“We will only stay at The Phoenix”
Review of Phoenix Hotel SF

Phoenix Hotel SF
Ranked #20 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Felton, CA
“We will only stay at The Phoenix”
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Our very favorite place to stay in San Francisco. Known as the Rock and Roll Hotel, The Phoenix is a true oasis in the middle of the bustling city. This was our second visit to The Phoenix Hotel. My family won't stay anywhere else! What a fun place. What an incredible staff! Especially helpful is front office manager Diana Weech. We had tickets for Wicked on April 30 and, of course, we booked The Phoenix, having had a wonderful time there the previous November. Our 20 year old daughter loves The Phoenix!

Yes, The Phoenix is in the Tenderloin, you wouldn't want to go wandering out alone at night but we feel perfectly safe at The Phoenix. Once you enter the private courtyard at The Phoenix, you're in another world!

Here's what you get: An incredibly clean, comfortable room, with lovely furnishings, wifi, in-room coffee, as well as a nice complimentary breakfast in the morning AND a very reasonable rate. Add in the superlative assistance at the front desk, a great pool and lounge area with fun statuary around, a relaxed, casual atmosphere, the occasional rock star and you have a recipe for a delightful get-away. And did I mention that there is free, and safe, parking?

If you need anything, a simple call to the front desk takes care of it. Staff makes each and every guest feel special and welcome. As a member of the Joy of Life Club, we had a split of Chardonnay waiting for us when we arrived as well as a greeting card from the staff welcoming us to The Phoenix again.

We also enjoyed a superb dinner at the Bambuddha prior to our show. They offer a blend of small and large plates and make it easy for a family to enjoy many different dishes. If you enjoy Asian fare, give the Bambuddha a try. You'll be glad you did.

We already have another trip to SF planned in July so we'll be back to The Phoenix Hotel! Don't miss this gem on your next visit to San Francisco. We recommend The Phoenix to our friends visiting SF.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank memorysgone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 1 May 2009

This is a hidden gem indeed! Old 50's caravan lodge reinvented to a hotspot!
I had been to the lounge for drinks and good music before and adored it. This time around we stayed there for a night away from the kids.
It has a cool rock n roll edge. There was a band staying while we were there.
It is fun to look at, nicely decorated, comfortable and so affordable.
We would definately go back. We had no complaints. A few guests were having some late night fun late but I am not put off that, makes the place more fun.
Some street noise as this is in a busy area. The neighborhood although not the best was fine, we had no problems and walked around for a drink at Temple Bar around the corner.

I really liked the look and feel of this place!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Rapid City, SD
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I would stay at the Phoenix again. As mentioned in previous reviews, the neighborhood was dicey. My friend, my child and I walked from the end of the street car line, at Market Street to the hotel. No one harassed us or anything, but we were uncomfortable. I volunteer with the homeless, so my inclination is to take people where they are, but I was intimidated. The Phoenix is an oasis. The courtyard is great, the room colorful and clean. I love the ceramic coffee mugs and glass water glasses instead of wretched Styrofoam and plastic cups. I brought my own coffee, because one never knows, but the coffee was not the usual bad tasting stuff found in most hotel rooms. We were only there one night, but I would definitely come back to the Phoenix. Luke and Matt at the front desk were helpful, bright and cheerful. Breakfast was fresh and tasty.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank carmenveranda
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We loved this hotel and our brief stay there. We would definitely come back. The courtyard is beautiful and inviting, with birds, flowers and a tropical appeal. The staff were amazingly helpful and took a genuine interest in their guests. The rooms were comfortable and well-appointed. Breakfast, sitting in the courtyard, was also great. I especially loved that this hotel did not feel like a chain and felt unexpected and personal. The parking was convenient. Although I was warned not to walk down Eddy St., we did walk toward the Civic Center and felt entirely comfortable. From there it was easy to catch a bus and explore the city. Lastly, on our way out of the city, the young woman at the front desk suggested a detour to drive down the crookedest street, which we did and enjoyed.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Gold coast
Reviewed 7 April 2009

what a fantastic 4 days I spent in San Fran just recently, made all the better from staying at the Pheonix Hotel. Right from the start the welcome was tops, very friendly staff greeted me and the welcome was quick and painfree. When ever I asked for or about something the info was given and it was all good. Restaurant review and sight seeing spots were perfect. Local knowledge was also very good, I was told on arrival that the area was not the very best however like any major city if you have your witts about you you will be fine.

The room that I stayed in was relaxing, clean and very comfortable, I must admit that the reason that I booked the hotel was purely becasue of the look of it, and the kitch way it looked on line, I loved the fact that all the original styles were kept but modernised internally, I found out after that some of the bathrooms in the other rooms have recently undergone renovations but I found mine perfectly fine, however I would have explored upgrade options if I had of known.

Other than that I don't know what else to say but I will be mack, thats a fact and I have allready told so many people about you hotel that I am sure there will be some more Australian visitors soon...including me

THANK YOU .....TAHNK YOU .....THANK YOU for an awsome time, and also thank you to Matt and Dave for just being excelent city guides, the restaurant on Tuesday night that Matt suggested was AWSOME and I must say a big thanks to Raphael and the guys in the Restaurant and Bar, AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME to say the least, those Lychee Martini's were the best that I have had in ages, and the food was TOP 10 the restaurant is beautiful and I have some amazing pictures to remind me of my visit, the pool area at night is spectacular and you must include pics of the tree at night, the only sad thing about my trip was that I was there mid week, but itwas going to cost me more that my return flight price to change my books and stay for the weekend

Thanks everyone

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 6 April 2009

After staying in many San Francisco hotels,we finally found the one we would return to again & again. Eco-friendly,customer friendly,car friendly. Everything we want when we travel for business & need to relax afterwards. Free parking, a nice bar,restaurant,pool,peaceful surroundings & extra helpful staff. Even the neighborhood doesn't put us off. Good restaurants-especially Vietnamese nearby.We love it here.Rock & Roll atmosphere without the TV's being thrown out the windows! If only they had rock & roll in the Bambuddha Lounge.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Big Sur, California
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here within the last 2 weeks. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and our private balcony was a nice thing to have too. Although it was a little scary in the area surrounding the hotel at night, daytime was much better...The courtyard is peaceful and overflowing with plants and art. The hospitality at the front desk was amazing as well....I will definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple