“My new spot to stay in San Francisco”

Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #17 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Cruz, California
“My new spot to stay in San Francisco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

If I had to rate the hotel based purely on the clerk who was there when I arrived and the clerk who was there in the morning when I checked out, this place would get five stars. Stacy and Taylor treated me like we were old friends and made me feel at home immediately.

I live in Santa Cruz -- just far enough away from San Francisco that I want to spend the night when I go there. On my previous visits to the city I stayed in another hotel that was just fine but my friend wanted to try something different so we gave this place a try. So glad we did.

The room was so nice and so clean. One of the reasons that I can't give a 5 star is the fact that they had no refrigerator. But honestly, that was literally the only problem I had with the room. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and had character that made it seem like I wasn't just staying at any old room.

While some people might be put off by the location, I am not. Though I could see why some people might be intimidated walking off of the property. My group of friends walked down to the road to the Bill Graham Civic to see a show and we didn't feel nervous. Just remember that you are away from home and take normal precautions.

Chambers was a nice little restaurant/bar. The food and drinks were great, the service -- not so much. We were in a hurry to to get to our show and we told our server that but it still took too long for the crowd that they had.

While I didn't use them, the pool and patio were incredible. I can't wait for a reason to be out here during the late summer or autumn. San Francisco is beautiful then.

One other bummer is the thin walls and windows. I was hearing the people walking around outside early morning. Personally I live next to an elementary school so the noise doesn't bother me too much, but it would have been nice not to have it.

All in all a legit place. It looks cool from the outside and doesn't disappoint when you get in.

Stay at the Phoenix. I know that I will whenever I spend time in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Chico, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

The Phoenix has been our place in SF for 20+ years. The whole look and feel of the Phoenix is the classic American tropical motel with a very cool, welcoming party atmosphere throughout. The rooms each have a unique artistic theme. The pool is a beautiful ode to artists and is very well heated!! The front desk staff are always top-notch and the clientele is a great mix of travelers, some families and musicians on the road. The neighborhood can be a little frisky, but not much worse than anywhere in SF.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Phoenix_mgmt, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Fred S,

It's always a true pleasure welcoming back our loyal guests to the Phoenix. We pride ourselves in providing outstanding service here, year after year, and value guest input as the key to keeping the hotel experience fresh and satisfying. I'm very grateful to you for sharing your thoughts on TripAdvisor and look forward to exceeding your expectations upon your next visit!

Cheers & Happy Holidays ~

~ Luke S.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have stayed in San Francisco for business on a number of occasions before and I have tired of bland or stuffy business hotels, so looked for a quirky one instead - and hit the jackpot with the Phoenix, Chosen mainly because the Psychedelic Furs were included as previous guests on the website, the only disappointment was that Richard Butler and fellow band members weren't there at the same time. The rooms were large and clean with a very comfy bed, the pool area and bar have a nice cool vibe and the reception staff and really friendly and helpful. Yes, the area is on the ropey side, but you can skirt around the dodgier area - even in a suit I didn't feel too threatened any point. If you fancy something a bit different, this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Martin B,

We're so happy to hear that the Phoenix Hotel "suited your fancy". Over the past year, we have worked diligently in renovations to guest rooms and facilities. Like a good old suit newly pressed and tailored, The Phoenix Hotel has modern comforts, a vintage style, and feels right - even if it is a little bit funky. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, and we look forward to welcoming you back sometime down the road.

Cheers & Happy Holidays!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This hotel was really cool. The decor was interesting in the rooms and made it feel very homey... and there's a pretty swanky pool. Though it was a bit too chilly to swim when we were there, it just looked nice all lit up at night.

The bar/restaurant Chambers seems like a pretty hot spot. We went there both nights for a night cap and it was pretty busy. The "fireplace" outside is a nice for escaping the crowd though.

The hotel itself is in an interesting area... It's a short walk from the BART. It's in Little Siagon which is great for food. And there are bars and restaurants nearby on Polk. I would just say don't walk due east. The hotel's courtyard is fenced in so you feel pretty safe.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phoenix_mgmt, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear hermanator103,

We appreciate your candid thoughts on your experience here at the Phoenix. While it's true that our hotel and its updated decor may be considered 'cool' - we mostly pride ourselves in providing warm service, a heated pool, and... well, plenty of heat in the rooms :) Each stay at the Phoenix is a chance to connect to something or someone new, and refresh the senses. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Merrick, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

If it were a rating of location - you would see one star, if it were a rating of the hotel service and property alone you would see 5 stars. If you don't mind walking through some drug deals and a bunch of drunk homeless people, the location won't bother you. Once you close the gate into the property though- you are in a real vacation place. The service is impecible, the hotel is beautiful, the bar over by the pool in the property is a lot of fun and we even met some nice people. Overall I do recommend it but to be honest, I don't know if I would go there again because I didn't feel safe walking around alone in the location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SaritaKim,

We truly appreciate you sharing your honest feedback with others. You can rest assured that we here at the Phoenix Hotel share your concern for the street life in the neighborhood, as it is a weight that we all feel. Over the past 20 years, the Phoenix has raised over 3.6 million dollars in support of the Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Coalition to help build a healthier community. We are also actively working with the City of San Francisco to keep our surrounding blocks clean and safe. Our resolve to in these efforts is as steadfast as ever.

It's certainly true that the neighborhood is not without its challenges, yet we consider it to be a hidden jewel given the rich array of historical buildings, art galleries, eateries, music venues, and public transportation options available within six blocks of our hotel. Additionally, the Phoenix front desk staff is on hand 24 hours a day to assist guests with viable walking routes to any nearby destination. As always, our intention is to provide an urban retreat here: a safe, relaxing, one-of-a-kind oasis conveniently located in downtown San Francisco. While everyone's comfort level with the surrounding streets varies, we do our very best to make our hotel feel like a home.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime.

Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Love love love the Phoenix! Funky, fun and reasonably priced. It's my go to hotel in San Francisco. Staff are always super friendly. Rooms always clean. I always recommend to my friends when they are planning a trip to The City.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Phoenix_mgmt, Front Office Manager at Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Mistypalms P,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write about the Phoenix Hotel. We're excited about the new amenities and comforts we've added to guest rooms, but at the heart of everything is our staff and collective commitment to enhance each guest's experience in any way we can. Thanks again and we'll see you very soon!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

the Phoenix is a fine place to stay in the city, particularly if you want to be a bit off the typical hotel grid. Everybody comments on the gritty neighborhood, which it is, but the hotel has an easy, relaxed vibe, comfortable beds, very cool outdoor swimming pool (which nobody uses! come on, people - its heated!), very friendly and helpful staff, and excellent restaurant and bar. oh, and Brenda's is right down the block for a great NO / soul food inspired breakfast (they say French soul food, but the only thing French on the breakfast menu is the toast....). Back to the hotel - rooms are nice, price is right, bar and restaurant attached to hotel is great and, if you have a rental car - you park for free in the "motel" parking lot. what's not to like?

Room Tip: Get a King Suite or, if you can, the Headliner!