“comfortable stay, but a bit overpriced”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I stayed here when I accompanied my husband when he was attending a conference. Due to this big conference in town, the price of the hotel obviously went up, as the hotel was good, but definately overpriced this particular week.

The hotel is conveniently located in the financial district, close to the ferry terminal. The rooms are not overly big, but we were out a lot anyway. The bathroom was OK, although the shower was a bit low for tall people like me, which makes washing my hair always a challenge. Also, I am not a big fan of showercurtains, as this always gives an old fashioned impression.

The hotelservice in general was good; laundry was done quick, roomservice was fast as well, the staff was helpfull and friendly.

The bed was simply heavenly, it was sizeable, and the matrass was just very comfi plus there were several types of pillows to choose from in the room.

Would I stay here again? For the location and the bed definately, but not at this roomrate; for that money, I want to have the wow-experience, and although our stay was good and I feel positive about the hotel, it did not 'wow' me.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Emma S, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

We truly appreciate the time you have taken to leave us a review. We are pleased to hear you and your husband had an enjoyable stay but we are disappointed to hear that we did not ‘wow’ you. I regret that the room did not quite exceed your expectations but it is good to hear you found the bed comfortable. I am pleased to hear our dedicated team took such good care of you during your stay. Our pricing like most hotels is based on demand and as you mentioned that was a particular week when a large conference was taking please which caused all the hotels in the local area to have a small increase in price due to the high demand. Hopefully you can come and stay for pleasure during a quieter week so we can change your impression and ‘wow’ you!

Many Thanks,
Emma S
Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We just had the pleasure of spending eight nights at Le Meridien, located on Clay and Battery in San Francisco's Financial District. We found the location to be perfect for what we wanted to do, which was explore the city by foot mostly. It is within four to six blocks of the Ferry Building, Embarcadero, Coit Tower, China Town and Union Square. Our room was fabulous, located on the 24th floor with a corner window that gave us a view of the city and the bay. The room offered everything you could ask for - wonderful bed, spacious and modern bathroom, tv and internet, plenty of storage space, etc. The service was also superb. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants some true luxury on their next trip to San Francisco.

Room Tip: The higher in the building the better the view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This hotel is overpriced and over rated, which I guess is to be expected from a downtown hotel. Check in was long, they only had 1 check in person and way too many people in the check in line. We overheard the check in person upgrading both the people in front of us to suites, so we asked for one too when we got up to the front. Of course, when we asked, he told us “Our hotel is sold out tonight, so we have no rooms to upgrade you to”. They originally gave us a double bed room, when we wanted 1 bed. We did insist on just having 1 bed, so they did end up upgrading us to a "Starwood member preferred room". As he handed us the key, he said “Enjoy your celebrity status”, so we were expecting a nice room. The rooms here are soo small, cramped and dirty. I can’t imagine how much a regular classic room would have been if this is a preferred room. The bathroom was tiny and the light switch was hanging off the hinges, which is probably a health hazard. (Uploaded a picture of this).

When we got to our room, we saw the maid outside with her cart of extra towels and supplies, so we asked her if it was possible for us to have an extra towel and conditioner. She told us we needed to call housekeeping, which makes no sense, since she was standing right there. But that seemed to be the attitude of the staff at this hotel; they weren’t very friendly or helpful. We had forgotten our toothpaste, and at most hotels, it is free. At this hotel, they charge $6.

Overall, this hotel was disappointing and we would definitely not stay here again. The night before we stayed here, we stayed at a lower level hotel and their hotel way exceeded Le Meridien, which is supposed to be a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SuzieQ154
RandyWLSF, Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for writing and letting us know about your experience with us. First and foremost, please accept my sincerest apologies for the unsatisfactory experience you had during your time with us. Please know that what you describe here is not the level of service expected of our employees and our product.

Our expectation is that we give high service to all our guests and we clearly did not live up to that. I will share the service issues with the team to help us in training the staff on better ways to give outstanding service. We will absolutely review your comments as we work to improve.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the light switch. This has already been fixed since reading your comments.
We hope that you will give us another try and let us prove this to you during your next trip to San Francisco.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. It was a bit pricey. My only real issue was that I chose the "green option" in that they do not make up the room or change sheets each day, which was fine because I'm fairly tidy and clean anyway,but IN EXCHANGE I was given a voucher for a free continental breakfast each morning. One morning, I asked and was told I could substitute an omelet for the difference in price with the continental breakfast - about 3 dollars or so. So I ordered coffee and juice, which came with the continental breakfast, only to be informed afterwards my bill, without tip, came to about $25.00 and some odd cents, because the coffee and juice were NOT included with the omelet. Let's just say that coffee and juice at Le Meridian is a bit overpriced in my view. No big deal but I think it was a bit misleading.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The staff here are OUTSTANDING!! They are very knowledgeable and eager to assist. Everytime we exited or entered the building there was a doorman to greet us and open the door. The conceriege staff was on point with their information regarding the local activities. This of course aided us in enjoying the beautiful city of San Francisco and surrounding areas and sites. My husband and I truly enjoyed ourselves.
The ambiance was wonderful. I loved the music playing softly all the time. The room was a bit small but very nice and well kept. I would stay at the Le Meridien again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which gave us a nice view of the bay bridge. It was relatively quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We are locals and got a great deal on Expedia mobile at the last minute. The location is perfect for exploring the city. The rooms are large and comfy with plenty of space. Easy access to Bart as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy B
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is very swanky and in a great location downtown. The hotel offers easy access to many local attractions in San Fran. Check-in was seamless and easy and the staff was very friendly. The hotel was very quiet at night which is a huge plus for those of us that value our sleep. The beds are comfortable and the rooms “appear” to be clean at first glance. However, it has its flaws. The hotel could benefit from a much needed quality check. Upon arrival, our beds appeared to have been rolled in….very lumpy dumpy looking and the mattress was exposed due to the maid not making up the beds properly. The beds were missing the flat sheet; the hotel immediately took care of that issue. The amount of hair that was in our “cleaned” room was disgusting. We spent the first 30 minutes cleaning before we felt comfortable!

I would give Le Meridien another chance in hopes that the minor issues experienced, don’t happen again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends