If I had to rate the hotel based purely on the clerk who was there when I arrived and the clerk who was there in the morning when I checked out, this place would get five stars. Stacy and Taylor treated me like we were old friends and made me feel at home immediately.
I live in Santa Cruz -- just far enough away from San Francisco that I want to spend the night when I go there. On my previous visits to the city I stayed in another hotel that was just fine but my friend wanted to try something different so we gave this place a try. So glad we did.
The room was so nice and so clean. One of the reasons that I can't give a 5 star is the fact that they had no refrigerator. But honestly, that was literally the only problem I had with the room. It was clean, spacious, comfortable and had character that made it seem like I wasn't just staying at any old room.
While some people might be put off by the location, I am not. Though I could see why some people might be intimidated walking off of the property. My group of friends walked down to the road to the Bill Graham Civic to see a show and we didn't feel nervous. Just remember that you are away from home and take normal precautions.
Chambers was a nice little restaurant/bar. The food and drinks were great, the service -- not so much. We were in a hurry to to get to our show and we told our server that but it still took too long for the crowd that they had.
While I didn't use them, the pool and patio were incredible. I can't wait for a reason to be out here during the late summer or autumn. San Francisco is beautiful then.
One other bummer is the thin walls and windows. I was hearing the people walking around outside early morning. Personally I live next to an elementary school so the noise doesn't bother me too much, but it would have been nice not to have it.
All in all a legit place. It looks cool from the outside and doesn't disappoint when you get in.
Stay at the Phoenix. I know that I will whenever I spend time in the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Funky, irreverent, and young-at-heart, The Phoenix Hotel caters to touring bands and travelers with a creative spirit. A 44 room mid-century motor lodge with a lush courtyard and heated outdoor pool. It's an oasis in the heart of San Francisco on the edge of the gritty Tenderloin and three blocks from City Hall. Guests get complimentary onsite parking and a poolside coffee, tea and muffins to start the day. Art from local artists decorates the rooms and the courtyard gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Phoenix Hotel, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Phoenix Hotel, a Joie De Vivre Hotel Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix Hotel San Francisco
- Phoenix San Francisco