“Outstanding in every way”
Review of Taj Campton Place

Taj Campton Place
Ranked #4 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been staying at the Taj Campton Place for many years. I travel extensively for business, and have stayed in hotels all over the world. The Taj is hands down, the best hotel I stay in regularly. The service here is impeccable. The staff is outstanding, and you would be hard pressed to find a better staff. Many of them have worked at this hotel for longer than I have been staying here. The location is outstanding. You have central access to Moscone, Chinatown, the Financial District, and easy trolley car access to tourist areas.

Some notes regarding other criticisms of this hotel on TripAdvisor:

Room Size - Are the rooms small? Yes, it is San Francisco. Rooms are all small in San Francisco. However, rooms have all amenities you would require for business or pleasure, and are not in any way "cramped". I've been in smaller rooms. I'm not sure why this is an issue at all.

Noise - Are there noises from outside? Yes, it is San Francisco. It is a busy city. This is one of the quietest hotels I've been in for a city hotel. This hotel is 1 block "off the beaten path" as it were. So, you are not subject to the main noise of Powell St. or Union Square. Noises that do occur don't come from inside the hotel. The businesses around the hotel aren't inherently noisy. I've never had issues with the nightclub nearby, as was suggested in other reviews.

Overall, I have always been happy at this hotel and still think it is one of the best.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2015

Dear MBMBtravel,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. I am delighted to inform you that we have been awarded a 2nd Michelin star for our Campton Place restaurant.

We look forward to your future visit to our hotel.

ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I spent a weekend in San Francisco and if you are looking to do the same I highly recommend this hotel. The location can't be beat, its right off Union Square and you can walk from here pretty much anywhere. The rooms are OK, nothing outrageously special but decent and owing to that location you don't want to be spending to much time in the room anyway. The bar is excellent and well stocked, I only had breakfast in the restaurant had I more time I would try the restaurant it looked excellent. The thing that makes this hotel special though is the service and the people everyone I have spoken to has been amazing. Oh and one final thing, it has a gym "terrace" basically a covered work out area thats on like a balcony type arrangement.... very cool!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 19 its furthest away from the elevators (both resident and service) and was really...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Ashrafi M, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Dear cwoodhead,

We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time with us at Taj Campton Place. It is an honor to us for you to consider hotel as one that you would recommend to your friends, and family. One of our greatest prides is our prime location off of San Francisco's Union Square.

Please do come back and try our restaurant! We would love to welcome you.

We look forward to hosting you again. Hopefully the next time that you come, the weather will be nice enough so that we don't have to keep the tent on the workout area off.

Warm Regards,
Ashrafi Mathcheswala

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel is fabulous and a great base from which to explore all that San Fran has to offer. My only complaint is that the room was a touch small (three of us sharing a double room) - but the bathroom was enormous and lovely.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rawlio

Dear Rawlio,

We look forward to your future visit to our hotel.

ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

The Taj is one of my favourite hotels in San Francisco. In my view, it had the most comfortable beds and the most comfortable bath robes of any of its peers. This more than makes up for the petite room size.

During my recent stay I was in room 1604, the room is fine, but it is situated next to the lift shaft, which does temper the enjoyment and reduce the air of peace and tranquility provided by the most comfortable beds and those great bathrobes. The top tip is to request a room away for the lift shaft if you are looking to rest and recharge at the Taj.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not too close to the elevator shaft
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ashrafi_Matcheswala, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2015

Dear LondonDinky,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We do get a lot of great comments like yours on our robes which a lot of our guests find very plush and comfortable. i am delighted to inform you that we have just been awarded a second Michelin star for our hotel. We look forward to your future visit to our hotel.

ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com

Reviewed 3 February 2014

When my wife and I travel, we always try to select one hotel we call our Splurge Hotel. In our recent stay in San Francisco, we chose the Taj Campton Place. We have never stayed in a Taj Hotel, though I have read about their properties in India and other places around the world. The chain is supposed to be on the same level as 5 star hotels. It is! Our stay was absolutely fantastic.
We requested an early check in and the room was available at 10:30 AM. Check in was easy, and for the rest of our stay, the woman who checked us in always greeted us by name. The room was excellent. The bed was super comfortable. Every day, after the room was cleaned, it was spotless.
As other people have mentioned in their reviews, the location is great. 4 short blocks away is Market Street, and from there, a bus, trolley, or cable car can take you practically anywhere. (Look into buying a City Pass - unlimited rides on all three!)
When we asked the concierge how to get to where we wanted, the directions were printed out so we couldn't let lost. For us, that was great. The concierges were very helpful and very knowledgable.
They have a 1 star Michelin fine dining restaurant. And it’s not expensive, $60.00 for a 3 course prefixed menu. My wife didn’t care for the selections so we ate in the small Bistro because they have a regular menu. The food was excellent! The service was too.
We had breakfast every day in the restaurant and it was great. I loved the French toast and my wife thought the pancakes were the best.
It’s not a large hotel so don’t expect a spa, massages, or shops in the lobby. But the lobby is exquisite. The flower arrangements were perfect for the space. I think one reason the hotel was so nice was that everyone paid attention to the smallest of details.
If you happen to be going to San Francisco in the near future and are an American Express Platinum card holder, by booking through the America Express Fine Hotel Program, if you stay 3 nights you get the 4th for free. We stayed in our splurge hotel, and we didn’t even have to splurge!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 347RobertL347
Ashrafi M, General Manager at Taj Campton Place, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Robert L,

We are thrilled that you chose to stay at our hotel and that you shared this lovely review with us. We thank you for taking the time to do so, for it is reviews such as these that inspire us to provide our guests with great service.

We are happy to hear that you had a seamless check-in process because that a key part of a guest’s stay. Starting our guests with a positive experience from the beginning. Additionally, we hope that you had a great time on the cable cars!

Although Bistro Bar is an excellent choice, the next time you stay with us you must try Campton Place Restaurant! Our Executive Chef executes the food for both restaurants, so if you liked Bistro Bar, we are sure that you will like Campton Place Restaurant.

Thank you for all of your kind words. We can not wait to welcome you back again in the near future on your next splurge.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is the best hotel, in San Francisco, I have stayed at a lot hotels in the city. It's Quiet,
clean, and comfortable too.
The bar is quiet, and very relaxing. They make the best martinis.
The cuisine, and service were exceptional, in the restaurant.
Starbucks is close by, one door away from the hotel.

Room Tip: I try to always, get a room facing, front of the hotel , with a window seat.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bill63Seattle

Dear Bill63Seattle,

Thank you for your excellent review of Taj Campton Place. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I am delighted to inform you that we have just been awarded a second Michelin star for our Campton Place restaurant. We look forward to your future visit to our hotel.

ashrafi.matcheswala@tajhotels.com

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I was looking forward to staying at a Taj Hotel, even though the price of a room is higher than some other high end hotels in the area. The location of the SF Taj is perfect. Easy walking to just about anything you want to do. The hotel is on the small side which we like. I was told that we were upgraded to a deluxe room. Not sure what we got that was deluxe compared to a regular room. It was clean. Bathroom was well equipped however the sink kept backing up with water. Bed was comfortable. The bar was stocked however the only complimentary snacks offered were two bottles of water. There was coffee offered in the bar in the morning. They had some small muffins to go with the coffee, however the muffins tasted like they were yesterdays goodies.
I will say that all the hotel staff we came in contact with was great. It's too bad the hotel doesn't meet the quality of the staff.

Room Tip: It's San Francisco. If you want fresh air, you can open a window however you will also hear the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple