“Very nice, but no coffee in the room”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #42 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Very nice, but no coffee in the room”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

While the lobby has gone modern contemporary, the rooms are pretty standard 4* business hotel rooms - both were fine. The bed was really comfortable. My room overlooked a courtyard/side street, so it was very quiet (high floor 20+ helped). Very comfortable bed, safe had a plug inside to charge things which is a nice touch. Rooms were large for SF, including a little sitting area. Fairly extensive gym area. About $250/nights, at a corporate discounted weekday rate. Check-in was pleasant; other than that, I didn't interact with the staff.

I too experienced union protesters with bullhorns in the am, but protests are constant about everything in SF, down to the Google buses. But I had to get up early for work anyway. The only bad thing I'd say was the coffee; there's no coffee maker in the room. Why one has to go down to the third floor to get coffee is beyond me, Illy coffee or not. Who wants to have to look semi-presentable just to get some java first thing?

1 Thank Prolix50
Troy g, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your comments. I see that you mentioned that we do not offer coffee makers in the rooms and while this is true i did want you to know that we do deliver the coffee makers to the rooms upon request at no charge. We also offer daily complimentary coffee in our resturant from 5:30am til 10:00am. Thanks again for the feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed here two nights and the location was great. This is right next to the embarcadero, so perfect for business. Close to great restaurants (a short walk from my favorite, Kokkari). And just a five minute walk from the Ferry Building. The room was spacious. We were on a high floor and had a great view of the bay. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get a high floor facing the water!
Colchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was what you would expect from something so close to the Financial District; clean, spacious and contemporary, but, and this is a big but, for the whole week I was there the hotel was woken up just after 7am by disgruntled either ex staff or union members shouting chants through bull horns aimed at the hotel management. Fortunately I was up most days before it started but it was at a volume that could not be ignored and for long enough for it to be annoying.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom T
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at this Le Meridian and had a very nice experience. The hotel rooms were nice, but a little outdated. We had a decent view of the SF Bay and the Bay Bridge with beautiful sunrises every morning!

We have never stayed in the financial district before, but we definitely will again. It's a quieter area to stay in than Union Square, but still just a few blocks away from everything. It's very convenient, and within easy walking distance to the Embarcadro, Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, and Chinatown.

It takes less than 5 minutes to walk to the Ferry Building where there are a lot of restaurants. You can also catch the ferry over to Sausalito from here.

I give this Starwood hotel 4 stars instead of 5 because of the outdated rooms, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013
Troy g, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. I was glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and the sunrise from your room. I have been lucky enough to also experience the sunrise at the Le Meridien and it is pretty amazing. Thanks again.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Such a great location, as a walking town, this hotel puts you in prime distance from major attractions and public transportation. The room was spacious and very grand. I was able to snag a great deal for a two night stay (I think it helped that it was on a weekend because of the hotels location being in the Financial District).

If you plan on doing a hop on/hop off tour, the Big Bus company has a stop right across the street from the hotel. The concierge was super helpful with recommendations and they are very hospitable in caring for your luggage in the event that your room isnt ready for an early check in.

I was also given free wifi when I checked in, which was fantastic because going into the stay it was my only real negative about the booking. Ive read a lot about this hotel nickle and diming people but that was not my experience. Great service, great room, would definitely stay again if i see a deal for this location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We often stayed at this hotel, when it was the Park Hyatt, and a few times, when it became the Le Meridien. Then, wife's corporate office moved to China Basin, and we usually stayed elsewhere. For this trip, we were back.

The location is great, and we walked to both Michael Mina's, and RN74. I had almost forgotten how convenient the location was.

The front-desk could not have been nicer, and one would think that we had been staying there for the last 30 trips to San Francisco.

The room was lovely, on the SPG VIP floor, with a very comfortable king bed, and great views. The "corner" room was nice, as it did allow for semi-panoramic views of the city - always nice in San Francisco.

There were no negatives, including my wife needing cabs to her meetings around the city.

The restaurant had been revamped, but I would have loved to see those offerings upgraded a bit. While there was a buffet, I am not into steam tables, and do not mind paying 3x the price, for menu items, if well prepared and very tasty. Service was better than the fare, and the room is very nice.

Both the check-in, and my check-out (late check-out honored, as our limo would not be arriving until about 2:00PM), were both perfect. The bell-staff were very good, and attentive. When my car arrived, they found me in the bar, and had everything ready to be loaded.

We would stay there again, if the meetings were in that area.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Beautiful, modern and clean hotel conveniently located, an 8 minute walk into the heart of the Financial District (Market Street). Only a few blocks from the Ferry Building to the East and Chinatown to the West. The room and bathroom were very spacious. Our corner unit with floor to ceiling windows had partial water views with beautiful sunrises in the morning.

I would stop at Specialty's Bakery a block away to pick up some steel-cut oats in the morning and then take them back to the hotel, to enjoy them with the free coffee and tea in the 3rd floor restaurant. You just plop down on one of the comfy couches, hack away on your tablet or watch some TV. No one will bother you. I'd definitely stay here again. Starwood remains one of my favorite chains.

Room Tip: We were jn room 2114 which was a corner unit with partial water views. Deluxe king bed. Quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple