“Good location and spacious room”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #43 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ottawa, Canada
“Good location and spacious room”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Good location and good sized room. Nice view of the bay. Partial view the New Years
Fireworks. I must say that this is the most underwhelming Le Meridien experience ever. The lobby was small and crowded. Checking in was a long wait. On site food options were limited and the rooms lacked basics amenities like a coffee maker or kettle. Might pick another hotel next time.

Room Tip: The bay view rooms are very good.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for writing a review about your last stay with Le Meridien. I appreciate the time it took to give us this valuable feedback.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your recent stay. We apolgize for the crowded lobby. I understand the inconvenience that can cause when you are trying to check in. This is especially true when you also have a long wait. We will review this for the future.

It is true that there are no coffee makers or tea kettles in the room. We offer the complimentary fresh brewed coffee in the restaurant during the mornings. However, we do still offer coffee makers and tea kettles that can be sent up at no charge if you prefer one in your room.

Please accept our apoligies. We do want you to have a great experience so we appreciate your feedback. It allows us to improve. Thank you.

RwilsonLSF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I had reviewed the hotel prior to arriving, it was my first time in San Francisco, upon arriving the hotel seemed nice the problem was once i got to the room, it had a bad smell to it, it was dark and no view despite being an upgrade and described as one, the front desk manager was very rude when asked to be moved to something without a smell, if it wasnt for the reservations manager who contacted me the next day i would have left.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time write a review about your recent stay. We do value your feedback and fine it very helpful. I am sorry about the bad smell in your room and that you did not have a view.

Thank you for letting us know that our reservation manager was able to help you out. We hope you enjoyed the new room. I am sorry though that it took a day to get back to you.

I want to let you know we are working with our housekeeping team to make sure rooms are odor free prior to people checking in to them.

Thank you again and please accept my apology.

RwilsonLSF
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I chose this hotel because of a great rate I found through Travelzoo, and I'm very happy I did. The location is great- walking distance to the Ferry Building and numerous public transportation options. I stayed two nights, Friday-Sunday, on the 14th floor and appreciated the partial Bay Bridge view (I was told that rooms on higher floors tend to have a bay view- the windows are huge and the room is laid out so that the window juts out at an angle so it seems as if you are in a corner room). I booked a room with double beds and found that the room and bathroom was larger than expected. I found the room to be very clean, and was very pleased with the friendliness of the front desk staff. The lobby decor is a bit dated, but I found the room decor to be quite nice. I believe there is free wifi in the lobby and at the business center, but did not use it at all, so I can't comment on the speed. The complimentary coffee and tea bar in the morning was comprehensive and very much appreciated.

To address the complaints of some other reviewers, I did hear some hallway noise during the night, but my room was near the elevator and was not terribly bothered by it. I didn't hear any noise from my next door neighbors. As for parking- you're in SF. Maybe I'm used to exorbitant NYC parking prices, but space is at a premium in such metropolitan areas, and property values are raised accordingly. This hotel is in the financial district, so if you're really not wanting to pay the $60/night for valet parking, street parking at meters are free at night (read signs carefully, some streets have street cleaning at night). At 7 AM on Saturday, when the meters become active at 7 AM, you can move your car to the Golden Gateway public parking garage (located on the next block) and park your car all day for $3 with a validation from the Saturday farmers' market at the Ferry Building (great place to grab a bite to eat) or dozens of other retailers in Chinatown. Alternatively, I believe the shopping complex next door to the hotel also offers 4 hours free parking with validation.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel, especially if you find a good rate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for partial bay views.
3 Thank JanetK228
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This review is my opinion of Le Meridien San Francisco, based on our stay there. Having stayed at Le Meridien in Budapest earlier this year, we expected a similar experience here in San Francisco, but we were disappointed. The front-end staff, including the valet, are less professional, evidenced by both their demeanor and appearance. They appear to be trained to a lower standard than their European counterparts.

We attempted to check in slightly after 3pm, the advertised check-in time, but neither of our two rooms were ready. Consequently, one room was "upgraded" to include a view and I was asked to leave my mobile number so that the staff could call me when the other room was ready, which was to be by 3:30pm. Of course, the call never came so I ended up having to go back to the front desk and wait in line to see the clerk to inquire about the other room, which by that time was ready. I was told that the reason I was not called was because "things got busy."

The rooms are okay, though the walls let sound through so you can actually make out entire conversations your neighbors are having. Some street noise makes its way in, even up to the 17th floor, but only the sirens are annoying. The Nakamichi CD player is a nice touch (it has an auxiliary input so you can plug in your player with a 1/4" plug). No refills on the small soap bars, shampoo, or plastic cups were provided throughout our stay, so bring your own. Our room had the banner that hangs on and describes the complimentary bottle of water, but no bottled water was ever present.

Had it not been for the fact that we were celebrating the recent marriage of my sister (one half of the other couple that was traveling with us), we would have checked into another place, where we feel more value could have been gotten for our hard-earned money.

Valet parking was a little over $60 a night. That seemed high to its. The valet directed us to park around the corner at a public parking, where we paid $32 a night.

Update: Although we never did get soap or plastic cup refills, we did finally get a complimentary water bottle in the room, on the third day. We stayed a total of four nights.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We appreciate the feedback and do find it very valuable.

I am sorry that the room was not ready on time. That is not something you want to experience especially when you did not receive the call back on the room when it was ready. We have address this in our regular training meetings to insure it doesn't happen in the future.

We are also working with the team about your valuable comments on the lack of amenities. This includes the missing water, cups and soaps.

Please accept our apology and thank you for your insite on this.

RWilsonLSF
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We got this hotel via Priceline so did not choose specifically. However could not have been more pleased. The service at front desk, Concierge and bell desk was fantastic. They even gave us a mid-level floor with a great floor. Location was great - near ferry building, cable cars and Elephant & Castle across the street.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
singapore
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed here (3 of us) and had a wonderful stay.

Location
The location is great- walking distance to union square, ferry building etc with easy access to the Montgomery station making it a great convenient base for our 1 week stay. The area gets quiet in the evening/night given it's a financial district but it's very safe vs. downtown where many homeless folks roam- so ladies, don't worry if you're on your own.

Room
The room is surprisingly big which was a real delight. We had 2 double beds and had plenty of room to walk around and have our luggage strewn around. We also have a partial view to the bay bridge which was nice. The housekeeping was also very polite to leave us thank you note for the tips we leave every morning.

Hotel staff
The hotel staff were really great and friendly. When we arrived a few hours before the check in time, we were prepared to just drop our luggage and go walk around downtown till 3pm but the front desk staff (can't remember the name- but it was 13th dec morning) was really kind to let us have a room and she also had great initiative to check us into the 2 double beds room to save us trouble from checking out from the 1 double bed room and checking in again as we wait for our 3rd friend to arrive next day. (Confusing? Never mind that! Just remember the staff is great! Cos that's the key point)

All in all, can't recommend enough to everyone to stay at this well appointed hotel.

Happy holidays everyone!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank brilliantcolors
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

It is pathetic that in 2013, when you can get free wifi at nearly every public place, hotels will still charge you for internet. I don't care how nice you can make your beds or how much you spent on the decorations in the lobby, if free internet is not included in your price, then your service sucks.

They even charge for internet in the lobby!!! Pathetic.

2 Thank 827julianp
kkehs1, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding our internet fees. We do charge for the internet in our guest rooms, however we do offer this service complimentary in our business center and on your personal devices in our Hub (Lobby).