“great place, even though they had to give us a skanky room for one night”

Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #110 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
New York, NY
“great place, even though they had to give us a skanky room for one night”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We always stay at this place, and continue to like it. Unfortunately, the hotel did not have our usual king suite ready, so they stuck us in a downstairs queen room that was somewhat small and dank.
The hotel lady comped us on the garage as well as giving us a lower price for the room, which was more than fair. Then they gave us a wonderful king suite on the third floor. The hotel has great garage space, which you can go in or out of at any time, and is very near to some of our favorite San Francisco places, including the Presidio. This is a great place in town, and they love pets!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank annbury
Clark L, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am glad to see that you continue to enjoy your stays at the Laurel Inn. It is nice to read how you have been staying with us for several years. While I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room on the first night, I am glad that we were able to recover and make sure that you were moved to an appropriate room.

We look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit to San Francisco.

Clark Latterell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We love staying at this hotel! We have a daughter at USF and it's close to the University and we stay here every time we visit her. They have a great, friendly staff and always make us feel welcome. We have also have brought our dogs with us on a couple stays and they always bring us a dog bed and bowls for the dogs. They even have dog treats for them! It's like home away from home for us!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lynne D
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to see that you enjoy your stays at the Laurel Inn. Having a convenient location to USF as well as making sure that your dog is properly greeted are just a couple of the amenities that our guests enjoy.

We look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit to see your daughter.

Loleta, California
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We've now stayed in a city view room twice, and enjoyed both experiences very much. The hotel is in a great neighborhood, and within pleasant walking distance to Fillmore Ave., a great local dog park, and UCSF's Mt. Zion campus. They're quick to respond to requests, very dog friendly, and the decor is interesting and cool. We love the coffee and pastries in the morning, and lemonade and cookies in the afternoon that they offer in the lobby.

Room Tip: City view all the way! Love the views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Anna T
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is nice to see that you enjoyed both of your experiences at the Laurel Inn. It is nice to see that our staff was quick to respond to your requests.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Turlock, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Received a call at 5:00 on the check in date to let me know that my reservation was canceled. I was staying at the Laurel Inn so I could walk to a school that I was visiting because of their limited parking. They did book a room for me at Del Sol in the Marina which was further away, so now I incurred more expenses because I needed to take a cab. After I called the 800 corporate Joie de Vivre #, I did receive a call from the manager explaining why my reservation was canceled. I'm not interested in hearing why I was inconvenienced. It seemed unprofessional to be called so late on the day of arrival plus it has never happened to me before.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank snemeth
Clark L, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry for the fact that you reservation had to be relocated to another hotel. As I mentioned to you, we did not overbook the hotel. Instead, there was a guest who was already in house and needed to extend their stay for medical reasons. Due to this, we were unable to accommodate you.

Instead of having you come to the hotel first and then go to another hotel, we called you prior to your arrival so that you could do directly to the other hotel. In addition, we did pay for your room that night and did not charge you or the school that you came to visit. The following morning, we also extended complimentary parking to you when you went to your school.

Once again, I am very sorry that we had to relocate you due to a guest extending their stay.

NC
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed for a week at the Laurel Inn, in late April. Visiting family.
Essentially....? Most of the reviews are spot on. The hotel is OK, but for the price, it's not actually up to par with other similar boutique hotels in SF that I have stayed at in the past.
The hotel is somewhat dated on the inside, though the outside is very modern and beautiful. The rooms are definitely very large by SF standards and well appointed, but nothing special. I did not notice any musty smells at all, though. In fact, it smelled very fresh and clean!
The bathrooms....yes, the bathrooms. They are large, but so outdated. For a hotel of this caliber, one would expect higher quality....and to be able to shower without getting wrapped up by the flimsy, thin fabric shower curtain provided, that attempts to entwine you as soon as you get in and start the shower.
There was low pressure in the shower, but that's because they have low-flow shower heads, due to living in a drought stricken climate. They were still just fine, though. I don't understand the complaints about that.
In other reviews, people suggested a higher floor, and a city view. I agree. Although, unfortunately I was at the end of the hallway, closest to California Ave, and even on the 2nd floor, I did hear lots of traffic noise. But, it wasn't all that bothersome, so if city noises aren't an issue for you, you'll do just fine.
DO request a room away from the elevators, though...
I will say that the views from my room were SPECTACULAR! The city skyline at night is so lovely.
The beds were indeed very comfortable. Best part of the room actually...
No coffee maker in room? Very strange. Even Hampton Inn's have those....Please think about including those in the future. There is no reason for anyone to have to walk downstairs to the lobby in pajama's to get coffee in the morning.
The front desk staff was cordial, though not overly friendly. But certainly no one was ever once unfriendly, as some other reviewers have said.
Cleaning staff was wonderful! Greeted with a smile and a friendly "hello!" every morning when I left the room...
On busline, close to some fun shopping areas, but it IS far away from downtown, be aware of that. And also be aware that this does NOT necessarily make it any quieter...
Overall, it was a good experience, but i just wasn't overly impressed. For that kind of money, there are a few other hotels I would likely stay in next time I'm in town. My favorite is the Galleria Park, off of Sutton Ave, right downtown in the financial district.
Anyway.....overall, I was satisfied. Don't be scared by the bad reviews. Really, it's a fine place to stay if you want somewhere a little farther from all the hustle-bustle.
Just don't expect to be blown away.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a city view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank birdybird42
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Last week-end to visit our daughter and grandson we stayed at the Laurel Inn in San Francisco. A quiet, efficient, comfortable hotel exactly one mile in 2 directions from our daughters. 30 minute walk to either address. the nearby street has great shopping and breakfast at the Swank next door on Sunday was fabulous. Service was impeccable - but mostly it was the quiet in a busy city. If you want to exercise the JCC is across the street. Try it and you will like it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Dennis C
Clark L, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is nice to see that you found our hotel, its location and our staff to be a "jewel in the middle of town". Like you, many of our guests like the advantage of using the fitness services at the Jewish Community Center as well as the wonderful cultural program that they have available.

Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This hotel was just okay, but for $200/ night, you can find much nicer and more conveniently located in the city. The hotel is very dated. The room we stayed in had no A/C and was very stale and dank. The room wasn't dirty, but overall had a dingy feel. The parking was convenient, but cost $22/night.
We stayed at several other SF hotels at the same price point and this was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed April 2014
Clark L, General Manager at Laurel Inn, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry that your stay was not up to your expectations. Making sure that our guests have excellent stays is something that we do strive for.

There are many hotels in San Francisco that do not have air conditioning. While San Francisco may have a limited number of days each year where air conditioning could be used, the city has a natural form of air conditioning with the fog. At the Laurel Inn, we do have fans in all of our guest room closets. I am sorry if this did not meet your expectations.

As a boutique neighborhood hotel, we aim to provide room rates and our parking rates at economical rates as compared to our competition.

Once again, I would like to thank you for the feedback that you left.