“What a gem!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pacific Grove, California
“What a gem!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was fortunate enough to stay in room 415 which has a bedroom area with a King size bed and a living room area with a pull out sofa. The King bed in this room was absolutely without a doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Fair warning, this room does get noisy with street traffic, but you're in San Francisco and that's just to be expected no matter where you stay. I asked the front desk for some ear plugs and I slept like a baby through the night without hearing a peep. The room was well appointed and offered more amenities than I needed for just my one night stay. My only critisism is the bathroom in this room was odd in that both doors that lead into it are pocket doors with a full panel of privacy glass. These doors don't lock. However, the bathroom is modern and it didn't take away from my stay in the slightest.

The service here is fantastic! Kudos to the management here. Your team, no matter what time it was or who I interacted with, was always friendly and had a smile on their face. Also, my sincere thanks to the housekeeping team for doing such a great job at cleaning our room. It was perfect!

Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel! Thank you again for the wonderful experience!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chriscdove, Manager at Hotel Abri, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear KR1226:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay with us here at Hotel AbRi. I am glad you enjoyed room 415, it is one of very spacious and nicely designed Oasis Suites. I have shared your comments with the entire Team of how wonderful you found the service and it brought that natural smile to all of their faces. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel AbRi anytime your travel plans bring you to the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you again!

Warmly,
Chris Dove
Director of Rooms

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Upon arrival, the lobby was trendy and staff were very friendly. Hotel rooms were small, but it was to be expected due to the location of the hotel, and clean. Location was great! It was close to shopping, cable cars and street cars. We were pretty much able to get around with no trouble. We were worried about the noise level since the hotel was on a busy street but found it was not a problem at all. My only request would have been to have some sort of breakfast served.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MrsTravelBug79
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was perfect right in the middle of the action! Still quiet when you needed to rest. The trolley cars and shopping are right around the corner. The staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were small but clean and well appointed. Price was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Spent three nights staying in this Hotel for a long weekend, and was very unimpressed. It is located in an older building which has been renovated. As a result, the rooms were quite small, though clean and well-appointed, with comfortable beds. The owners spent quite a bit of time and money on making the place trendy -- a bank of iPads in the lobby, for example, served no apparent purpose but gave the place a certain "look".

They should have devoted some money to basic infrastructure, including double-glazing for the windows facing the street. As other reviews have noted, there is a dance club across the street and that produced very noisy conditions in our room, with people stepping out to smoke on the street (and lined up to get in) having loud drunken conversations well past 2 am on both Friday and Saturday night. The windows are thin and the sound was passed directly into the room. I have stayed in downtown hotels in other cities, and have seen that efforts can be made to abate the noise -- that was not done at the Abri, and the result produced sleeping conditions that were unacceptable.

The front-desk staff was friendly and helpful. Room cleaning staff not so, unfortunately -- we were out of our room from 9 am until 3 pm, and then returned to an unmade room. At 3:30 pm the housekeeping staff knocked on the door, and despite being told we were leaving again within 30 minutes, tried to force herself into the room "just to leave some fresh towels." We had to order her out. The next day (to avoid the same problem), on the way out at 10 am we told the front desk staff we were leaving and asked to have the room cleaned early. When we returned at 1 pm it was still unmade. So no responsiveness at all......

If you somehow managed to get a really cheap rate and were staying midweek, this would be an acceptable hotel. We paid far too much for nights that were not restful. Keep the trendy, and give me good sleep instead.

Room Tip: Don't book here unless they will guarantee a room away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HK_Observer
Portland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This place was right for the money. The service is 4 star, the hotel is clean and has a fresh modern playful interior. Super comfy even in the cozy room size and CRAZY quite for being right of the busy streets. We had an inner room and I took a nap during rush hour to no street voice. Easy access to bar and restaurant down stairs and a relentlessly helpful cab fetcher, valets, house keeping and front desk. So impressed! and a great deal for the price competition in the area! I left my coat in the room and they shipped it to me that same day! Thank you Arbi

Room Tip: Ask for the inner facing rooms. You won't have a view for out rooms anyway other then other bui...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I spent three nights here on a business trip back to my former hometown. It was work-related and on my dime so I wanted to save some money. I choose this hotel because the price was right. Although the area around the hotel is crowded with tourists and a heavy number of panhandlers, it's super close to BART and Muni and all of the Union Square attractions, plus easy walking distance to the Financial District. I really enjoyed this hotel. It's a big, old building and I appreciated the way they've embraced the older elements of the hotel like the large stairs and wide hallways. My room on the 2nd floor was very large and very comfortable. It was pleasantly decorated and it and a decent bathroom and a table that was suitable for setting up my laptop and getting to work. I actually ended spending more time in the room than I intended to so I appreciated that it was comfortable and clean the television came with a full menu of cable channels. The lobby area was nice and the staff was friendly. This hotel pulls off being upscale and comfortable without being pretentious and at a really good price. I would recommend it and I think I would be stay there again. The only real downside is that there is not a gym. A good fitness center is a must for me. They do have an arrangement with a gym that's not so nearby but when you're traveling and you're busy and you need to workout, packing up a gym bag (if you have one) and going several blocks away to workout is not fun. But if that's not a major issue for you then the benefits here far outweigh any disadvantage.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James J
Playa del Rey, CA
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Front desk staff was great. Lobby area is quite nice.

Hotel rooms area is extremely outdated. Seems like I'm walking through an abandoned apartment building. The rooms are outdated as well. I suppose the main issue is the lobby gives off a completely different impression than what the room conditions are.

My main complaint is with housekeeping. I stayed for 5 nights and not once did I get a refill on soap/shampoo. Ya they cleaned up the room but no refills for 5 nights??? that's ridiculous. I'm sure I could have called to complain but I was way too busy to spend the time.

I'd suggest coming here only if the rates are extremely competitive.

Room Tip: Get something near the stairwell cause the elevator takes forever
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business