“Unsurpassed service!!!”

Ranked #96 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Melbourne
“Unsurpassed service!!!”
Reviewed 25 June 2009

As we were staying at the Mosser, we were already composing TA reviews in our heads as we knew we just had to tell everyone how great it was. The main reason? The people! Our stay was meant to be 4 nights, but due to a problem with our car hire, we ended up staying 8 nights and had to re-plan the rest of our trip on the spot. During this (often stressful) time, all the staff (and I mean ALL the staff) were so incredibly friendly and helpful. They let us use their reception phones for free on numerous occasions, printed out maps, gave us change, booked us further nights at a discounted rate (and our room was already ridiculously cheap) and even checked in our flights online and gave us our boarding passes. The last action was done without being asked, they just suggested it and did everything for us.

Before arriving, we were concerned about the quality of the hotel due to how cheap the room was. We didn't need to worry. The hotel is in a fantastic location with access to BART (including the airport) just a two minute walk away as well as cable cars, street cars and buses all within easy walking distance. Chinatown is quite walkable and there are many other eating options.The rooms (we stayed in three in the end) were all very clean and well presented and the shared bathrooms were the same. We stayed during a sunny April spell and the temperature of the rooms was fine with an open window - they may be warm in the summer as there is no air conditioning.

Each morning, the hotel provided free muffins and coffee at reception. They don't seem to advertise this, but it is an example of the great little extras that are part of a stay at the Mosser. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yark07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
london
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The Mosser gives a great first impression - the location is unbeatable, smack bang in the middle of all the action. And the foyer very grand.
The room was bijou (a nice way of saying poky) but comfortable. Getting the shower temperature right was like trying to crack a safe, but I really cannot think of any more complaints. It was a great bargain.

Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cathgray
Montreal
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Mosser. For those longing for a bit of charm on their holiday without pretention, this is a nice option. Rooms are modestly sized, well priced for the location and adequately furnished. I also like the hotel's environmentally conscious philosophy (Mosser Environment Corporation) and its wonderful history as a popular recording arts venue.

West Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I chose The Mosser because it was directly across the street from my conference hotel, and unlike the conference hotel, the Downtown SF Marriott, The Mosser met my government per diem rate, actually, beat it by 10 dollars. When I first walked into my room, I thought it might be small for a guy 6'4", 250. But in this case, size never became an issue. No A/C, just a ceiling fan, but I enjoyed being able to crack the window and listen to the sounds of the city (except the garbage truck one night). I was even entertained by the one drunk lady who was cussing everybody out somewhere outside at 2:00 a.m. Most of the staff people were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed conversations with the overnight security guard on mornings when i was enjoying the great coffee and muffins. I did suggest they might consider changing up the breakfast bread on a daily basis, because although the orange muffins were good, I was ready for something else on the second day of my stay. If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton, this one isn't for you. But if you're looking for a nice, comfortable place to stay at a good price/value, you should try The Mosser. I'm not sure if they have a room that would fit my family of four, but for one or two, it's great! I'd definitely go back!

1 Thank marcusmembrane
utah
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I have traveled at least once a month for 8 years for my previous company. I know travel, and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel. Although my work has booked me at worse motels. Since I was bringing my wife on this business trip I called the hotel that my work had booked for me in downtown SF to make sure it was a special room maybe on a corner, I was assured it was. When we walked into the lobby it was small but seemingly clean. When we entered our room it was a bit bigger than my office, ok no problem, but the room was filthy, the bed spread had burn holes and snags, the bed sat on a pedestal that was marked up and dusty dirty, the carpet was dingy and mashed down dirty. It was a horrible shock, we went downstairs to check out after finding another hotel close by that charged the same. I told the clerk we were checking out and his comment was you will have to pay for the first night; it was in the cancellation policy. Well I didn’t book the room my company did, so I looked down into my backpack for my reservations to see if that was true. When I looked back to the clerk I said I can't find my papers let me talk to your manager, he said "I just spoke with him and he said you have to pay for the first night." Wait a minute, I was standing right in front of him looking in my bag and he didn’t talk to anyone, I am thinking is this a joke? Wasn’t this a skit I had seen on Saturday Night Live with Chevy Chase? He gave me a key to another room we checked it out; it was cleaner but tiny still. We stayed the night but checked out in the morning. The hotel has a community bath for some of the rooms, for some this is ok, but this means constant traffic up and down the halls, ALL NIGHT LONG!! At 3 in the morning people were having full on conversations. Other co-workers were staying on another floor and complained of the same thing, traffic and talking in the halls all through the night. The windows were single pane and street traffic was easily heard. As we were headed up to our room we met a couple on the elevator who had just checked in, they were holding their box of chocolate peanut butter M&Ms that they received from the same front desk clerk that we checked in with. We didn’t say anything to them about our experience with the hotel, no need to be negative, they were beamingly happy with their box of chocolates, perhaps if we had received a $2 box of chocolates our $207 a night hotel stay would have been more pleasant. Oh yea, my wife nicknamed it the "Hosser."

6 Thank don_gallo
SE
Reviewed 10 June 2009

The hotel is very easy to find if your coming via the Bay Bridge, the neighbourhood is very good - well, it's 100 meters from Market St., BART (Powell St. station) is just around the corner, a major shopping center is 200 m away, so the location is great. Rooms are small (compared to other hotels we've been in), but well equipped, and, what's most important, VERY clean. Wireless is not free, but an Apple store is just around the corner (free internet!), and it's open until evening. Parking is a bit expensive (30$, >40$ for big SUV), but it's vallet parking, and you can save some $ by going to a public garage 500 m away. All in all, it was a very positive experience, and we'll be back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 7 June 2009

stayed here end of May 2009 for two nights.
Chose the Mosser for location, value and tripadvisor review.
The staff at reception are very helpful and polite and let us leave the car outside whilst we unloaded for ages! The rooms are very small but as long as you are tidy, it doesn't matter. Bathroom is perfectly adequate, and there is a sink in the room. there is also a great flat screen TV and a really lovely wall mounted CD/radio system.
Breakfast is minimal- chocolate chip muffins and tea/coffee
Location really is quite wonderful. The shops are all around the hotel and the tram lines are just outside.

The reason that I cannot rate this hotel higher is the noise. Our room was en suite but one wall backed on to the communal bathrooms and toilets. Everytime someone went to the loo in the night, I heard the door slam, the fan go on and the wonderful sound of men peeing. I have to say that I do sleep lightly and my boyfriend didn't stir at all. I think it would have been a lot more pleasurable if we had requested a different room. We also saw that some of the rooms were right next to the lift which would probably have been equally as noisy.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple