“Expected elegance”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We have stayed in this chain in several cities in Europe, and LMSF is up to the chain's usual standards. The location is perfect--only a few blocks from the ferry port and the wharf. Only a couple niggles: the hotel should provide a modern single cup coffee maker, rather than force you to request an old-fashioned 4-cup pot. And the parking rates of $62 are high even for a big city hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for writing about your stay with us. We really appreciate it. I am glad you liked the location. I hope you had a lot of opportunities to explore all the fun things around us.

I am sorry you thought the parking was too expensive and thank you for the great suggestion on the coffee maker. We will look into these.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,113)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I spent two nights at the Le Meridien SF and came away very pleased. For a "classic" 70s/80s hotel building, they have done a good job keeping it fresh and hip. I found the location to be ideal although those who want to be in the middle of the action may not like it. This hotel is located in the financial district/Embarcadero area, which is much quieter and less crazy than the Union Square area. It was a short walk to the BART station and the Embarcadero/Ferry Building. I arrived at the Oakland airport and was comfy in my room after less than an hour of travel. No need for a car here unless you absolutely must have one as it costs $54 a night to park.

The rooms are humongous by San Francisco standards. Everything is comfortable and modern in the room. Great color schemes and a large, modern bathroom. Toiletries were nice and I appreciated the shower gel vs. soap only. Great lighted vanity mirror was included as well. There is a mini bar in the room chock full of expensive stuff but you can still shove a few of your own items in it if needed. The room has angled walls and windows so you can get some great views. We were on the 8th floor and had a nice view of the bay and the Bay Bridge.

The limited interaction with staff was perfectly fine although the check-in agent was frustrated by their lousy computer systems that crashed while checking me in and only activated one of the two keys. I didn't bother getting that fixed. I was able to check in a couple hours early (thank you!) so I didn't mind at all.

Overall, would stay here again in a heartbeat. The value was good given that this is San Fran. I actually liked being away from the action so if you like a more peaceful city environment you will like it here. Many of the surrounding restaurants are closed on the weekends so it can be extra quiet.

1  Thank everyshadeofblue
Troy g, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to welcome you back to Le Meridien on your next visit to San Francisco.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is one of my favorite hotels in SF. For a recent visit we received excellent service from registration to check out. I traveled with my mother for her birthday and even though it was a third party reservation they immediately upgraded our rooms and threw in a free breakfast to boot. The rooms offered a view of the bay at night and a fantastic view of subtle yet beautiful bay bridge light art show. We made good use of this amenity from the small balcony from my mother's room. One small quible is that there was no lock on the balcony door which might bother some people (my mother).
Even though the hotel is a bit away from some of the tourist sites, I prefer this location as it is quiet and easily accessible to
Union Square and the Ferry building. This is the fourth time I have stayed here and all stays have been comme il faut. I had actually meant to write a thank you note to the manager for their exceptional service, but I waited too long and decide to post this in lieu.
Finally, for an exceptional dining experience walk three blocks to RN74 on Mission for a superior meal.

• Stayed: January 2014
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for letting us know about your last stay at Le Meridien. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your room and the location. We are happy you received the uprade and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Location is probably one of the best assets for this hotel. 5 mins from the clock tower. The dinning room is also fairly attractive. The lobby is small but cosy, where the staff were very welcoming and helpful. The hotel rooms are nicely decorated, and the beds very comfy. The bathrooms were a little dated but in good condition. Valet parking is available but there are plenty of public parking options available for half the cost of valet. Street parking is also an option and secure. We got a great deal through priceline which was impossible to refuse. Would come back.

1  Thank is0lde
Troy g, Front Office Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We arrived at the hotel a bit prior to the posted check in and the staff was kind and accommodating our request to check in early. Pouring rain and a long flight delay made us eager to change out of wet clothes and the front desk was most accommodating. Our room was quite nice, the best part was the luxurious bed. High end sheets, expensive pillows and a mattress we didn't want to leave, everything was perfect. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. You can't beat this location if you want to be close to the water and walk to the Ferry building. We have stayed here before a few years ago and it is one of our favorite hotels. We booked through a third party website and were pleased that we were lucky enough to get this hotel. The price was fair and the value enormous when you consider the location and amenities. The fitness room was plentiful, they provide head phones, and lots of options for equipment. We are returning again in March and this will be our preferred hotel if the price is right. We had a room on the 15th floor, a bit close to the elevator, it didn't bother us, but if you are sensitive to noise, ask to be further away. Valet parking is expensive, but in this location, parking is a premium. If you can utilize BART, then you won't have any issues as the station is quite close and an easy walk.

Room Tip: We liked being on the 15th floor, and I'm sure higher would be nice as well. If you don't l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review of your recent stay. We are very happy you enjoyed the stay. I agree--the beds are very comfortable. It is great that you had a chance to enjoy them. Thank you again and hope to see you on your return visit to town.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I stayed here on a business trip and upon arrival, the woman at the front desk was a bit snooty but I was, quite frankly, too exhausted to notice after a long and horrible flight from EWR. The room however, was nicely appointed with a huge kind sized bed, a flat screen TV and a lovely balcony. If the weather had been warmer, it would've been great to sit out with a nice drink and book or morning coffee. There was also a nice view of the Bay Bridge, of which I snapped a few pictures. I was only at the hotel for a short stay and didn't get the chance to take advantage of the 3rd floor free coffee in the mornings. The hotel was only a block and a half away from where I had to be for work and that made it quite appealing. It's in a business district so I don't know that it would be great for folks there soley for vacation. But really, it's hard to find a bad place to stay in San Francisco given the diversity of the city.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for your review about your recent stay. We really appreciate the feedback.

I am sorry about the staff attitude you experienced during your check in. We will definitely use this as a point of training.

I am glad you enjoyed the views and I hope the photos you took of the bridge turned out great. It is nice to hear that the location was convenient oft you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences with us.

RandyW LSF

Reviewed 8 February 2014

As a Starwood member, I was given a corner room so room was spacious with a big bathroom, which we appreciate. Room came with a nice view of San Francisco city with free wifi. Enjoyed chatting with the concierge. Both times, they were helpful and informative.

Areas to improve on:
1) The cupboard needs to be replaced. It's outdated and doesn't match the modern decor of the room.
2) Housekeeping was very annoying. Kept knocking on our door to clean the room. Even called our room to ask when can they come into the room to clean up. I don't care what time the cleaner needed to go back, management should train their staff to be more discreet and respect the privacy of its guests. Stop thinking of your own convenience. Start thinking of providing a better experience for guests staying at your hotel. After all, Le Meridien is a four star hotel. These stuff are pretty basic.
3) Reception at checkout was not professional. Kept herself busy keying in things into her computer instead of greeting us right away. Again, basic training. She should learn to put whatever she chose to busy herself with and greet each & every guest approaching the counter and assist them right away. I waited a couple of minutes for her to acknowledge us. Also, when we approached the reception counter for check out, she was chatting away with 2 other staff so she was obviously not that busy. Unprofessional behaviour.
4) The bellman who was chatting with the receptionist also needed training on customer service. He was friendly and asked if we needed to keep our bags at the concierge. I answered but he could not hear me. Then he asked "yes or no?" I thought the proper way to go about this was "I beg your pardon" or something along the line that's more polite.
5) Coffee at the cafe during limited hours was not convenient and pointless. We did not drink any as it was not available by 10am everyday. Annoying inconvenience.

Due to the hotel's high demand, I feel the management slacked in training their staff. Please try harder.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mulberry79
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at Le Meridien. We appreciate your feedback and find it very valuable. I am sorry about the issues you had with housekeeping and the number of times you were disturbed. I am also sorry about the attention you received at the front desk. We definitely will take this into account during our future training sessions.

I am pleased to here about the great experience you had with our concierge staff. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences.
Rwilsonlsf