“A gem of a find”

Ranked #96 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Anchorage, AK
“A gem of a find”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was traveling to SF on business - a conference at the Marriott Marquis. The Marriott was able to accommodate me for two days of a five day trip. They offered to accommodate me for the extra three days at an exorbitant rate. Enter the Mosser. Now, I have to say, I had my reservations. The reservation clerk confirmed a "Deluxe" room with twin beds. I thought he was joking, and he said that he wasn't. He explained that their standard rooms had shared baths, but I'd have a private bath. Oh, boy, this was going to be fun. However, as there were few other options, and it is literally across the street from the Marriott, I accepted.

What a surprise when I entered the room. Like others have said the rooms are small (European style), but they are clean and well appointed (albeit simple)They offer free wifi, which the Marriott didn't. There was absolutely nothing about my stay at I can complain about. Sure, I'd love to have had a bigger bed, but it was just me, and most of the time I only use a small portion of the bed anyway in a hotel.

They also had complimentary breakfast muffins and coffee every morning. I'd highly recommend me. No you don't get the conference center, and hotel bar, but if you want that, just step across the street and utilize he Marriott's facilities.

An additional bonus is ere is a Target department store literally 100 yards (or less from the front entrance). There are CVS and Walgreen pharmacies just down the street. There is a full service mall just around the corner (< 5 minute walk). You can walk down to the Embarcadero in about 15 minutes.

E only negative is that there are lots of homeless people in the area, many wi visible mental illnesses. They don't really bother you though, and where in SF will you not have is problem. I highly recommend his place.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with private baths. The shared baths look nice (and are the same as the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I had my first time staying at the Mosser during the first week of July. I just want to share that the customer service team was friendly and very attentive with me. I had an issue with my reservation, but all staff members at the front desk helped me solve it and provided different alternatives to make sure I was stress-free and satisfied regardless of any miscommunication. The room was clean and the environment was peaceful during my two-day stay. Thanks for the excellent memory, folks. I hope this is the kind of experience I continue to have at the Mosser for upcoming visits.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Fresno, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We went to San Francisco to celebrate my husband's birthday with a Giants game. I am always thorough when researching new hotels, and wanted to stay somewhere in the city without paying a fortune. I was very fortunate to find the Mosser here on trip advisor. The price was right, and so I booked a "Deluxe Full" which had a full size bed and private bathroom. Yes, not all the rooms have private baths, so pay attention when you are booking. We arrived, and as instructed pulled up to the curb outside for valet parking (really convenient- about $40/day). The bell man is right at the door waiting for you. This is a small building compared to many others, especially the big Marriott across the street- but there is a big sign and not difficult to see. We checked in and were greeted by a friendly clerk who gave us our room keys in a quick and efficient manner. We stayed on the third floor, so we used the elevator and went right up to our room (313). We were so tickled by our room. Everything was clean, cozy and it had all the necessary amenities. Now, if you are looking for an expansive room with a couch and open space- this is not it. Our room was very small, but perfect for our needs and full of personality. The hotel was built in the early 1900's, so yes it's OLD but the rooms are not dated. They have remodeled the hotel with pleasant modern touches that really make it comfortable and pleasant. If you like cookie cutter typical rooms, go elsewhere.... But if you want to experience the flavor and color of traditional SF, this is a great place to stay. The location is also great, there are shops all around, including a Ross across the street and a Target just a block away. So if you need to pick up something, it's all right there. There is real shopping (Macys, Disney Store, Gap, etc) within easy walking distance. I also highly recommend the bistro next door for dinner, it was really good and service was excellent as well. Ask for Angel, he helped us decide on dinner and knows his menu well. Overall I am very pleased and will return again soon.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank yayhasplz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This is a fairly basic hotel, but was exactly what we needed. It is clean and comfortable, and the staff on the front desk are very helpful.

We were given a very small room on our first night, right next to the ice machine which was really noisy. We spoke to the front desk the next morning though and were given a choice of rooms to move to. We actually chose to upgrade to a bigger room with ensuite. I'd definitely recommend doing this if you can rather than going for the cheapest option.

Best of all, the hotel is in a great location. Its in a safe area, just off Market Street and 5/10 minutes walk from Union Square.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank emg205
omaha, ne
Reviewed 9 July 2014

In very good location . . . . Obviously an older hotel but updated and clean . .. room size was small but my spouse and I did not have a problem given the other amenities such as location and good Wifi signal

In particular if you get a good rate this would seem to be a good choice

Room Tip: We were on 5th floor away from street - no view but no noise as well
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank MikeOmaha1
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I came back from vacationing in San Francisco this past week and the experience was a wonderful and amazing one. I stayed at the Mosser and it was an incredible experience. I stayed at the Deluxe Room up in Room #215. It's right beside the hall/shower and people came and went but I slept like a baby. If you have sensitive hearing, I recommend you not to stay beside the hall/shower. The room was small but comfortable to sleep in. My room didn't face the street but I didn't come to San Francisco to stay and admire the hotel view. There were a few goodies left for me like a mascara and earplugs. The staff was very accommodating, helpful and friendly all around. I particularly liked our doorman Mr. Joe who I struck up a great conversation with while I was there and he was helpful giving instructions to getting around the area. The Mosser is a 5 minute walks to Union Street, a 20 min to the Bay Bridge passing through the Financial District, City Hall and the War Memorial Opera House. I recommend going to Annabelle's Bar & Bistro to eat (try the pork tenderloin it was excellent), Mel's Diner (friendly staff & they give you a 10% discount after 6am for breakfast when you eat for the 2nd time on your bill) & Denny's. When you cross the street, there is John's Grill and across the other side of the street a restaurant (which I can't remember the name of) plays jazz (for any jazz lovers out there who would like to dine while being entertained by incredible music). Overall, I had a great experience and recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in and explore the best of downtown San Francisco .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Cherry C
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Mosser was just what the doctor ordered when I had to go to San Francisco on short notice. In the Union Square area near cable cars, shopping, plenty of restaurants, just down the hill from Chinatown, and around the corner from Bay Area Transit (BART). We usually try to stay at Kimpton hotels (the Palomar was just a few doors over), but at the 11th hour they were either full or prohibitively expensive. The Mosser is well maintained, has a very helpful staff, and provides complimentary morning muffins and coffee. The room was small per the period of the building, but the floor plan used space extremely efficiently and the décor was nice. They stowed my luggage after checking out as I explored SF by day and flew out at night. When going to SF in the future I'll look at Kimptons and The Mosser.

Room Tip: I was in a Twin Bed room, #221. It faced the street but was pretty quiet most of the time. Being on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo