“Excellent value”

The Mosser
Ranked #92 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Mosser. The staff were friendly and efficient and the hotel itself was very clean and well maintained. The location in downtown San Francisco suited our purposes, too, although being in a busy urban area it might be advisable to bring earplugs...

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dave L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Just finished my second stay here and it's clear word has spread far beyond California about the Mosser. Lots of young Europeans are guests. And with good reason. The hotel, simple, clean and affordable with a whiff of sophistication, fills up often. Great location off Market. Good included breakfast of coffee and buttery muffins. I'll be back - if I can get in.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank JohnDNorth
Sierra Madre, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My friend and I stayed here one night recently. Check in was easy and we enjoyed the fresh fruit in the lobby. The lobby was clean and the hotel room is updated and clean. This is an old victorian hotel and has the charm of one. The room we were in had a queen bed and a sink. The restroom was right next door. I knew about the shared restroom before check in but I was pleasantly surprised to have a sink in the room. It is very convenient. The room had a new flat screen and good toiletries. Even one nice surprise toiletry - I won't spoil it but I really like it. I let my friend have it and the lobby was kind enough to give us an extra one. The room is small but comfortable. I would stay here again due to location, friendly staff, great rates and comfy bed, oh yeah, a good strong coffee in the lobby in the mornings.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mahncherie
Reviewed 24 June 2014

From the moment I check-in, usually Jesse is at the front desk to greet me. When I check-out, Nish the Supervisor, is the last person To wish me well before I start my new day. Now, what happens in between is a homely, San Francisco hotel stay in the heart of the city.
As a long-time New Yorker that now resides on the West Coast, the Mosser is the hotel I've booked reservations with the most. Hotels in SF range from some of the worst to the elite best. As a person on a modest budget, I can't afford to pay 4-star hotel prices. But, that doesn't mean you need to suffer in sub-par accommodations.

Here's a quick review of a typical Mosser visit:
Check-in: having stayed here so much, I feel like Norm from "Cheers". Always a friendly greeting, usually from Jesse.
Ambiance: clean hallways and carpet.
Bathrooms: depends If you have one in your room or not. I've stay in both settings and the word that sums it up is CLEAN. You're not grossed out if you're using the shared toilets or showers. Amazed how they keep it in great condition every time.
Room: No Frills, Clean carpet and beddings. Basic living, just the essentials. Don't expect a presidential suite. Do expect a flat screen cable TV, working sink, a robe and a place to hang your stuff. Keeping it simple means a usually modest hotel rate in a prime location.
Check-out: Nish is nothing but a gentleman and always is grateful for me to choose the Mosser in a city with hundreds of hotels.

In summary, if you're on a modest budget, want a clean hotel stay in a safe neighborhood within the heart of San Francisco, why would you stay anywhere else but The Mosser!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank JP P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed here to attend a conference nearby for a week. I find that given the location and ALL the conveniences around the hotel, I could overlook other annoyances while we were there. True that the room was a little small but considering that we were in there just to sleep it wasn't a bother. However our room almost facing the Fourth St, at the end of the corridor, a fire escape route as well. We found that the traffic was quite noisy to have a good night sleep.
Solution? We tired ourselves out during the day with work/travel/sightseeing and slept soundlessly throughout the night. I don't know about the solution to this but maybe a triple glass window could work?

Room Tip: Maybe get a room that is not facing any main roads, and also NOT next to the ice machine.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank EruditeTravels83
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Location-great
Staff-very nice
Rooms waaaaaay to small by American hotel standards, it felt like European vacation complete with tubs down the hall.
It was so noisy I couldn't sleep. Wished I booked marriott across the street

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gypseegrl
Phoenix
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just stayed two nights here in a single room. The room is very small, but adequate..can't imagine paying the high prices this city charges for a hotel and then you are out sightseeing all day! The location is excellent within walking distance of BART/Powell St and lots of shops if that is what you want to do. In the room I had, there was a sink and shared bathroom..the bathrooms were always clean as was the hall bath. Nice bathrobe in the closet..room has trendy colors. Slept well..I always take earplugs when I travel, but it was quiet. I could hear the people talking in the room next door for a bit but that was about it. Would definitely stay there again....safe location, nice lobby..classic old hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo