“Great stay at Le Meridien SF” 4 of 5 bubbles

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #49 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York
“Great stay at Le Meridien SF”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2007

I visited Le Meridien for a long weekend, 6/21 - 6/24 and found that my expectations of the hotel were fully met.

After a long flight from New York we chose to take a taxi from SF International Airport at a cost of $35.00 for the 20 minute car ride to the Financial Center, where Le Meridien is located. As previously mentioned, the BART train does stop nearby somewhere along adjacent The Embarcadero Center.

Check-in was fast and courteous.

We booked a "Studio Room", #1906, which had great views of the bay and the city, a separate sitting area separated by a large TV credenza, and the most comfortable bed I've slept in, other than my own Temperputic mattress. Bathroom was spacious, with good basic ammenities, a separate tub, and shower. Room was kept very clean, although turn-down service only happened one night.

We chose to go out to eat for every meal, except for in-room breakfast our first morning. Service was prompt and accurate, and food was good; all at the usual elevated hotel prices.

San Francisco is a city easy to navigate, partly because it's only 7 x 7 miles (hence the San Francisco 49ers!), and we found that Le Meridien was centrally located for either walking (which we love), taking one of the electric-powered buses, grabbing a cab, or even the Trolley.

Everyone at the hotel was friendly, and courteous, specially Angela @ Conceirge services. She was always pleasantly helpful with reservations and directions, and even helped us rent a car for a great day out in Sausalito and Muir Woods.

All in all, I was very happy with my stay at the Le Meridien San Francisco, and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Location
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank RanAndNess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Korean first
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2007

It was tough deciding where to stay in San Francisco, but my husband and I were extremely happy with our decision with Le Meridien. We let the front desk know that we were on our anniversary trip along with the fact that it was our first time away from our 2 year old. The lady at the front said that she had a great room for us. When we got to our room, we were on the 17th floor and ended up with a suite! The room was gorgeous. That evening when we got back to our room, we had a bottle of champagne and cheese and crackers. This hotel was in a great location for us and wasn't overcrowded. The area is pretty quiet on the weekends, but we were okay with that. The hotel is close to the Ferry Building and if you are going to be around for the weekend, check out the Farmer's Market - it was awesome!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClevelandSharkey
Vancouver, BC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

We booked through the hotel website, and found a good rate (AAA -- $267 per night) for their bay view king, for 6 nights.

Check-in was the fastest I'd ever experienced at any hotel.

Our room was immaculate, and the view of the bay (from our 19th floor
room) was spectacular. The somewhat unusual footprint of the building
(with stellate margins) gives every room the impression that it is a corner room. The room was quiet, despite the presence of other guests
on both sides of us (as evidenced by their "private" tags on the doors).

The bed was very comfy (I think it was one of those "bowling ball" mattresses). There was plenty of storage space for two people, and we appreciated that the television was hidden in the cabinet when not in use. The bathroom was spacious, and had the usual amenities one would expect from a hotel of this price point. Surprisingly, there was also a bathroom scale, which yielded somewhat disconcerting
results after almost a week of (too) good eating in San Francisco.

Our only deficiency, a very minor one, was that there was just one bathrobe in the room, even though we had made the reservation for two occupants. This oversight was corrected promptly.

Breakfast was included in our package, and, with the supplied coupon,
one could order anything off their extensive breakfast menu (up to a value of $31 per person -- the unused portion of the coupon going to the servers as tip). The food was very good, but we wouldn't have eaten here if it wasn't included. It's quite pricey.

The is free coffee/tea in the lobby lounge every morning until 9 am.

The hotel is centrally located, just across the street from the Embarcadero center, and a few minutes walk from the Muni/BART station. In less than 15 minutes walk, one can get to the Ferry Building and both North Beach and Chinatown. Several different city buses also pick up right around the hotel. Interestingly, the room key gains admittance to the Yerba Buena art gallery, as the hotel has some sort of partnership with it.

We checked out the fitness centre downstairs, and found it to be well
equipped (free weights and machines), with a supply of water and
towels.

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel, and would definitely come again, particularly if we were able to match our rate again.

• Liked — the room and the location
  • Disliked — dark lobby & expensive breakfast menu
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank YC-YVR
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2007

This is a great hotel, but I have to say that closing the hotel restaurant for dinner each night substantially reduces the value of this hotel, in my view. I don't feel like walking around the city's financial district with business associates trying to find a quiet restaurant after a long and tedious working day. I was told by the hotel staff that I could "eat in the bar," but who in the heck wants to have a nice meal in the bar? At a hotel of this caliber and price, I would expect full service. It is not, and I will not go back.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank silly101
Phoenix
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2007

We stayed for our anniversary and had an amazing view of the Bay. The room was perfect. The staff was courteous. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else the next time we're in town.

• Liked — The view
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2007

Based on the reviews posted on both tripadvisor and expedia, I booked 2 rooms at Le Meridian for 3 nights during the memorial day weekend. Both rooms are quite clean and spacious. My parents’ room was at the corner, which is larger and has a great bay view whereas ours doesn’t have any views. And indeed, the beds are super comfortable. One night, when my husband tried to close the sliding door in our room, the door got stuck. Only moment after he called the help desk, the maintenance person came to help and it only took few minutes for him to fix the door. We were very impressed. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay, the staffs were very courtesy and attentive. I will definitely return to this hotel if I need to stay in the same area next time. (Speaking of parking, since it was long weekend, we were able to park our cars on the street for two nights free.)

• Liked — clean, spacious room with views, courtesy and attentive staffs
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2007

This property exceeded all of my expectations. From the HUGE room size to the view, to the FANTASTIC customer service. It was conveniently located across the street from my office yet seemed to exude much more personality than most of your standard business hotels. The view from my corner room was simply wonderful. My room included the bedroom area as well as a separate office, two points of egress to the balcony and a very, very well appointed bathroom. I indicated to the concierge that I only had a small amount of time to enjoy the immediate area, and they went out of their way to arrange transportation around the city and then to two fantastic restaurants, one for lunch and one for dinner. Excellent. Note that I have usually stayed at the Four Seasons in the past and I enjoyed my room and the service at Le Meridien much, much more.

I look forward to visiting SF again soon (one of my favorite cities in the world) and returning to Le Meridien.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MichelleNewYork