“Simple, inexpensive, and elegant”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #88 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I booked The Mosser because it was the least expensive lodging with good reviews close to the Moscone Centre. If you look (or ask) single room rates can be significantly lower than $150. For that price in SF I was expecting a dump, especially considering the two star rating. Instead, you get a tiny but comfortable room in an elegant setting two blocks from the convention centre. Clean, free breakfast, polite staff, free wifi; that's all I need. Be advised, shared bathrooms in the hall, but a sink and amenities are in the rooms. The hotel is giving me a discount for posting a positive review. Nonetheless, my review is honest. I just cancelled a different hotel for tomorrow just to stay here again!

Room Tip: I got a terrific rate ($100) on trivago.com.
3  Thank Slepkov
Write a ReviewReviews (2,389)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Was a little hesitant about what to expect but pleasantly surprised. My mother stayed here alone and was happy with the room. It was clean, comfortable and in a good location to see many of the city attractions. Downside, there were some homeless people in the area who were a bit aggressive. BART station very close made an easy trip to the airport.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank originalmadshopper
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Probably the best location if it's your first trip to SF and you want to be in the middle of everything. The hotel is in 5 min walk from Union Square, 3 min to BART and Muni. All the major shops, restaurants and many city attractions are in this area.
My wife and I stayed couple nights in a room with queen bed facing the 4th street. The room was very clean and quite.
The staff was very polite and attentive. They serve light breakfast in the lobby,which is free.
I'm glad that we stayed there and highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikhail B
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at The Mosser while attending the Fancy Food Show at the Moscone Center and was initially assigned a room at the 2nd floor. However, I requested to be moved to a different room as it was too noisy and could not sleep. The manager at that time, Jesse immediately accommodated and found me a room at a higher floor on the 4th floor and another staff member Eric showed me the room and when i said it was ok, helped me move. Jesse then made arrangements for shuttle service & recommended a good restaurant for dinner. I'd go back because of the excellent location, cleanliness and courteousness of the staff.

2  Thank ablanc2014
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Honestly, the shared bath for our room didn't bother me. Being there for business, having a private bath wasn't an issue. It was clean and well kept, although very small. My disappointment was in the room, which looked less like the rooms shown on the website. It was VERY small, I would estimate less than 80 square feet and very cramped for two people. Having booked my room 6 months in advance, I was surprised to have received such a small room. Additionally, there was no view, at all. Approximately three feet outside our window was a cement wall that blocked most daylight.

The noise level was also louder than I expected, being able to hear even general conversations in rooms.

As for the featured restaurant Annabelle's, I was equally disappointed. While very quaint in atmosphere and should compliment the hotel, I found their service lacking and unpersonable.

Finally, I am five calls into the hotel to correct an overcharge to my credit card and it is still unresolved.

To find a highlight, their Friday wine tasting was a nice touch as was their morning coffee and pastries. I just wish these highlights could have carried over into the rest of the stay.

Room Tip: Request a room with a bay window. The few extra square feet helps. They also seemed to be the rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Hillary M, Sales Manager at The Mosser, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Jeff B.,
Thank you for your honest feedback- as an independent family-owned property, we are always looking for ways to improve our guest’s stays – We’re glad you appreciated the light breakfast & wine hour. Apologies that we did not quite meet your expectations – we are always open to suggestions so that we can improve our operation here at the Mosser Hotel. This property was built in 1913 and we certainly have some very value oriented rooms that are smaller, which is the room you stayed in. However we do have plenty of rooms that offer far more space for those that would like size above lowest price. Our larger rooms do face the 4th street side and we strive to accommodate all special requests. For guests who are light sleepers, we do have complimentary ear plugs at the front desk. I do wish that I had the opportunity to speak directly with you while you were here as I am confident that the issues you had could have been rectified immediately so that your experience would have been as good as so many before you. Thanks again for your business and hopefully you can give us another try in the future.

Hillary M.
Sales Manager

Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is the 2nd year that I have stayed at The Mosser while attending a conference at the Moscone Center. I really enjoy the Victorian charm of this hotel. It is very clean, the bed is comfy, and it is a very easy walk to the center, as well as lots of shopping and restaurants!

Reviewed 16 January 2014

I would say that this is a great place if you are just looking for a nice, clean room in a good location at a low cost, but the problem is it's not low-cost. Not at all. You're basically paying luxury hotel fees to stay at what is essentially an adult youth-hostel.

I insisted on having my own bathroom (that's where I draw the line), so that might have contributed at least somewhat to the cost. But the bathroom was like what you get on cruise ships with everything scrunched together in a tiny space. The sink is tiny and has an overhang directly above it, so that when you try to shave you can't put your face directly over it and the water just gets all over the floor.

Listen, I am not usually that crazy picky. I think if you are spending a lot of time in your hotel room when you are visiting San Francisco, there's something wrong with you. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was friendly (but isn't it pretty much everywhere?). But this hotel is WAY overpriced for what you get. There are better places to stay in San Fran for much less money. You can do better.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business