“Trendy design lacking in amenities”
Review of Hotel Abri

Hotel Abri
Ranked #49 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 May 2014

SHORT REVIEW
=============
Overall, my stay was "ok". I was here on business and it worked for my purpose. If I visit again and other hotels have availability, I'd probably try them first.

Positives:
- Well decorated
- Nice staff
- Reasonable location

Negatives:
- Not a good value
- Small
- Few amenities
- Questionable cleaning (at least in my room)

LONG(ER) REVIEW
================
This hotel was one I got in a room in out of necessity. It just barely fit my company's rate requirements and was within walking distance of Moscone Convention Center. It also looked fairly trendy (and advertised itself that way), so that's why I ultimately ended up here.

To address some of the listed pros above:
- Kudos to the interior designer. It's well decorated.
- For a business traveler who was at Moscone Center, this was one of the closest hotels around. It's about 0.4 miles away (~10 minutes) from that convention center and right up against Market St. This is one of the main roads in San Francisco. It also (because of this) has quick access to the street cars and cable cars. I didn't get on the cable car, though, as they're slower, pricier, and much longer wait to use than the street cars. Using the street car, it took about 30 minutes to get to Pier 39 - so definitely not the closest to a major tourist area.

And an explanation of some cons:
- This is a really small hotel. I had an Urban Suite and it was roughly the size of a studio at Bay Lake Towers (for those of you familiar). If you have no idea what I just said, it's probably ~350 sq ft. The Urban Suite is larger than a standard room. I peeked into a standard room when a cleaning person had the door open and it was tiny. As a solo traveler, I could have stayed there and been annoyed but fine. I would not recommend it when not traveling alone.
- On top of being small, there really aren't any common amenities. There is no gym, no free continental (or other) breakfast, no (free) airport shuttle, and no pool. There is free wifi but it's fairly slow and requires frequent sign-ups. It has room service with the standard 20% + service charge mandatory add-on.
- Really, my biggest complaint is the cleaning. The elevator was unventilated, the hallway had an odd smell, and my room had an even stranger smell that seemed to come from the closet. It wasn't bad enough to make a stink (!) about it, but it wasn't addressed by any cleaning staff who came in the room over my week stay. On top of that, while the mattress seemed fairly comfortable - there seemed to be something about the sheets that was quite itchy.

Room Tip: Higher floors should be quieter but beware the slow and small elevators. An interior room was fairly...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Abri

Reviewed 22 May 2014

A nice boutique hotel that's good value. The hotel was clean, comfortable and modern. Very close to the Bart, Muni and cable car systems in the heart of Union Square. My only complaint, the wifi was a bit slow by modern standards.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was fortunate enough to stay in room 415 which has a bedroom area with a King size bed and a living room area with a pull out sofa. The King bed in this room was absolutely without a doubt the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Fair warning, this room does get noisy with street traffic, but you're in San Francisco and that's just to be expected no matter where you stay. I asked the front desk for some ear plugs and I slept like a baby through the night without hearing a peep. The room was well appointed and offered more amenities than I needed for just my one night stay. My only critisism is the bathroom in this room was odd in that both doors that lead into it are pocket doors with a full panel of privacy glass. These doors don't lock. However, the bathroom is modern and it didn't take away from my stay in the slightest.

The service here is fantastic! Kudos to the management here. Your team, no matter what time it was or who I interacted with, was always friendly and had a smile on their face. Also, my sincere thanks to the housekeeping team for doing such a great job at cleaning our room. It was perfect!

Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel! Thank you again for the wonderful experience!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Chriscdove, Manager at Hotel Abri, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear KR1226:

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about your stay with us here at Hotel AbRi. I am glad you enjoyed room 415, it is one of very spacious and nicely designed Oasis Suites. I have shared your comments with the entire Team of how wonderful you found the service and it brought that natural smile to all of their faces. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel AbRi anytime your travel plans bring you to the San Francisco Bay Area. Thank you again!

Warmly,
Chris Dove
Director of Rooms

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Upon arrival, the lobby was trendy and staff were very friendly. Hotel rooms were small, but it was to be expected due to the location of the hotel, and clean. Location was great! It was close to shopping, cable cars and street cars. We were pretty much able to get around with no trouble. We were worried about the noise level since the hotel was on a busy street but found it was not a problem at all. My only request would have been to have some sort of breakfast served.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MrsTravelBug79
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel was perfect right in the middle of the action! Still quiet when you needed to rest. The trolley cars and shopping are right around the corner. The staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were small but clean and well appointed. Price was very reasonable. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Spent three nights staying in this Hotel for a long weekend, and was very unimpressed. It is located in an older building which has been renovated. As a result, the rooms were quite small, though clean and well-appointed, with comfortable beds. The owners spent quite a bit of time and money on making the place trendy -- a bank of iPads in the lobby, for example, served no apparent purpose but gave the place a certain "look".

They should have devoted some money to basic infrastructure, including double-glazing for the windows facing the street. As other reviews have noted, there is a dance club across the street and that produced very noisy conditions in our room, with people stepping out to smoke on the street (and lined up to get in) having loud drunken conversations well past 2 am on both Friday and Saturday night. The windows are thin and the sound was passed directly into the room. I have stayed in downtown hotels in other cities, and have seen that efforts can be made to abate the noise -- that was not done at the Abri, and the result produced sleeping conditions that were unacceptable.

The front-desk staff was friendly and helpful. Room cleaning staff not so, unfortunately -- we were out of our room from 9 am until 3 pm, and then returned to an unmade room. At 3:30 pm the housekeeping staff knocked on the door, and despite being told we were leaving again within 30 minutes, tried to force herself into the room "just to leave some fresh towels." We had to order her out. The next day (to avoid the same problem), on the way out at 10 am we told the front desk staff we were leaving and asked to have the room cleaned early. When we returned at 1 pm it was still unmade. So no responsiveness at all......

If you somehow managed to get a really cheap rate and were staying midweek, this would be an acceptable hotel. We paid far too much for nights that were not restful. Keep the trendy, and give me good sleep instead.

Room Tip: Don't book here unless they will guarantee a room away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HK_Observer
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This place was right for the money. The service is 4 star, the hotel is clean and has a fresh modern playful interior. Super comfy even in the cozy room size and CRAZY quite for being right of the busy streets. We had an inner room and I took a nap during rush hour to no street voice. Easy access to bar and restaurant down stairs and a relentlessly helpful cab fetcher, valets, house keeping and front desk. So impressed! and a great deal for the price competition in the area! I left my coat in the room and they shipped it to me that same day! Thank you Arbi

Room Tip: Ask for the inner facing rooms. You won't have a view for out rooms anyway other then other bui...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends