“Fantastic location, not a tired hotel like many in the area..”
Review of Hotel Abri

Hotel Abri
Ranked #49 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This review is long overdue - I was at the Abri for 4 nights in Nov.

When I was looking at the hotels in SF, I was not convinced by the so-call "charmingly period" hotels (read OLD and tired furnishings). The Abri's makeover looked modern and has good reviews in TA, is centrally-located around Union Sq/shopping. It wasn't gloomy like many others.

Location: fantastic, if you are driving, there are garages within a short walk away and car-rental offices nearby. The Powell Bart with direct link to SFO is around the corner, and cable cars to Fisherman's Wharf and other areas are easily accessible. There are convenience stores all over the area.

The room itself is rather tiny. Not a problem if you are out the whole day, but I think will be cramped and claustrophobic if you are staying in for a length of time. Good comfortable beds, fairly well-maintained, adequate furnishing.
Good usual in-room amenities like kettle, hair-dryer, bathrobes, coffee & tea. The hotel also provide free Peet coffee in the morning downstairs while I was there.
The front office/concierge staff are helpful and friendly, always ready with a suggestion/recommendation.

Didn't like:
-There is an initial whiff of sewage in the room every day whenever I return to the room, but which I couldnt detect subsequently.
-Street noise is there, but not terribly so, especially with windows closed
-There are homeless street people around, but I do not feel threathened

I would use this hotel again if all I want is a clean place to sleep in a fantastic location AND if a good price is available. It is probably best of the lot given the age of the hotels around Union Sq.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Abri

Reviewed 7 June 2014

What can we say about this experience. This hotel understands customer service. When the boiler went out and guests (including us) were without hot water...the team at Hotel Abri not only quickly fixed the boiler...later in the day left a box of Ghiradelli chocolates in our room with a note from the Director of Rooms apologizing for the situation. All the staff were uber friendly. Very nice room, great location in SF, and close to everything. Will definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Chriscdove, Manager at Hotel Abri, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Rick C:

Many thanks for your kind review of your stay with us here at Hotel AbRi. I appreciate your understanding regarding the unforeseen problem with the boiler while in house as guests with us. I do hope you enjoyed the SF chocolates. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel AbRi anytime your plans bring you to the SF Bay Area.

Warmly,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We spent a week at Hotel Abri while exploring San Francisco. The hotel is in a great location for transit (including the cable car downtown terminus right around the corner), shopping and is very central for getting to the tremendous number of attractions that SF has to offer. It's an older hotel that has been nicely updated. We had a spacious inside room that was completely quiet, but understand that some of the rooms might be a bit on the small side. The bed was comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Francisco.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for an inside room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Chriscdove, Manager at Hotel Abri, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear 940 Maui12:

Thank you very kindly for the taking the time to complete a review of Hotel AbRi, I am so very happy to hear you truly enjoyed your week stay with us here at AbRi. And, as you pointed out we are truly centrally located to all that San Francisco has to offer and glad you had this opportunity to explore. And too we like to think of the hotel as having so much character as it has been beautifully restored and maintained from its origins from the early 20th Century. I have also shared with the Team your comments of how friendly you found all of them. We are grateful. When your next trip brings you to San Francisco we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel AbRi.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

I had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. My check in Was fairly easy, I actually checked in via email and they had my room,ready for me when I arrived. I had a nice street view , I had acess to the WiFi. The bed was so comfortable and I loved the pillows. Great tv and was super excited about getting to watch multiple channels because of the direct tv. One of my favorite hotels now in union square.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank krisbaby29

Dear krisbaby 29:

Thank you for taking time to comment so positively about your recent stay with us here at Hotel AbRi. I'm glad you had the chance to experience the on line check-in app that is available through your smart phone. We are very proud and happy to offer this new amenity. I too am always so comfortable in our fabulous beds on the rare treats I get to stay in the hotel. The Direct TV is certainly a great amenity for all of our guests as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. In the meantime as we say here at AbRi, Stay Vibrant!

Warmly,

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I had very bad experience. First, I requested a quiet room and I had very loud music playing from about midnight till 3 am. Then the room itself was a size of a matchbox with windows facing the brick dirty wall, so no day light could penetrate at all, and I felt like being in prison.
I have complained about the noise, but nothing was done to fix it. I will never stay at Abri again.

Room Tip: if quality of rooms is important, then find out all the details about the room before booking it and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Olga G

Dear Olga G:

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay with us here at Hotel AbRi. I am so terribly sorry we failed you in so many ways in regards to your room accommodations. Moreover, I am even more concerned that you complained about the loud music that you were hearing into the early morning hours and that nothing was done to correct this problem. I can only imagine how frustrating this must have been. If you might have a moment to contact me directly at 415-392-8800, I would very much like to have a few more details from this experience s that I might determine exactly what happened. Olga, we do greatly pride ourselves on the service we provide to our guests and I am sorry in this instance we had failed you. I look forward to hearing directly from you but in any event thank you very kinldy for staying with us at Hotel AbRI.

With best regards,

Reviewed 22 May 2014

SHORT REVIEW
=============
Overall, my stay was "ok". I was here on business and it worked for my purpose. If I visit again and other hotels have availability, I'd probably try them first.

Positives:
- Well decorated
- Nice staff
- Reasonable location

Negatives:
- Not a good value
- Small
- Few amenities
- Questionable cleaning (at least in my room)

LONG(ER) REVIEW
================
This hotel was one I got in a room in out of necessity. It just barely fit my company's rate requirements and was within walking distance of Moscone Convention Center. It also looked fairly trendy (and advertised itself that way), so that's why I ultimately ended up here.

To address some of the listed pros above:
- Kudos to the interior designer. It's well decorated.
- For a business traveler who was at Moscone Center, this was one of the closest hotels around. It's about 0.4 miles away (~10 minutes) from that convention center and right up against Market St. This is one of the main roads in San Francisco. It also (because of this) has quick access to the street cars and cable cars. I didn't get on the cable car, though, as they're slower, pricier, and much longer wait to use than the street cars. Using the street car, it took about 30 minutes to get to Pier 39 - so definitely not the closest to a major tourist area.

And an explanation of some cons:
- This is a really small hotel. I had an Urban Suite and it was roughly the size of a studio at Bay Lake Towers (for those of you familiar). If you have no idea what I just said, it's probably ~350 sq ft. The Urban Suite is larger than a standard room. I peeked into a standard room when a cleaning person had the door open and it was tiny. As a solo traveler, I could have stayed there and been annoyed but fine. I would not recommend it when not traveling alone.
- On top of being small, there really aren't any common amenities. There is no gym, no free continental (or other) breakfast, no (free) airport shuttle, and no pool. There is free wifi but it's fairly slow and requires frequent sign-ups. It has room service with the standard 20% + service charge mandatory add-on.
- Really, my biggest complaint is the cleaning. The elevator was unventilated, the hallway had an odd smell, and my room had an even stranger smell that seemed to come from the closet. It wasn't bad enough to make a stink (!) about it, but it wasn't addressed by any cleaning staff who came in the room over my week stay. On top of that, while the mattress seemed fairly comfortable - there seemed to be something about the sheets that was quite itchy.

Room Tip: Higher floors should be quieter but beware the slow and small elevators. An interior room was fairly...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2014

A nice boutique hotel that's good value. The hotel was clean, comfortable and modern. Very close to the Bart, Muni and cable car systems in the heart of Union Square. My only complaint, the wifi was a bit slow by modern standards.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo