“Excellent location - Value and Clean.”
Review of The Mosser

The Mosser
Ranked #88 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Great location near Moscone Center and Union Square - easy to get around by foot. Rooms are clean and staff is wonderful. This was my fourth stay and I am ready to book another!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,389)

Reviewed 3 July 2009

I was in SF for a combination of work and pleasure and stayed in room 319 at the Mosser... and LOVED IT! I have stayed at many 4-5 star properties, and thought this property was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a long, long time.

The hotel is really two hotels - with some of the rooms being more affordable with shared baths, and the rest of the rooms truly in line with 4.5-star properties. My room had two bathrooms as well as a living room with sofabed, chair, large fridge and flat screen TV, and to the right of that was a bedroom with sliding glass pocket doors, an amazingly comfortable bed, two bay windows (totally SF!), one was a window seat and the other was a desk.

I think that this is a perfect hotel for group business travel - I remember looking across the street at what I think was the Marriott and just looking in the windows thinking how dreadfully boring their rooms were in comparison to the awesome and unique room I was in. Staying at the Mosser was like staying in a nice apartment with local flair, not like staying in a boring beige-box cubicle like most of the chain hotels out there.

I posted a video of my room on youtube - just go to youtube and search for "mosser room 319" and you'll see a video of the room that I uploaded from my iphone.... pretty neat since this was the first video I've done this with!

Oh, and by the way, I ate at a nearby restaurant called Oola that had the most amazing ribs I've ever tasted in my life.... try them out.

2  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Small room, single with sink $119 ($135 w/tax) booked online. Shared toilets & bath/shower. No air conditioning, but overhead 3-speed fan cools it off. There's nothing remotely "Victorian" about the furnishings - it's all very modern (or is it "post modern"?) functional with uninspiring little framed print scribbles on the walls, drably colored bedspreads and basic white linens as well as walls. It's OK if you need to stay downtown & can't find anything better for the price, but I've since found much better hotel values nearby.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank RPF49
Reviewed 25 June 2009

As we were staying at the Mosser, we were already composing TA reviews in our heads as we knew we just had to tell everyone how great it was. The main reason? The people! Our stay was meant to be 4 nights, but due to a problem with our car hire, we ended up staying 8 nights and had to re-plan the rest of our trip on the spot. During this (often stressful) time, all the staff (and I mean ALL the staff) were so incredibly friendly and helpful. They let us use their reception phones for free on numerous occasions, printed out maps, gave us change, booked us further nights at a discounted rate (and our room was already ridiculously cheap) and even checked in our flights online and gave us our boarding passes. The last action was done without being asked, they just suggested it and did everything for us.

Before arriving, we were concerned about the quality of the hotel due to how cheap the room was. We didn't need to worry. The hotel is in a fantastic location with access to BART (including the airport) just a two minute walk away as well as cable cars, street cars and buses all within easy walking distance. Chinatown is quite walkable and there are many other eating options.The rooms (we stayed in three in the end) were all very clean and well presented and the shared bathrooms were the same. We stayed during a sunny April spell and the temperature of the rooms was fine with an open window - they may be warm in the summer as there is no air conditioning.

Each morning, the hotel provided free muffins and coffee at reception. They don't seem to advertise this, but it is an example of the great little extras that are part of a stay at the Mosser. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yark07
Reviewed 15 June 2009

The Mosser gives a great first impression - the location is unbeatable, smack bang in the middle of all the action. And the foyer very grand.
The room was bijou (a nice way of saying poky) but comfortable. Getting the shower temperature right was like trying to crack a safe, but I really cannot think of any more complaints. It was a great bargain.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cathgray
Reviewed 15 June 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Mosser. For those longing for a bit of charm on their holiday without pretention, this is a nice option. Rooms are modestly sized, well priced for the location and adequately furnished. I also like the hotel's environmentally conscious philosophy (Mosser Environment Corporation) and its wonderful history as a popular recording arts venue.

Reviewed 14 June 2009

I chose The Mosser because it was directly across the street from my conference hotel, and unlike the conference hotel, the Downtown SF Marriott, The Mosser met my government per diem rate, actually, beat it by 10 dollars. When I first walked into my room, I thought it might be small for a guy 6'4", 250. But in this case, size never became an issue. No A/C, just a ceiling fan, but I enjoyed being able to crack the window and listen to the sounds of the city (except the garbage truck one night). I was even entertained by the one drunk lady who was cussing everybody out somewhere outside at 2:00 a.m. Most of the staff people were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed conversations with the overnight security guard on mornings when i was enjoying the great coffee and muffins. I did suggest they might consider changing up the breakfast bread on a daily basis, because although the orange muffins were good, I was ready for something else on the second day of my stay. If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton, this one isn't for you. But if you're looking for a nice, comfortable place to stay at a good price/value, you should try The Mosser. I'm not sure if they have a room that would fit my family of four, but for one or two, it's great! I'd definitely go back!

1  Thank marcusmembrane