My colleague and I had been traveling nonstop for several weeks, and we always lamented that our standard corporate Hiltons and Sheratons were a bit boring. Fortunately, our company sponsored hotel in San Francisco was booked, so we checked out the Phoenix!
The location is give-and-take - it's near the Civic Center BART stop, but the surrounding area is a tad, um, gritty. I didn't feel unsafe at any point, but my colleague was solicited by an, ahem, lady of the night while waiting for a cab at 5:30 AM the next morning. Definite plus - the hotel has ample free parking!
Check-in was a tad sluggish due to only one agent and a constantly ringing phone, but the agent was very friendly and made plenty of dinner suggestions and cheerfully arranged a cab for us. The adjacent courtyard/pool area is vibrant and fun with plenty of lounge chairs and dining/drinking area nearby. I was concerned that this would be loud at night, but, fortunately, it was dead silent (but, I was there on a Wednesday night!).
The room was tropical in theme and had virtually everything needed. The bed was comfortable, and the in-room local coffee was fantastic. The bathroom was clean, yet it did lack counter space for personal items. The ceiling fan was a great touch to circulate the air given the hotel doesn't have air conditioning (not that it was needed). The only bad part - the room seriously smelled like incense. I got used to it, but it is overpowering at first.
Overall, it was fun - I wish we had time to check out the pool and bar, but perhaps another time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Funky, irreverent, and young-at-heart, The Phoenix Hotel caters to touring bands and travelers with a creative spirit. A 44 room mid-century motor lodge with a lush courtyard and heated outdoor pool. It's an oasis in the heart of San Francisco on the edge of the gritty Tenderloin and three blocks from City Hall. Guests get complimentary wifi, complimentary onsite parking (one car per room) and complimentary passes to the Kabuki Springs and Spa (Monday - Friday). Show casing original sculptures from local artists in the courtyard gardens, and a one of kind mural in the swimming pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Phoenix Hotel SF reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phoenix Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix San Francisco