One thing you can "feel" right away, as soon you enter the hotel, is the "care" the hotelier and owner take on their property. Starting with simple things like the location of the reception, followed by the how you are greeted (or not!) Then how the room is appointed. Does the layout make sense and so forth. The Taj Campton Place excels in all these attributes, and for me, that expression of care is very important. It is attention to detail, to the guest experience. It is much more than just have a comfy bed and working bathroom.

So what is the only drawback of this hotel. I could only find two. They charge for internet access. This really should be included. (Hotels don't charge extra for lights or warm water....) The regular TV programing was grainy analog channels and not the pristine digital HD channels I expect nowadays. But these are minor issues. So instead of watching TV I flip up my computer and watched a move from Netflix. In pristine digital HD.

Overall, a great experience, great location and service.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank psjofors
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this review, 14 December 2015
Dear psjofors,

Thank you for your excellent review. We now have 42 inch brand new TV's in all our rooms. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to your future stay with us.

Warm regards